Issues with CTS2 Pro on an early '04 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2003/2004 General Discussion General Discussion for the Early (2003/2004) Common Rail No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Issues with CTS2 Pro on an early '04

Purchased a CTS2 Pro to replace my analog gauges and eventually control HP tuning once I decide to make the switch from my Smarty. Having issues with the CTS2 Pro making the gauge cluster freak out. Sometimes all the gauges will intermittently fall to zero then come right back. Other times just one or two gauges will fall to zero. Other times, the low fuel light and alarm will activate for a second. Edge thought it was in the monitor or the OBDII cable so both have been replaced with no change. I have checked the OBDII connector, pins and wiring and everything looks good. Done a wiggle test on the wires and that doesnt make it do it. I can unplug the CTS2 from the truck and all the issues go away so something in the CTS2 is the cause. Anyone else experienced this on a 03-early 04 truck? Thanks.

2004 2500 QCSB 4x4, 35's, FBD 5", BMS 50Hp, Smarty SO6, Firepunk Street/strip, S&B, Raptor 150, GDP filter, Optix gauges 1998 2500 QCSB 4x4, 12v, 4" exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Diesel Head

Yep, its a known issue, and not just on 03-early 04 models. Been dealing with Edge for a couple months now. The unit has been reset twice.... which did nothing but make me set everything up again twice. I sent it in, and they sent it back... telling me nothing is wrong with the device. If the device is good, then they have issues with either their power or accessory cables, as everybody says the same thing.... unplugging the unit stops the cluster issue. Also, its funny they never ask people to send in the cable, only the device. Im not about to spend another $300 replacing cables (and that doesnt count 2 pressure sensors) in the hopes it will fix my almost $700 paper weight.

Edge needs to step up and do something about this. Too many people (and not just Cummins owners) having these issues. Its not my port, as 4 other devices perform flawlessly when plugged in to the OBDII port.

2004.5 2500/QCSB/SLT/48RE/Goerend Billet 15SS/4WD/3.73's/35-12.50-17E Nitto Terra G2's/Chrome Moto Metal 962 17x10 -24/HBS 2.5" Front & Thuren Adj Shackles Rear/ Rough Country Shocks, Dual Stabilizer & Adj Control Arms/ Synergy Steering & Adj Track Bar/Air Raid Dry/GDP Filter & Big Line Kit/4" Stainless-Turbo Back/Bush Whackers/DeeZee Bars/Bull Bar & 300W LED Light Bar/Android Double DIN Radio With Kicker Amp & JBL's/Smarty S06 & Edge CTS2 Insight
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Diesel Freak

I noticed the same thing with a Kiwi 2 and a cheapo Bluetooth OBDII on an 03 plugged in clusters dead unplugged it's working again, so it isn't just an Edge problem.

Noob learning
The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.
Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Diesel Head

That doesnt take away from the fact that Edge does have a known issue here though

2004.5 2500/QCSB/SLT/48RE/Goerend Billet 15SS/4WD/3.73's/35-12.50-17E Nitto Terra G2's/Chrome Moto Metal 962 17x10 -24/HBS 2.5" Front & Thuren Adj Shackles Rear/ Rough Country Shocks, Dual Stabilizer & Adj Control Arms/ Synergy Steering & Adj Track Bar/Air Raid Dry/GDP Filter & Big Line Kit/4" Stainless-Turbo Back/Bush Whackers/DeeZee Bars/Bull Bar & 300W LED Light Bar/Android Double DIN Radio With Kicker Amp & JBL's/Smarty S06 & Edge CTS2 Insight
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Good to know. I haven't had any issues with other components plugged into my truck, just the CTS2 Pro. I have done all their checks, replaced the CTS2 and ODBII cable and done their checks again with no improvement. When I call in, they act like they have never heard this issue before and it must be an issue with the truck. Kinda disturbing when you spend $800 plus on something that causes other issues.

2004 2500 QCSB 4x4, 35's, FBD 5", BMS 50Hp, Smarty SO6, Firepunk Street/strip, S&B, Raptor 150, GDP filter, Optix gauges 1998 2500 QCSB 4x4, 12v, 4" exhaust.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Diesel Head

Eggggggggggzactly!!! They know about it. Ive read about it here on this forum, and other forums. Its also incriminating how they know its not the devices themselves, but never ask for you to send in any of the cables so they can be checked.

The only test I havent done is to unplug the addon sensors/cables, and just run the device plugged straight into the port. If that fixes it, it tells me its their sensor cabling, which is stupid expensive, and I wont replace. If it doesnt fix it, then it is their OBDII cable.

When the port/connection itself poses no issues whatsoever to a Smarty (and any slight issue can cause errors in a Smarty, thats well known) or to an OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool, or to 2 different Snap-On, professional scanners..... then its not the port/connections.

Yep.... $800 paper weights suck!!!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Diesel Head

Well, the newest test is proving it is in Edge's external sensor cabling, as suspected. I unplugged the 2 external plugs that feed the 3 external sensors I have..... so the CTS2 is now plugged directly into the OBDII post.... and I have NOT experienced the cluster malfunctions since. Edge was fully aware that my 3 external sensors started going haywire at the same time, and right before the cluster issue started. So I have trouble beieving its the actual sensors, as that means their EGT sensor, and 2 PSI sensors all went out at exactly the same time? I dont think so. Im thinking there is a major issue either with their proprietary daisy chain plug, or the wiring from the plug out to the sensor. Either way, they are going to be replacing some equipment, as I didnt even get through the 1 year warranty before this thing started messing up, and as I have said, .

jd250r.... try unplugging any external sensors you have, and see if that helps

Just so everyone has an idea of what people have tied up in these systems, only to have them malfunction before the warranty runs out even:

$430 - Insight CTS2 84130
$153 - Universal Sensor Cabling 98605
$133 - Pressure Sensor 98607
$133 - Pressure Sensor 98607
$101 - EGT Sensor 98611
$40 - Starter Cable 98602
$990

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

I have unplugged my EAS cable that is hooked to the OBDII cable that runs a EGT probe, Trans temp probe and a pressure sensor for boost and it still did it. My kit acted up from the moment I installed it on my truck in March. The first issue was the EAS sensors wouldn't read, then the cluster issues the next day. The new CTS2 and ODBII cable they sent me took care of the EAS sensors not reading but not the cluster issue. I will try disconnecting the EAS plug from the ODBII cable again and see if anything changes and report back. Glad to know I'm not the only one was issues when Edge acts like I am.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Diesel Head

Update:

After driving the truck all week with the 2 external sensor plugs/3 external sensors unplugged..... the gauge cluster has not flaked out one single time. This is pretty much proof that the problem lies in Edge's sensor cables. There is just no way that all 3 sensors went haywire all at once. Even if they had, I replaced the 2 PSI sensors, and brand new ones wouldnt read correctly either.

After being told by Edge that the device itself tested good, and not having them offer or suggest anything else, I contacted them again. After contacting them and confronting them about these issues and them never asking for any cables to be sent in with the unit to be tested, and that I was not going to drop this until it was resolved..... they changed their tune and asked for the cables and sensors to be sent in for testing. I will try to get them sent in next week. I know they have had major issues with the EGT sensors already, and have had to replace a lot of them.

Yes, they are going to check out the cables, but I shouldnt have had to push it this hard to get them to do so. They should have asked for the cables to be sent in the first time, with the device. Over $300 for just the cables, on a device that this is a known issue on, where they say the device itself.... tests ok. Not too happy with Edge right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode