Cummins Diesel Forum banner

semi wheels

30K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hired Gun 
#1 ·
so will any semi wheel work? as long as you get the 8 to 10 bolt adapters? reason i ask is, im sure there are deals to be had at a semi truck recycler for wheels. what about bus wheels?

#2 ·
Keep in mind there are two different size wheels that are used on semi's: 22 inch low profile, and 24 inch. Which ones are you looking for?
:flag1:

#4 ·
There are a few things you need to worry about. There are different bolt patterns in the Alcoas. So you need wheels for the correct bolt pattern of the adaptors you plan on using. Stay away from steel wheels unless you use two for the inners in the rear. The steels are just to heavy. As far as tires goes, most commercial tires are out of round. There are some tire companies that make good round tires and the Sumitomos are one of them. If you get a set of tires that are out of round, it's hard to get a good balance. But, you can have them shaved to true them up. It's best to spend the extra time and money on good tires. This will cause less problems down the road.

Reactions: SDDUALLY4x4
#8 ·
Well, it depends on what you want. I got my setup from www.duallywheels4u.com I just didn't won't to worry about having to refurbish and polish out a set of used wheels and then worry about if they are damaged in any way. Adaptors are going to run around $900 and then around $1500 for tires. So depending on how much you can get a used set for, it may or may not pay off to fix a used set.

and which one am i looking for?
You are looking for hub-piloted wheels to use with the adaptors.

#10 ·
Yes. www.duallywheels4u.com has this listed on there website: 22.5 Classic - 4 Aluminum, 2 Steel Wheels + 255/70R22.5 ST727 HWY Tires, Sale Price $3,699.00 + shipping. You can allow somewhere around $400 for shipping.

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
If you plan on buying tires then haveing them trued, make sure you have a place local that will do it. i couldn't find anyone. Ended up my tires are true and balanced and I still have vibrations. I am going to install centramatics this weekend and will post my findings.

My adaptors are set up for lug centered rims so I have those. it doesn't matter which type of rim you use, just make sure they match the adaptors and spin true. Mine spun within a .001.

If i add it all up, i have saved about $1000 but aren't done yet. It is def worth the piece of mind to buy new and don't look back!!!! The guy that sold me mine said "Just throw a bag of equal in em and they'll smooth right out." YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

#14 ·
I am in the same boat, but I found a local place selling brand new alcoas for $300 a rim, it meets or beats any online places, so it's pretty tempting. I can't imagine any problem with brand new alcoas as long as they are as they say and actually new, etc?

Also with tires, my though is just go to a truck shop and buy them instead of shipping? I gotta think most places will be pretty dang competitive in pricing and not worth shipping?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.