Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Why loss of antifreeze and serpentine belt?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  stacked cummins 
#1 ·
Pulling off the highway I lost power steering. When I stopped to check I had antifreeze steadily leaking and the serpentine belt was off track. Will a bad water pump cause the belt to jump? What else should I be looking for? Thanks for any feedback.

#2 ·
Check if water pump seized up mine locked up when it went bad and took out the belt as well

#3 ·
Probably due for a new water pump. Just replaced mine cause it started leaking coolant in my garage.

Reactions: StansDodge
#4 ·
Will a faulty water pump cause the belt to jump?

#5 ·
I assume it depends on how BAD it is. If its bad enough to have enough play in the pulley i can see it wobbling a little, giving the belt ability to jump. Its possible.

#6 ·
Thanks, K9. I assume the loss of the belt is why I lost the power sterring as well.

#7 ·
The serpentine belt runs a lot! Your alternator, water pump, power steering pump,radiator pulley AC and also has an automatic tensioner, idler pulley and of course the crankshaft pulley. If your belt broke you will NOT have brakes, or like you said power steering etc.. . The truck will run but it is not safe for multiple reason like overheating etc.. My belt broke in my yard 50 yards from the garage. I started the trick and carefully drove it in. Parked it and then bought a new gates HD belt, new water pump and also I found that the idler pulley (small pulley on the top of the belt routing) was bad. Replaced all 3 and been good ever since. Hope this helps. Good luck!

#8 ·
Oh and a bad WP or idler pulley would prolly cause it jump a groove, but I would replace and keep an eye on it.. if it jumps after replacing parts then you may be due for a new tensioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.