Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Aux Fuel tank hook up help

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  double g ranch 
#1 ·
So I am going to bolt a fuel tank were my spare tire goes since I run oversized tires I cant fit a spare tire in the spare tire spot. ummmmmmm how do I plumb an aux tank into my stock tank??? Im sure there is a website that I havnt seen. But I have typed in spare tire aux fuel tank, and I dont get much. Does anyone know of a company that makes them?

#3 ·
your going to need a pump i would think cause it is going to be lower than the factory tank....i have mine tied into my filler neck......your going to need to pump it to the filler neck....there is a guy on here who did it so maybe he will chime in.....he used 2x4 blocks of wood though to help with the mounting of the tank:confused013:

#4 ·
well after a little poking around... this seems to be a viable option for you.
Dodge Cab Chassis Fuel Tank
as the only companies that are makeing spare tire tanks are for fords... so unless you wanna try those.. the only downside is that it doesnt looks like they connect the 2 tanks... and the filler ends up in the wheel well.. but heres that too... AeroTanks-we specialize in auxiliary fuel tanks.

and if your looking for more fuel both of those sites offer Bigger stock tanks if thats an option?

#5 ·
Thanks for the Aero tank LInk I had looked at them but they dont have any pics. I was the kid that read picture books.:lol4: And the first link only give me another 8 gallons ontop of my 32gal tank. I dont see the point in going through all that hassle. But that just me.

I was thinking if I put a Y in the filler tube then I would only need one.???

Stay tuned I'll be home monday or sunday and the creative juices might start flowing.

#8 ·
But the wife and daughters all have to pee so often it wouldn't save me any headache. My 05 gets almost 20 MPG on the highway and the 34 gallon tank is good for over 500 miles. I even have to pee before then! :lol4:
UMMMMMM thats what the wide mouth gatorade bottle is made for :lol4: keep on haulin :peelout. I wish sooo bad right know I had an aux tank. Im in Maine working and I have to drive 10 hours to my shop then load up my trailer and haul out to Missouri just south of Omaha NB.

#7 · (Edited)
haha i know what you mean about the pictures.

well heres my thoughts...
the whole no sleep think gives you time to think.. this was my question of the evening.

to share the 2 tanks you'll either need.
1. One tank above the other: Gravity fed from the aux to the stock tank... not truly viable because of your need for bed space.

2. a transfer pump. something to move the fuel from one to the other. or a seperate pump like a fass or something to just run as a seperate tank all together.

or this... lol after i got looking theres a kit.Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank — Fits Ford and Dodge Trucks, Model# 011025 | Auxiliary Fuel Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

as for tank options...
few sites here...
#1 RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank — 20-Gallon Capacity, Model# 72587 | Auxiliary Fuel Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

#2 RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank — 45 Gallon, Model# 71083 | Auxiliary Fuel Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment
#3 Transfer Flow ICC tanks
but thats all i got for now... i'll keep the gears goin on this tho... but i dunno what the deal is i get 7.6L/100km or 32.6MPG outta my truck every weekend. cruise and follow the speed limit. only mod is my 4" exhaust?

#9 ·
ok tell me if my thoughts are correct.

I can use steel for a tank

I need a special fuel transfer pump

Or can I use any type of fluid 12volt pump

The fuel pump isnt in the tank there for I can tie into the fuel line after the stock tank and gravity will take place?

The reason I dont go out and look myself is its 0 out and im at a motel and dont want to go crawling under my truck with a flashlight. lol Lame reason I know lol

#10 ·
A little different in location, but same principle.

I pump from my aux. tank in the bed into the ventline of my OEM tank. The flow series is: bottom / side drain of aux tank, through manual valve (in case of need for manual emergency shut-off), through filter, through electric solenoid valve, through pump, to OEM tank vent line.

A switch opens the solenoid valve and turns my pump on at the same time.

Any diesel rated fuel pump will do. Steel tank is OK - mine is aluminum so no corrosion (3/16" material minimum, 1/8" will crack at some point IMHO).

#11 ·
okay, need your help...I also am connecting an aux fuel tank from my bed to my main tank. This is on a 2011 deisel...I was going to get the Northern tool aux tank kit for the filler neck, but read on the web that 2011's come with a standard aux fuel port with a 1/4 inch nipple. Can't verify this with my dodge dealer...does anyone know if this is true? If so, you don't need any kit's, just gravity feed from the aux tank to the main tank. Thanks for your help....double g ranch

#13 ·
for a fuel transfer pump I would get a little facet pump. they take any kind of fuel and are cheap.

Joe

#16 ·
Thank you, this is exactly where I originally found the info....showed it to the dodge Mx and he said it depended on which model I had....I am thinking all models have this port. Could not find it on my tank as you need to drop the tank to get to the top....so will wait until my tank is almost empty and check it out. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.