Cummins Diesel Forum banner

code p2509

410K views 73 replies 46 participants last post by  GASKICKER 
#1 ·
Check engine light came on. Scanned it and it said that I had 1 code.(p2509 powerdowndata lost error)

Anyone have any ideas what this is?

#2 ·
what year and engine truck do you have? Take a minute and fill out your signature, and we can help you out :thumbsup

#4 ·
check your battery terminals, and make sure they are tight and not corroded. :thumbsup

#5 ·
Did you recently add any equipment that required grounding on the fender ground bolt? That ground in particular is sensitive to alteration and can cause that code if not tightened enough when reinstalled.

#7 ·
where is the fender ground bolt located? (besides on the fender :)

my 07 6.7 shows the p2509 code as well, but the TSB mentioned only says it is for the 5.9 cummins. any thoughts?

#9 ·
I am not sure if the 6.7 has it in the same spot, but it is pretty much right in the middle of the battery on the drivers side fender. It bolts right through with a 10 or 12mm bolt I think. For that matter, I don't know if that is the same place the ECM is grounded for the 6.7 vs 5.9 either.

#10 ·
Mine just popped this code up this morning. I put the truck in high idle to warm up and it shut off maybe 3 minutes later. I go outside and it fires right back up but this code is present. Any ideas?

#11 ·
Same here! Mine popped up this morning too along with P0489, it cranked VERY slow and then fired up (made a funny noise in the engine compartment) but that code won't go away. I'm really thinking batteries are going bad and the cold is making it noticable...I'm still running the stock batteries from 07

Anyone any ideas?

#12 ·
This just happened to me this morning. I went out to crank the truck and warm her up and nothing. Ultimately it was the batteries, but I get a CEL and the codes are P2509 and 0513.

Not sure what the deal is, but I'm thinking it has something to do when the truck loses power since we're all getting this with bad batteries. I'm driving it tomorrow and getting it reset at parts store and we'll see what happens.

Reactions: grizz7318
#13 ·
yup, I just removed the code with my XRT and it hasnt done it since (BUT hasn't cranked as slow either as the mornings were not AS cold) but I'm thinking I need to replace my batteries.

#14 ·
Good idea. I just replaced mine and now no worries on starting. Also, I noticed the CEL and codes cleared after I replaced my batteries.

#15 ·
my truck just started doing this i just changed the batteries and its still doing it.....did anybody figure out y?

#16 ·
I believe it has to do with the batteries being too low on power for the ECU.

Once you change out your batteries it should reset itself after +/- 6 starts and stops. Mine reset automatically after I started and stopped the truck a few times and then drove it normally.

#18 ·
idk if this has anything to do with it but when i start my truck my alt gauge doesn't come up right away it will take about 30 sec and then it will slowly move up to about 15volts.

#19 ·
That is from the grid heater cycling. If you watch your headlights or dome light, you'll see it go bright and dim as well :thumbsup:

Reactions: retiredsmketr
#21 ·
mine si throwing the code and also is wanting to die when it idles...are my batteries bad and the cold causing the lopenad dying when it first starts and idles?

#22 · (Edited)
if u want pm me, mine just did that and i fixed it.......check ur batteries, check the battery post(clean them, then grease), check and clean ur ground to ur block of ur motor, check ur fuel and fuel/water sep filter(clean/change) and after u do that put alot of injector cleaner in ur next few tanks....let me know if any of this helps. and clear ur code after u do this with the key on-off-on-off-on-off.

#27 ·
The crank shaft one.....

#29 ·
Ya sometimes it wanted to do it, y? That happen to u?

#31 ·
no worries, its cool! after i changed my filters it slowly disappears and not doing it anymore.

Reactions: GrgurichD
#32 ·
So is the general consensus that changing the batteries fixes the P2509? My trucks been starting really weak and threw P2509 and P1740 (think this one's from the low-stall converter I threw in). Have new batteries solves the weak start and codes? Report back! thanks!! :thumbsup:

#33 ·
Batteries have fixed everyone's P2509 issue that I know of.

#34 ·
New batteries fixed mine, too! Make sure you change both. Six months ago, Autozone argued with me and only replaced only one of my failed bats (only 13 months old). Today, the second battery went bad so they ended-up replacing both for free.
I wish they would have listened to me six months ago. Good luck!

#35 ·
I've just got this code P2509 last week. Couldn't figure it out at first, until the starter wouldn't engage. Used a hydrometer on the batteries, each have one cell very low, SG=1.150. I'm using a slow charger and the passenger side is at 1.250 on the bad cell, the drivers side is still at 1.150. I have read that the PCM takes voltage from the drivers side and must see 12 or 12.3. If it doesn't it lights up the CE lamp. I think it still has the OEM batteries.

Today I may swap sides on the batteries, then see if that changes things.
Besides I feel like doing a couple of 60 lbs deadlift :doh:

That will give me a chance to clean the terminals as well.

2007 RAM 2500 5.9 SLT QUAD CAB

#36 ·
hi, my8, P2509 "ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent,
it is probable a bad connection to the engine computer. It's got two power feeds, switched/key and constant. The motor won't run without the switched key power on. Long story short, the computer can detect if the power leads aren't solid. That code should give the dealer something to look for. Before bringing it in check the battery terminals, all the fuses, all the relays, and the PCM connector itself (if it's easily accessable).

#37 ·
New to me '08 6.7L. When I hooked up my scanguageII it shows P2509 and it will not clear. 2 new batteries about a month ago. Any idea what I should be looking for? Should I just get her back to the dealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.