Rear main seal - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear main seal

Well i have 33000 miles on the old girl (07.5 ) and she needs a rear main seal put in thank god its under warrenty
2007 Mineral Gray 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed auto,6in Bds lift,35in motorcraft courser ats,5.9 Flat air filter,BayArea 4in TBE ,Missing EGR must have fell off Vortex Bedliner and Sprayed Rockers, Chrome door handles
porkchop2245 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
TE Writer

Dude,

I find that you just had this happen also, I had mine go out yesterday. Let me tell you the scoop on this I was told about. Seems that late model 5.9's was the first to have this happen, the rear main seal would actually walk itself out and end up leaking really bad once it walked all the way out...

I went into my dealer this afternoon and told him I had the rear main seal leaking so bad that if I didn't know better I would swear the seal had pushed all the way out, and then I sort of laughed a little...

He then said you are probably right in the fact that they have had more than a few of the latest model 5.9's do this very thing and Cummins swear they had not changed a thing on them. He did say that mine was the first 6.7 he has heard about doing this. I got 152K on the clock as of this afternoon.

Truck has oil under it from nose to tail and even drifted back under the gooseneck trailer also. Thing is one really bad mess under there right now and dripping all over... I have an appointment to have mine fixed Monday as well as a host of things like the tranny oil and filter changed, PS fluid, brake fluid all R&R'd along with a new belt and running the valve rocker arms clearance out to have them setup dead nuts for the solid lifters... Should be a scarry bad repair bill by the end of the day LOL...

I LOL and told the service writer and the tech I should just put all the emission equipment back on and it wouldn't need a rear main seal with how bad nasty thick the oil gets in a few hundred miles LOL... Its all that way thinner oil now days that has made the seal loose and walk out LOL... They thought it was a funny idea.

The damn O'le Dodge of mine sure runs good still and it hurts for more fuel rail pressure badly while I run her very hard up a on ramp while in tow with the trailer...

Think while they do all this to get the rear main seal replaced, I will see if we can't do something like permatex #1 the damn new seal in the block, after hear what I did from them and now reading that you also have the rear main seal out. I hate the Permatex #1, but for something like this and having to yank the tranny out to do the work, Cummins is at fault here for what is going on and that this should never be an issue what so ever. So Permatex#1 it is on mine, screw it. If and when it needs to be replaced for whatever reason, I will grind the seal out LOL...

I am just really lucky this has happened so close to the weekend and that I am off on Mondays and that my dealer can do all this on Monday... Way lucky... I just got one more 500 mile day to limp her through
Khaki-09' Megacab 3500 DRW 4X4;68RFE;3:73's;DPF, EGR & OEM air intake horn all MIA;My own 5" TBE,CoolTube intake w/crankcase revented;Edge-juice w/attitude+Hot;07' intercooler; doubled the OEM Powersteering & Tranny Coolers, Smarty67(ME) Raptor 150 with filter & water seperator and DS-V fuel suction leg. 185 T-stat. Double B&W hitches.ARP Studs. HTT-SS 73/66/13Turbo&Exhaust Manifold.Shaved Head.SunCoast- Comp 68. 285/70-17" Firestone destinations E-rated

Last edited by Jeb_H; 10-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Jeb_H is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

mine went out on my 06 at 80,000...still under cummins 100,000 mile warranty
06 5.9L 48RE slushbox 4x4.smarty revo,boost fooler, auto-meter (boost,tranny,EGT), TGC leveling kit w/ Bilstein 5100's, 295 terra grapplers, fact 4" w/ 8" tip st8, AFE stg2 w/Bladerunner,silencer ring MIA, BD steering brace,8K HID's, goal of 800+rwhp on #2
GOT_SMOKE??2500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yea mine goes in on wens and they said they will have it all day if not into the next morning. so the rear main is under the 100000 miloe warrenty i thought just the 36000 o well had a brain fart lol
2007 Mineral Gray 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed auto,6in Bds lift,35in motorcraft courser ats,5.9 Flat air filter,BayArea 4in TBE ,Missing EGR must have fell off Vortex Bedliner and Sprayed Rockers, Chrome door handles
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

well truck went into shop this morning at 9 am and at 1230 i was driving her home. very easy to change just a pain in butt the rear main seal is 95 bucks
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
TE Writer

Guys,

Here is the ho down I had done this past weekend, sorry its been so long getting this info back up on here as the week has been way to busy on my route.

First PIC is of the seal and how it had walked out as I mentioned. Look close at the PIC and you will see the seal is flush with the crank flange and the seal pocket of the block...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/

Now next is a PIC of the new seal replacing the bad seal. Its countersunk about 3/8" once in place and my tech puts a silicone of sorts on it to make certain it stays in place. I suggested we use Permatex #1 LOL... I didn't want to do this ever again LOL...

Next up is another view of the bad leaking seal...

Then another view of the replaced seal and how much deeper in the block it sits...

Here next is a shot of the seal and the installation tool that countersinks it to proper depth...

Last is a side view of the seal...

So that is the ho-down here and I think the PIC's was good enough to see what happened... Cummins should have addressed this from the get go long ago JIMO and I am sending these PIC's to them and asking them WTF were they thinking and in hopes they send me some funds for my trouble and expense. I can only hope...
Khaki-09' Megacab 3500 DRW 4X4;68RFE;3:73's;DPF, EGR & OEM air intake horn all MIA;My own 5" TBE,CoolTube intake w/crankcase revented;Edge-juice w/attitude+Hot;07' intercooler; doubled the OEM Powersteering & Tranny Coolers, Smarty67(ME) Raptor 150 with filter & water seperator and DS-V fuel suction leg. 185 T-stat. Double B&W hitches.ARP Studs. HTT-SS 73/66/13Turbo&Exhaust Manifold.Shaved Head.SunCoast- Comp 68. 285/70-17" Firestone destinations E-rated
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Same happened to me

Just had it in and at 45k, main seal bad. Under warranty.

Worse problem, my injectors have been going out left and right. Finally Chrysler is willing to replace them all. Trying to get them to cover labor and flush of the fuel system/tank cleanse too since they insist poor fuel.

At same time I am adding the Glacier kit (2 micron filter) to avoid these stupid injector problems they won't fess up to. I know too many guys with 06 and 07 trucks having injector issues

Last edited by bigerndiesel; 11-17-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos
bigerndiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

What is causing these seals to walk out?
07.5 6.7L QC 4x4, Auto, HS Black Maxx, Airaid Intake, 20" AR Wolverines on Nitto Terras, MBRP 5" EX with 5050XL Aero Turbine, K2 EGR Delete, MP8, Amsoil BMK25 Bypass, Procomp dual stabilizer kit with fox dampers, BD Steering bracket.
ram07saw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

This might shock you but my rear main seal went out at approx 125k miles went to the dealer to have the oil changed on a monday by the next wednesday am puddle of oil under my truck in the am when I woke up bottom of truck coated and I am still 2.25 hrs from my mechanic 125 miles
start driving home keeping an eye on the dipstick every 50 miles strange still looks full get it to my mechanic.... He thought it was strange for my 6.7 to have blown a rear main at 125k miles I thought they make a million seasls I got a bad one truck leaks oil next night still he drains and replace the main seal was good just walked out....
Even weirder he drained 3 gallons of oil out of my truck still one quart in filter there is only supposed to have 3 gallons including filter and I leaked for the way home and the previous day.....Oh truck was checked for injector leak to make sure truck was not making it's own oil
When dealer changed my oil the week before they overfilled my oil and that caused the seal to back out dealership paid almost $700.00 for the repair moral of the story check your oil level after a oil change
07 6.7 4x4 2500 6 spd Auto, Inferno Red Big Horn Edition w/Leather Interior, egr/dpf came up missing, Pyro/Tranny/Boost Gauges, Araid drop in air filter, Smarty S67 sw3 vgt3, Reese Tow Beast Class V Reciever 14k Rated bumper pull w/weight distribution and dual cam sway on trailer, Air Lift Air Bags w/onboard compressor and single gauge, Extendable heated/power led signal/marker tow mirrors, Dual Beam Spot and Fog Lights
double d truck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
TE Writer

Yeap, you over fill the crank case and you can get the level up into the crankshaft where it pounds the oil. All the pounding of the oil will blow out the seals... The issue I had with my 07' truck was the seal was to loose in the block and it would just walk out like that. I was also told there was quite a few of the late model 5.9's that had these issues also...

So, bottom line when they replace your seal they need to put some sealant on the seal housing and then install it... Without the sealant, your going to have a second seal go bad sooner or later...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You guy's only used selant on the outside of the seal right? not on the inside that touches the crank? How are these holding up? What sealer do you all suggest?

thanks
Ken
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.