Cummins Diesel Forum banner

coolant change. How much coolant do I need?

17K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Motorhead_22 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm planning on changing my coolant out here and I was wondering how much I need to get? Im going to get the mopar coolant at the dealer. Which is straight coolant and needs to be mixed. So much coolant and how much distilled water do I need?

#2 ·
The coolant capacity is in your owners manual. Whatever it is just cut it in half and that's how much of each.
I think I bought 2 gal of antifreeze and 2gal of water for the fill and another 4gal of water for the flush.
Have you considered the zerex antifreeze. Its cheaper, provides the same protection and is available at napa

#5 ·
Is the zerex coolant the distributor for mopar coolant? I checked at the parts store and it's $5/gallon cheaper than the mopar.

#3 ·
You need to remove water pump to get all coolant out. You can really flush block with pump out also. Two gallon antifreeze and two gallon distilled water will do fine. Buy another gallon of H2O if want to give final flush before fill. Thermostat ???? sure!

#4 ·
yes im changing the thermostat and radiator cap also. Am I going to lose a bunch of coolant with removing the thermostat? I'm not going to remove the water pump. That's too much of a hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.