Found grease point 6.7L driveshaft, but now what to do? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Found grease point 6.7L driveshaft, but now what to do?

I finally found the grease point for the front driveshaft on my 2011 6.7L, and I bought the 1.5-inch needle nose adapter for my grease gun. Tried spooging the grease in there with the needle nose, but when I pull the needle nose adapter away, all I see is grease around the fitting. It's as if the grease is getting blown outside, not into, the fitting.

How are these fittings supposed to work? Looks like there's a little ball at the center of the fitting -- should I expect to push the ball inward with brute force, and then pump the grease? Or does the pressure of the grease force the ball inward on its own, allowing grease to get past it? Is there a spring behind the ball? Should I break it free first by pushing it inward with a (very strong) needle?

Why the hell couldn't they use a zerk. I'm 500 miles overdue and worrying that the front driveshaft isn't properly lubed.

Last edited by amp2005red; 03-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.
amp2005red is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You need a needle tip for your greasegun.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.
Motorboat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat View Post
You need a needle tip for your greasegun.
Yes - already done - now I hate to sound like an idiot but forgive me... I mashed the needle nose adapter snug up against the fitting and squeezed the pistol-grip trigger, and when I pull it away, most of the grease (all? not sure) is coming out around the fitting... not into it. It's almost as if the pressure of the grease isn't forcing the little ball back and allowing the grease to go inside the fitting, so the only other place for it to go is around (the outside of) the fitting.

Sorry for my ignorance... I know this should be simple.
amp2005red is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Did you jack up the front passenger side tire so you can turn the fitting at the best possible angle. Go at it from the passenger tire side in front of the cross member. I haven't tried yet as I'm waiting on my needle to come in the mail, so hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I don't exactly how the fitting works, but the needle does kind of click in there. NOT with force or an actual click, but I just mean you can feel when it's where it's suppose to be. When it's connected right ALL the grease will go in. If any is not going in I don't think any is going in at all...
DieselWorkin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp2005red View Post
Yes - already done - now I hate to sound like an idiot but forgive me... I mashed the needle nose adapter snug up against the fitting and squeezed the pistol-grip trigger, and when I pull it away, most of the grease (all? not sure) is coming out around the fitting... not into it. It's almost as if the pressure of the grease isn't forcing the little ball back and allowing the grease to go inside the fitting, so the only other place for it to go is around (the outside of) the fitting.

Sorry for my ignorance... I know this should be simple.
The needle we're talking about looks like a syringe needle is that what you're using or are you using the tapered pointed tip?

The needle actually slides in the hole.
08, 3500, mega, 4X4, Passenger Industries manifold & tube, sub-zero intercooler, Flo-pro 5" SS TBE, Hot Damn 175 ATT, ARP 2000's, Nitto Terra Grapplers, SRT hood, Amp power steps, B&W turnover & Tow n Stow, line-xtra, limo tint... great big nuts.
cntryby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Got two types

Need to use the top one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BILLS06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BILLS06 For This Useful Post:
2012 RAM 3500 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLS06 View Post
Got two types

Need to use the top one.
Did you post those backwards? I use the bottom one, I don't see how the other one would work...
DieselWorkin is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselWorkin For This Useful Post:
2012 RAM 3500 (08-18-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
you just attach it to the gun like normal no having to make special adapters
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Glad to Be Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did you find that one?

Last edited by 2012 RAM 3500; 08-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.
2012 RAM 3500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have both but I use the one pictured on the bottom . (bigger of the 2)

I don't see the syringe needle supplying much grease or working very well?
All you do is hold it firmly in place and give your grease gun a couple of pumps.

If you haven't done this before you may need to clean the grease point first.
Snofarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I use the bottom one also. I use about a 4" one that I bent into a 45 degree angle. Much easier to get it onto the fitting at the right angle.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.