fuel additives in a 6.7 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
fuel additives in a 6.7

Are fuel additives in a 6.7 needed. I know the 6.7 is designed for ULSD but I still think running a load of dry fuel would be harmful to the fuel system. I've been using stanadyne lubricity formula since day one. Am I wasting my money? It only costs about a dollar per tank.
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
2007 cummins 6.7 liter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My opinion is no, its not needed and yes you are wasting your money, but if it makes you feel good, WTH
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

so what's the difference between the 6.7 fuel system and the 5.9. People with the 5.9 common rails would have trouble sometimes if they got a dry load of fuel and then it would cause the injector to stick open and burn a piston.
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I ran my 5.9 on LSD and ULSD for several years. No additives and no problems in the 14 years I owned it.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I use the XDP additive. It gives me another mile per gallon. Cost per fill is about a quarter. Son uses it in his 5.9 and it eliminated all his smoke. That means to me the fuel is burning cleaner. He gets about 1/2 mpg gain.
2007 2500 Mega 6.7L EFI Live, ATS Stage 2 68RFE w/ CoPilot, MHP/B&G TCM Mod Tune, 2 WD w/ NV271 Manual Transfer Case, Edge JWA Gauges, Nitto Terra Grappler 285 70 17, Fixed the DPF, NOX and EGR, much better now, AFE Stage 2 Pro Dry, Shibby Stage one intake, BM EWG, Autometer 7504/7505/7506 Boost gauges, Maxxbrake controller, Rancho 9000XL with MyRide, Hellwig air bags, A wealth of stealth.
2500MegaDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

so the injectors don't rely on the fuel to be the proper lubricity to prevent getting stuck either closed or open?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up more info needed

bump back up for more comments .
07 3500 6.7 Megacab,DRW. j35 with smarty jr 22Me tune. SW#2 with all defaults pod 99, CAT and DPF cans there but hollow ( thanks previous owner), no CEL thanks smarty, H&S egr delete, Throttle valve unplugged, egr cooler unplugged.
papuscat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm not reading about stock CTD's with injector or fuel pump problems. The new VW's, GM's and Fords with the Bosh CP 4.2 are a different story.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I filled up without any additive and it seemed to run a little rougher at idle so I went back to using the additive. I'm still pretty sure the injectors need to be lubricated properly to open and close.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

one fill up is not going to make or break the bank but if you do any type of research on using additives one, the right one with centene will improve mpg a noticable diffrence and aside from running better, and burning more effectivly it also prolongs the life of your pumps and injectors, the mpg alone is worth the diffrence i use one shot, the cost vs better mpg's alone pays for itself.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Diesel fuels with cetane number lower than minimum engine requirements can cause rough engine operation. They are more difficult to start, expecially in cold weather or at high altitudes. They accelerate lube oil sludge formation. Many low cetane fuels increase engine deposits resulting in more smoke, increased exhaust emissions and greater engine wear.

Cetane number is a measure of the ignition quality of a diesel fuel. It is often mistaken as a measure of fuel quality. Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay. This is the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTN Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states. "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cedtane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the imnportance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number.

Is a additive needed or required? No
Now and then I will run some Howes for a couple of tanks just to make sure I don't have any gunk developing in my tank or when the temps drop below 20*F

Last edited by Snofarmer; 03-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Snofarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.