DPF-R issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
LIFER

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
DPF-R issues

First off i would like to start off with an apology if I posted this in the wrong area, I am new to posting, but have been doing months of extensive reading through this forum and must say thanks for all the help in which it has provided me.

That out of the way, I've searched high and low through the site and have not been able to find any posts related to my issue, hence my reason for posting.

My problem is; a few months back i purchased a Gearboxz DPF-r 3.0 module, and delete pipe for my 08 mega. Everything has been working fine thus far, except whenever I wait the specified 15 seconds to clear my DTC's and reset my counter, the truck produces white smoke at idle. This happens with and without the exhaust brake on, but worse with it on. It also does it whether the engine temp. is hot or cold, and boy it reeks like diesel. I read that the ex-brake can push the egr open and cause this. so I deleted the egr, and the problem persists. Initial thought is regen, but not 100% as it does not do this if I start the truck up right away and not wait the 15 seconds.

All i have done to the truck is DPF, muffler, and EGR deletes with the DPF-r module, and removed the throttle valve gear.

PLease help, I'm really looking for an explanation as to why this is happening, and what exactly is taking place. Also suggested remedies are much appreciated.

This is my first diesel, and trying to learn as much as possible, I understand they can take alot, but the horror stories of these new 6.7s have me really shook. Just want to make sure anything and everything i do to the truck will be beneficial to both the longevity and operation of the truck.

Thanks alot in advance. JB
1BARN3S is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I too started off with the DPF-R and had nothing but troubles. The place I bought it took it back for a full refund/credit and I got the H&S XRT and never looked back.
The DPF-R I had stop working and was replaced with a new one, then that one crapped out and kept giving me a check engine light????? I took a couple of videos of the issue to prove to them I was doing the steps correctly and they replaced it.
So take it for what its worth and try to get your money back and buy a programmer. I didnt want the extra HP at the time but glad I got rid of the stupid DPF-R and all its troubles

Good luck
Amsoil filter and oil

Arkas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
LIFER

That is def. the alternative I'am looking at, at this point. The XRT is def. a huge consideration of mine. However, I'am really looking to understand as to what is happening and why, so i have better knowledge to look towards the future with. In case down the road I see sumtin similar appear, vice versa. Thanx tho.

ps: would have bought an xrt first, but really worried about the warranty, not sure I have enough trust in the truck to go without it.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Did you take out the butterfly valve or unplug the throttle valve? I cant remember what exactly to do. My dpf-r ran flawless.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
LIFER

I have done neither, the only modification to the throttle valve I have done was remove the actuating gear.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I ran the DPF-r for a long time before I upgraded to a smarty Jr. It worked flawlessly but I never looked to see if there was smoke on the tailpipe during startup. I would say upgrade to a smarty or h&s. It is way simpler than the DPF-r and I think is better for the truck.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
LIFER

The smoking actually doesn't occur during intial start-up, it begins while transmission is engaged, and continues therafter until i shut it down. The smarty jr. was on my list of downloaders I was weighing up, but the EGR deletion procedure was the buzz kill. Glad to hear it's working out for you though.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BARN3S View Post
The smoking actually doesn't occur during intial start-up, it begins while transmission is engaged, and continues therafter until i shut it down. The smarty jr. was on my list of downloaders I was weighing up, but the EGR deletion procedure was the buzz kill. Glad to hear it's working out for you though.
The EGR deletion? All I remember doing for the egr deletion was to unplug the actuator and pull the egr plunger. It is really simple. I think it took me longer to unplug and tape up the sims from the dpf-r than it did to do the egr delete. Sorry about the mistake about the smoking. I really dont know what could have caused that.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
LIFER

Has anyone had similar issues, that didn't involve a DPF-R that might be able to shed some light on the subject. PLZ, I'm desperate here, really worried about potential damage im doing to my truck.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My truck smoked all sorts of white until i correctly deleted the egr.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
LIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel7 View Post
My truck smoked all sorts of white until i correctly deleted the egr.
What exactly constitutes a correct EGR deletion?

I bought the H&S delete, installed just the plate and billet plug in the egr cooler, and removed the egr assembly and crossover tube. Am I missing something?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

What about the servo motor? And throttle valve? Its been so long so i did mine i honestly dont recall. And the delete steps may be different since your not runnin a tuner.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.