repeated P2262 code - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
repeated P2262 code

Is anyone having problems with a constant check engine light and P2262 code. Dealer says just to drive it a little harder to blow the soot out of the DPF, but it's come on 3 times in 2 weeks. Anyone have similar problems or thoughts other than doing the DPF delete, b/c i'm not going to do that yet.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I think they mean blow the soot out of the turbo - I have no idea what the DPF would have to do with a MECHANICAL low boost pressure fault code being set.

Here is the info right from the book on the 2262...

Quote:
The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is electronically activated by the Electronic turbo actuator. The Electronic turbo actuator is a smart device and receives information via the J1939 datalink from the ECM. The Electronic turbo actuator performs its own diagnostics and reports failures back to the ECM using the J1939 datalink. The ECM then decodes the error message and converts it to a fault code. The ECM lights the MIL lamp immediately after the diagnostic runs and fails. The ECM will turn off the MIL lamp immediately after this diagnostic runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.

When Monitored:
Ignition on.

Set Condition:
The VGT sliding nozzle is slow to move or is unable to move to the fully closed position at initial key-on. The physical limits of the VGT sliding nozzle have been found to be greater than or less than 100%.
If you ask me I think there might be a run of bad actuators out there that are either weak or returning bad info back to the ECM - could also happen if there is excessive soot in the turbo that is causing the variable nozzle to stick or not move easily which is why they tell us to run the exhaust brake all the time (Something I don't entirely agree with) or drive the wheels off of it to 'desoot' it.

Something I noticed yesterday while washing my truck is that the actuator appears to be completely exposed to anything coming through the passenger side wheel well such as spray from a hose, pressure washer, car wash, snow etc; I'm sure the unit is 'weatherproof' but I can't figure out why they didn't make an attempt to protect it from the elements.
slagburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Mod

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I've gotten it a total of 4 times now. My tech said the next time it comes on that he'll put a new turbo on. This is over a period of around 5,000 miles that it has come on.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I would NOT drive it any harder.. This is the dealers way of making you pay if it breaks take it in there and tell them to fix it. thats why you have a warrenty isnt it?:thumbsup
GETERDID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slagburn View Post
which is why they tell us to run the exhaust brake all the time (Something I don't entirely agree with)
+1,000,000
Granted I do not have the latest flash yet. I still think them telling you to drive with the E brake on all the time to keep soot from accumulating on the Turbo is a crock of sh!t. This is neither a fix or a preventive measure in my opinion. Since reading about the EB and Turbo combo I have done it non stop (Right after I got my truck). And sure as sh!t Im getting CEL with P2262. Now I know it might be something else but Im willing to bet its not. I know I bought a first year motor and Im willing to deal with the flaws. But if they are just pulling things out of there as @ss to get by, they need to working a little harder.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

As I understand the theory of operation on the exhaust brake the ECM 'modulates' (yanks back and forth) the variable nozzle via the actuator (gives us that wonderful 'jake' brake sound) at a rate determined by a variety of inputs.

This doesn't apply to everyone on here but highway driving in my area usually involves a lot of 70-40-60-20-45-70 mph variations due to the ebb and flow of traffic, under those conditions I might engage the exhaust brake 100+ times within 50 miles which makes me wonder how many times that variable nozzle can be 'modulated' before the mechanical components wear out and cause other problems - my guess is that it will probably survive the warranty and so the dealer is fine with me running the exhaust brake all the time and driving the piss out of my truck.

Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but I intend to have this truck for long time so stuff like that bothers me; for now I run the EB 2 or 3 times a trip which should be enough to keep the soot off it.
slagburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

What's the dealer's normal response to this? Clear the code and ask you to come back if it happens again? Anyone know if Cummins has made any changes to replacement turbos to address this problem?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i agree with slagburn now that i think about it, also since i have an automatic, with the jake my truck will jerk real hard downshifting. towing around 20000 that is not gonna last in my opinion
Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Smells like Bananas

Thanked 1,464 Times in 818 Posts
on the early 6.7 's there was a batch of not bad turbos but turbos with the wrong tolerances. something about the tolerances in them where to tight for all of the carbon build up. i had two replaced on the truck that i lemoned. also in the beginning the turbos didnt function the slide on start up and shut down like they do now. so if you didnt use it for a month or so it would build up with carbon and not function so well. they had a flash to correct that and also that is why they say its good to use them, keep them functioning
Old 01-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Smells like Bananas

Thanked 1,464 Times in 818 Posts
i have wondered the same about the VGT wearing its self out, but how many times can a piston go up and down before the bearing wears out, how many times can a u-joint rotate before it goes out, how many times can the bushing in your 4 link front in function before it wears out, and so on.

we have the best of the turbos. thank god its not a VGT like GM or Furd. we only have a couple of moving parts unlike theres. Dodge doesnt dictate to Cummins on how that engine is built, but i could only worry about those who keep the DPF on, how would the extra back pressure and build up of carbon effect the life of it
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

So after 3 consecutive codes in 2 weeks, I have a new turbo and the truck runs like a champ. Just thought I'd update you guys on the dealer response to the problem.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by metiger0307 View Post
So after 3 consecutive codes in 2 weeks, I have a new turbo and the truck runs like a champ. Just thought I'd update you guys on the dealer response to the problem.

I've now had 5 codes since I bought it in August and mine is going in for a new turbo hopefully this week.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.