P0471 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
P0471

I KEEP GETTING A RECURRING P0471 CODE,EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE..ANY IDEA WHAT COULD BE CAUSING IT? WHERE IS THIS SENSOR LOCATED? IS IT EASILY SWAPPED OUT? THE CEL COMES AND STAYS FOR A WEEK OR SO THEN GOES OFF FOR A DAY OR TWO AND COMES BACK. TRUCK SEEMS TO RUN FINE.
2007.5 megacab laramie 6.7 6speed auto inferno red rhinolining in bed , mopar mud flaps, dominator 2 side steps, aem brute force cai,isspro 3 gauge pillar pod, no engine mods....yet!!! new shoes....nitto terra grapplers 305/55/20 on moto metal 909's 20x9
silverback is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
the sensor is located on the water outlet housing. there is a tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to that sensor that gets plugged with soot.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
ACDC Chapter President aka VACAY!

Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,378 Posts
Just got that code after a weekend of drag racing and getting on the dyno. If u get on it hard and let off several times you will get this. Atleast that was the case for me. It didn't effect performance for me.
Performance by the kids @ Titan Diesel Sports

24v-Mason is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

just popped up again. im gonna remove the piping and clean the line out and clean the sensor just incase its covered in soot.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Do you have a pic or diagram so i can find this damn sensor???
2007.5 megacab laramie 6.7 6speed auto inferno red rhinolining in bed , mopar mud flaps, dominator 2 side steps, aem brute force cai,isspro 3 gauge pillar pod, no engine mods....yet!!! new shoes....nitto terra grapplers 305/55/20 on moto metal 909's 20x9
silverback is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Follow the upper radiator hose back to the engine, that is the thermostat housing. Mounted vertically in the thermostat housing is the sensor, it is kinda on an ear closer to the passenger side. there should be a small hole in the sensor that also needs to be freed of soot.

The sensor, the stainless steel tube, and the casting all need to be cleaned.
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

look at your ex manifold and find the hard steel line coming from it (coming right out the side by the turbo) follow it towards the radiator. right by the thermostate housing you will see a sensor with the wires sticking strait up in the air (three wire) right next to the upper radiator hose. thats the one

Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Just a follow up. I had this problem code for quite a while and fixed it this last weekend. I removed the sensor (again, this is the exh. manifold pressure sensor right by the coolant goosneck). Sure, enough that little elbow was packed solid with carbon. I cleaned it out, deleted the code and it hasn't come back yet.

Here's my procedure (no gaurentees this is the best way, but it worked for me):

1) Remove the harness connection from the sensor
2) Use a 27 mm deep well socket to remove the sensor from the elbow. ( I think 1-1/16 may work too).
3) Remove the stainless pressure tube from the "elbow block" (that the sensor screws into)
4) Scrape out an clean the carbon in the sensor well (from the top).
5) Clean out the horizontal hole that connects the stainless tube to the sensor well. This is a pretty small hole and for me the carbon was packed solidly in there. I used a 1/16" dirill bit by hand to "drill" it ouut. I found it worked to wrap some electrical tape around the shank on the drill bit to get some twisting leverage).
6) Reconnect the stainless tube.
7) Screw the sensor back in.
8) Reconnect the harness to the sensor.
'07.5 2500 ST, 2wd, QCSB, G56 6-speed manual, 3.73 gears. DPF, EGR, IAT, CCV, NOx Cat deletes. Smarty Jr FE tune w/ most adv timing. Homemade ram CAI, Upper & lower grille block, tonneau cover, Dual 150W oil pan heaters ~Fuel mileage obsession~
Diesel-Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Diesel Dave .Tried cleaning that horizontal hole with no success.Did you clean it with the drill bit with the housing still on the truck or does it need to be taken off?Does that hole go clear thru to the stainless tubing?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38short View Post
Diesel Dave .Tried cleaning that horizontal hole with no success.Did you clean it with the drill bit with the housing still on the truck or does it need to be taken off?Does that hole go clear thru to the stainless tubing?
Nope, left it on the truck. I took off the stainless tube and went in with the drill bit from the outside in. There wasn't a ton of room there, but enough to get the job done. I was just twisting the drill bit by hand.
'07.5 2500 ST, 2wd, QCSB, G56 6-speed manual, 3.73 gears. DPF, EGR, IAT, CCV, NOx Cat deletes. Smarty Jr FE tune w/ most adv timing. Homemade ram CAI, Upper & lower grille block, tonneau cover, Dual 150W oil pan heaters ~Fuel mileage obsession~
Diesel-Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.