Cooked my under hood fuse box (Integrated Power Module) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Cooked my under hood fuse box (Integrated Power Module)

My truck ran great last nite. I did catch a small wiff of electrical smoke smell while driving but didn't think much of it, and I shut if off at home with no issues. This morning....It would not start. Fuel pump wouldn't run, Dash didn't work, lights would not work, and engine would not crank over. I Had excellent battery voltage. Tonight i finally narrowed it down to the fuse box power module under the hood. I took it apart and found a burnt area on the circuit board. Has this happened to anyone else? Why did it happen? Is it going to happen again if I buy a new Module? Does anybody know if all of these under hood modules are the same from 06-09 for all rams, or do I need to buy a Diesel specific one? Thanks in advance.
SixPointSeven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPointSeven View Post
My truck ran great last nite. I did catch a small wiff of electrical smoke smell while driving but didn't think much of it, and I shut if off at home with no issues. This morning....It would not start. Fuel pump wouldn't run, Dash didn't work, lights would not work, and engine would not crank over. I Had excellent battery voltage. Tonight i finally narrowed it down to the fuse box power module under the hood. I took it apart and found a burnt area on the circuit board. Has this happened to anyone else? Why did it happen? Is it going to happen again if I buy a new Module? Does anybody know if all of these under hood modules are the same from 06-09 for all rams, or do I need to buy a Diesel specific one? Thanks in advance.
No but I am interested. At what point was the short? Was it wire to wire, wire to ground, or an over current smoke?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
A little more information would be helpful.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Pictures and any post-factory items on the truck? Did you buy the truck new?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I was doing some reading and troubleshooting on an electrical problem for the past month. I had a front end accident in Nov 09, but truck sat for most of 2010 while i was in Iraq so i didn't worry about it. Since i've been back, narrowed it down to the TIPM and heater grid relay. I've fixed the grid relay issue, and batt voltage holds steady now. However, took truck into dealer to have a very small oil leak looked at, and why there is green corrosion on TIPM connectors (specifically, C5 connector). That afternoon, told me TIPM was shorted out and showed me 15 or so pages of stored DTC's. Insurance is going to cover the repair, but the unit itself cost($875 + tx at my dealer. Insurance dropped check off yesterday at dealer so they can order it. I dunno how you can check for shorts / grounds without it. If its shot, fuses aren't blown, and still somewhat works, i'd try and see what kind of current your drawing with it before installing a new one and smoking that. What kind of electrical mods have you installed? Can you post a pic of where its burned at? That will give you somewhat of a clue as to what connector you might be able to isolate the draw to. PM if you need more details on what i mean. I removed, tested, and installed my TIPM about 30 times in december trying to find my problem :-)
07.5 2500, MC, Auto, Rhino Liner, MM, Pyro, 5" TBE, 6" Tip, Muffler DPF EGR w/ cooler ALL Gone, Prodigy, LED Mirrors, EB Always On, S&B CAI, FTE 30", LED Chicken Lights '13 Chaparral 330FBH 5er SOLD '01 2500 Quad

Last edited by cyauch; 01-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.
cyauch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Had the truck one year now, bought it used. All I have is a few extra LED lights, an XRT with deletes, and a snowplow. My plow solenoid runs directly off of my battery. Dealer said he has seen failures from snowplows run from the TIPM. I will post pics tonite of the burnt spot on the printed circuit board.

Last edited by SixPointSeven; 01-25-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think there was another guy who had his fuse block melted also, try searching for it maybe ...i cant remember when or where it was posted...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I did a little reading in some of the docs i have, but you need to either double check or someone more knowledgeable can provide more specifics about this:

I don't know what year your truck is, but from the general notes i have read, it looks like a TIPM from 07.5 and up will work. Didn't find anything saying 06 - 07 wouldn't, but didn't find anything saying it would either. Diagrams look same, as does connector schematics, but need to verify that.

Also, from talking to my SW about my TIPM, simply dropping a new one in place isn't all that has to be done. He mentioned something about programming the VIN and other things into it, along with a flash or two. Also mentioned it has to be able to talk to the other modules as well as the EMIC (i need to double check that acronym) in the instrument cluster. I'm a software engineer, and i was lost as he explained and showed me the procedure's the tech would have to follow. I've got pic's of mine taken completely apart. It's actually two circuit boards mounted in a T, with LOTS of little components and a microprocessor or two also. Has a ton of clear goo on it, so the stuff looks pretty well protected. Will post them up and provide a link to view.
07.5 2500, MC, Auto, Rhino Liner, MM, Pyro, 5" TBE, 6" Tip, Muffler DPF EGR w/ cooler ALL Gone, Prodigy, LED Mirrors, EB Always On, S&B CAI, FTE 30", LED Chicken Lights '13 Chaparral 330FBH 5er SOLD '01 2500 Quad

Last edited by cyauch; 01-25-2011 at 12:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cyauch For This Useful Post:
jpconnors46 (03-15-2012)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Heres a pic of my inside. You can see the burnt spot in the middle of the photo on and above that little black square. And it smells horrible... I have a new one ordered for Friday at the tune of $400. My dealer said it should just be a plug and play. I really hope so, because I don't want to spend any more money to have them flash it... And not to mention, driving a 6.0 powerstroke this week while my truck is dead out in the yard is punishment enough! Thanks for all the input guys.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It was my understanding that during my TIPM replacement the unit must be flashed to your truck. Search TIPM and you should find my post with what my bad TIPM did to me.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomobco View Post
It was my understanding that during my TIPM replacement the unit must be flashed to your truck. Search TIPM and you should find my post with what my bad TIPM did to me.
Yea, in short, that's what i just read out of the FSM also. Specifically mentioned VIN has to be put in it. I guess to talk to the other modules and WCM. Kinda technical, but that's the jist i got from the dissertation. Damn, need a degree in engineering talk to understand what it said
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

My truck lives again. I installed my new TIPM myself at home, and everything seems fine. I had an air bag light on until i checked the fuses in the new TIPM and found that the air bag fuses 20 & 21 (with the safety clip over them) were not pushed in all the way. Light went out, and everything seems to be working normal. I had to use my XRT to delete a hand full of codes from when my TIPM melted down. I plan on swinging into the dealer in the future just to get a flash to make myself feel better. Thanks again for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.