Tie rod end broke while driving. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tie rod end broke while driving.

Had a good scare with my wife yesterday. We had been driving all over town running errands, and when i was turning a corner to enter a carwash, there was a suddenly clunk in the front end and i lost all steering. Getting out, i discovered that the front wheels were splayed out in opposite directions. Looking closer i discovered my passenger side tie rod end had sheared in half. Im not sure how this could have happened as i hardly ever take the truck off road and im not hard on it at all. I had the truck towed back to the stealership as im hoping this is under warranty, as i only have 83000 km on the truck and im pretty sure its 100 000 km or 5 yrs on the powertrain. but if this had happened on the highway we couldve have been seriously hurt.

Has anyone else had this happen on their truck?. And if so, did dodge warranty it?
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You may have the early 08 steering linkage that was installed up until feb 08 before they went to the much stronger parts from feb and later built trucks.
I had to install the new system on my own dime after a long fight with the stealerships in my area. They're such crooks. Good luck.
PS- I'm glad you're ok...that could have been a bad deal.
08 Dodge 2500 6.7L 68RFE 4x4 QC SWB, BFG 285 KO's on Moto Metals, Bushwackers, Westins, Bilstein 5100's, Line-X, BD steering support, upgraded steering linkage, EGR/DPF deletes, Smarty Sr., Edge J/A, AFE stage II dry, FloPro 5" TBE- AWESOME!
highmtncummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

im suprised they would weasel out of that. Whats theyre to debate? if the truck has under so many miles, and the thing broke, as in it needs to be replaced, whats there to discuss?. It should be under warranty, should it not?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

doing more research, i came across a recall put out for this issue.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Recalls, Defects, Recall Reports & Problems at InternetAutoGuide.com

Im definately gonna show this to them if they try to get out of fixing it.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Well....!@#$. They didnt even buy me dinner and theyre !@#$ing me on this one.

They claim the recall fix was done before they took possesion of the truck and sold it to me. Thats BS to me but theyre not budging on it. Im getting the truck towed to my regular mechanic. They wanted 1700$ to fix my entire front end.

Will update as this continues to develop.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

this exact situation happened to me last night! i had it towed to dodge and now they are telling me it may not be covered and will cost over $2k. my truck is a 2009 with 26k miles completely stock. they also said the recall from early last year was unrelated. did they really not cover your repairs? the crazy part is we both could have died and they are claiming no fault.
sunnyg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

My truck has 83000 km on it. They told me the warranty for this fix expired at 80 k.

They also told me the recall fix for this was performed at another dealership, before they took posession of it, and sold it to me. They provided a record of that. I replied to the service manager that whoever did the job sure as hell didnt do it right. He also said this is my fault because i dont get my oil changes done at their dealership, because they inspect for these problems while doing so, which to me is complete BS. They quoted me 1700$ to replace all 4 tie rod ends, in addition to some more "worn out" front end parts. I cant remember the entire list but i have it at home.

I said thats bull...and had my truck towed to my regular mechanic. I trust this guy implicitly, weve done business with him for 12 yrs and hes never ripped us off. He checked it out and quoted me 615$ to install aftermarket moog all the way around. He also said that whatever front end components theyre claiming are worn out is complete bull, they were trying to get more money out of me.

I have to say im not impressed at all. At this point the only reason im even keeping this truck is because of the cummins engine. But this is definately the last chrysler product im going to buy. My dad has a 2008 F350, with 230 000 km on it, and it gets a sh!tkicking all the time because its an oil patch truck. His front end components have never had to be replaced!!

I would definately think theyre going to try to screw you on this one. Take it somewhere else!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have an 07.5 & I had to pay for my new tie-rod & pitman arm assembly myself. My right tie-rod went out @ 50 . But I needed my truck the next morning, so I picked up the upgraded assembly, installed it myself & got them to give it a wheel alignment @ a later date. They did it at their cost. But guys, I only ( I use the term loosely) paid less than 600 bucks with the steering shock. It only took me about 2 hrs to replace it as the pitman arm was sweetheart to get off. So yah they are trying to rip you off. I wouldn't be too hard on Chrysler, all make dealers are ripoffs. Sometimes going to a different one pays off as well.
Canuck Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I Agree, Different Dealers, Different levels of Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwick Dale View Post
I have an 07.5 & I had to pay for my new tie-rod & pitman arm assembly myself. My right tie-rod went out @ 50 . But I needed my truck the next morning, so I picked up the upgraded assembly, installed it myself & got them to give it a wheel alignment @ a later date. They did it at their cost. But guys, I only ( I use the term loosely) paid less than 600 bucks with the steering shock. It only took me about 2 hrs to replace it as the pitman arm was sweetheart to get off. So yah they are trying to rip you off. I wouldn't be too hard on Chrysler, all make dealers are ripoffs. Sometimes going to a different one pays off as well.
It's best to get to know a service manager or be ready to kick their door in. I have had experience at Ford, Chevy and Dodge dealers. My 2005 Ford was a complete piece of Junk and was raped by three different dealers to fix at different times. So I will never buy a Ford again. Save yourself the raping and do the work yourself.
Dolemite is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyg View Post
this exact situation happened to me last night! i had it towed to dodge and now they are telling me it may not be covered and will cost over $2k. my truck is a 2009 with 26k miles completely stock. they also said the recall from early last year was unrelated. did they really not cover your repairs? the crazy part is we both could have died and they are claiming no fault.
I would take it to another dealer and if you have bigger tires or a lift ask the dealer if they are mod freindly. The dealers I have talked to are honest about dealing with warrantey issues, some said no way and the one I have been taking it to now is pretty cool. So I wouldnt settle for one dealer, these dealers make money doing warranty work for you.
2008 4 Dr Sb | Leveled | G-56 | SB 3600 SFI | ARP Custom Age 625's | Smarty | II Twins | Synapse 50mm WG | Fletcher Killer B Cam | 110 # Valve Springs | WCC Air Horn | Banks IC | Custom GHD | II 120% CP3 | II 90 Hp Nozzles | Air Dog 150 | II RP | Stealth Exhaust | Isspro Pyro, Boost, Dp, Rp, Fp | T-rex Grill | Siege Train Horns | Viair Compressor 380c, 200-psi | Custom Stereo | Line-X Bed Liner | Aftermarket Tailights | 701hp 1431ftlbs torque on a superflow! Old #'s | Need to put my 12v rods in! |Support the "NRA" and join "TODAY"!!!!
bluecollar6.7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've seen the passenger side tie rod end fall off on four 07 2500 and 3500 trucks between 70k and 110k miles. My current work truck has almost 130k on it and I think it still has the original tie rod end. All the trucks see a lot of gravel roads and the 3500's tow heavy, so I would figure anything over 100k would be living on borrowed time. On all of ours the tie rod ends were replaced, just the one, and a few of the trucks were even put back into service without an alignment, though the tires get eaten up pretty quick anyway by the roads.
Rufus T. Firefly is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

I had mine break at about 3500mi
dodge would not fix, so i had to pay
new tie rods, new track bar, steering damper
i think it cost around $600, since then new ball joints,steering box
steering box stablizer, next is the steering shaft.. this is the worst
dodge i've had, the engine is the only reason i keep the truck, i think i would
go a gasser next time , with the price of engine and price of fuel always going up
somethimes i think it's not a bad way to go

08c/c inferno red, alum flatbed,s/s toolboxes,valair clutch, afe air intake,
dynatrac freespin hubs, dynatrac balljoints, sbs, rickson 19.5 wheels michlin rubber
joe griskonis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.