Front axle half shaft u joints - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Front axle half shaft u joints

My truck has 63,000 miles and it and the u joints are shot so bad I didn't even want to drive it anymore before I fixed it. It took me and my buddy with 2 sledge hammers to get the hubs off...... Sorry just had to vent... I can't believe that this truck is wearing so bad the ball joints are starting to show wear also... Anyone else have simular problems with low miles like mine??

H&S ARP FASS FUEL NITTO DDM TUNING CARLI PURE PERFORMANCE AMP STEPS AUTO METER
WouldRatherbeCummin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
That Truck Guy

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldRatherbeCummin View Post
My truck has 63,000 miles and it and the u joints are shot so bad I didn't even want to drive it anymore before I fixed it. It took me and my buddy with 2 sledge hammers to get the hubs off...... Sorry just had to vent... I can't believe that this truck is wearing so bad the ball joints are starting to show wear also... Anyone else have simular problems with low miles like mine??
My 07 needed axle ujoints at 42k and now ball joints at 50k.
888-886-2480
Skyd Ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I love my cummins but absolutely hate my dodge!!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
f7u12

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
could someone explain to me what to look for concerning worn u-joints.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 09 ram with 45,000 miles and both my axle joints are shot. im working on it right now and cant fig out how to get the spindle off . upper and lower ball joints are popped but theres no where near enough room to pull it out. theres a snap ring on lowere ball joint but idk . any suggestions would be great thanx.

just figured it out

Last edited by 09 ram it; 07-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.
09 ram it is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Military Veteran

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 ram it View Post
I have a 09 ram with 45,000 miles and both my axle joints are shot. im working on it right now and cant fig out how to get the spindle off . upper and lower ball joints are popped but theres no where near enough room to pull it out. theres a snap ring on lowere ball joint but idk . any suggestions would be great thanx.

just figured it out
Here you
DIY Ball Joint Replacement
Excellent post IMO
2008 6.7 2500 QCSB BUILT GOEREND 48RE WITH PCS/EFI/BULLSEYE 478 ON STAINLESS 2ND GEN MANIFOLD/ATS DUAL CP3S INDUSTRIAL 120% & DMAX/AIRDOGx2/BBI's/B&B SIDE INTAKE/CARRILLOS/FULL P&P BUILT HEAD/ARP 625/MAXSPOOL CUSTOM CAM/.020 MAHLE CLEVITE PISTONS/GIRDLE/FLUIDAMPR/CALTRACS
Cummins_stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just replaced rear Drive Shaft / Diff U Joints

At 30,000 miles of light use - they were totally shot - worst I have seen and at this mileage? Awful.
A certain notchiness turning corners leads me to suspect the front half shaft joints are going the same way! (31,000 miles now!)
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

42k miles, both front axle ujoints were bad. Started out sounding like a bird chirping when I turned a corner. By the time i got it into the dealer, you could feel the steering wheel pulling when coming out of a slow turn,

$600.00 for the dealer to replace both!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
f7u12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondc View Post
42k miles, both front axle ujoints were bad. Started out sounding like a bird chirping when I turned a corner. By the time i got it into the dealer, you could feel the steering wheel pulling when coming out of a slow turn,

$600.00 for the dealer to replace both!
so you got the same joints from dodge? didn't use aftermarket upgrades?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.