G56 Gear Rollover - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
G56 Gear Rollover

Recently installed Southbend Dual Disc.
Now the gear rollover from the tranny is horrible..
I drained and filled the tranny with 7qts RP Syncromax.
It is definitely quieter when the oil is cold.
I'm wondering if draining & adding a quart of Hy-Per Oil Supplement would hurt anything? I'm wanting to increase the viscosity a smidge.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, Long Bed, Laramie w/ Sunroof, 6.7 Cummins, 6 Spd Manual, Black Tool Box & Bed Cover, SB 3250 DD Clutch, Edge Insight Gage, 5" SS TBE w/ Magnaflow Resonator, XRT and now I'm code free!
trophytime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

From what I read I think it's the nature of DD clutches to produce more gear noise. There's a good article part way down here:http://www.techcapri.com/PDF/Repair/...ice_S08-00.pdf

It doesn't sound like there's much that can be done.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
A fluidamper should help some to if the oil does not get it quiet . I have one plus added lucas tranmmison addttive ,noise is almost completly gone.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700kenny View Post
A fluidamper should help some to if the oil does not get it quiet . I have one plus added lucas tranmmison addttive ,noise is almost completly gone.
Do you have a 5.9 or 6.7? From what I understand, fluid damper can help the 5.9 but is of no value to 6.7 as it already has one. I'm a 6.7

But I'm willing to try about anything - even returning to stock at this point.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, Long Bed, Laramie w/ Sunroof, 6.7 Cummins, 6 Spd Manual, Black Tool Box & Bed Cover, SB 3250 DD Clutch, Edge Insight Gage, 5" SS TBE w/ Magnaflow Resonator, XRT and now I'm code free!

Last edited by trophytime; 05-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Any thoughts on a durable aftermarket DMF? I bet SBC or ATS could come up with something quiet for those of us not running huge HP and routinely towing an office building over the Rockies. Anyone have pics of the stock DMF? Was it almost falling apart when it came out? I'm certainly no expert but a more robust DMF with a single disc clutch that could handle a bit more HP than stock seems like it'd be a good seller.
08 QC 6.7 Silver 4X4, G56, Amsoil Bypass, DiPricol Boost & Pyro, MagHytec Rear Diff Cover, Dynatrac Freespins w/Dynalocs, SMARTY, Fleetguard separator/CAT1R-0750, Auto On EB switch. Thank you LEFT COAST DIESEL
Tractortug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Stronger DMF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractortug View Post
Any thoughts on a durable aftermarket DMF? I bet SBC or ATS could come up with something quiet for those of us not running huge HP and routinely towing an office building over the Rockies. Anyone have pics of the stock DMF? Was it almost falling apart when it came out? I'm certainly no expert but a more robust DMF with a single disc clutch that could handle a bit more HP than stock seems like it'd be a good seller.
I spoke to a LUK rep about just that subject. He was a DMF- equipped Dodge owner and acknowledged a market exists for a DMF with maybe 50-100 hp over stock. He said he'd bring it up with the engineers and marketing. Maybe a few more e-mails would help. The SBC OFE is supposed to be nearly stock like in noise and manners. I keep my Smarty@ sw#3 and luckily I inherited the lower final drive. 285-75-17's a constant 2000# load and no slippage yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytime View Post
do you have a 5.9 or 6.7? From what i understand, fluid damper can help the 5.9 but is of no value to 6.7 as it already has one. I'm a 6.7

but i'm willing to try about anything - even returning to stock at this point.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderson View Post
I spoke to a LUK rep about just that subject. He was a DMF- equipped Dodge owner and acknowledged a market exists for a DMF with maybe 50-100 hp over stock. He said he'd bring it up with the engineers and marketing. Maybe a few more e-mails would help. The SBC OFE is supposed to be nearly stock like in noise and manners. I keep my Smarty@ sw#3 and luckily I inherited the lower final drive. 285-75-17's a constant 2000# load and no slippage yet.
I sure agree. Who is LUK?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophytime View Post
I sure agree. Who is LUK?
LUK manufacturers our stock dmf.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I just got with Dan at valair clutches and they offer the new quiet series. ill be getting mine installed tomorow so i can leave feedback after break in.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Valair Inc. Clutch

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The quiet one is in regards to floater plate rattle, the floater when clutch pushed in is silent, gear rollover is a entirely different issue, while we as well as others have made progress, it cannot be ruled out when changing over from a dual mass to single mass flywheel. I also assume we are installing yours in the morning?
06 QCSB 4x4 MTP s363/s475, Exergy 100%, Motorsports Dual CP3's, DF165, Diesel Pro's 188/220 cam, Maxspool Springs, Fluid dampener, Valair TC, Fully Built 48RE, EFI Live, Isspro, Cal Tracs, Co-pilot, Custom I/C and some other stuff I forgot. 896/1769

www.valairinc.com/performance
Valair1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valair1 For This Useful Post:
Danderson (12-27-2013), N1NJ4ON3R (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

gear rollover is the nature of the beast when changing from dmf to a smf. if you don't lug it you wont hear it. me I kinda like the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.