no glow plugs - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
no glow plugs

I was test driving my new megacab last night and i asked the salesman where the display for the glow plugs was at and he said its no longer there. Am i crazy or just ignorant. NO GLOW PLUGS?

Last edited by eobigbull; 08-04-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: FORGOT
eobigbull is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

well im not positive but im pretty sure cummins have been glow plugless since 1989 so that would mean theses engines ignite on compression ignition. im sure someone will explain all of this much better than i can.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Cummins doesn't use glowplugs. They use an intake heater or grid heater. All 6 cyl. diesels big or small use this setup. Now V8's like Duramax and Powerstroke have glowplugs b/c of the layout of the V8. But all Cummins do have a heater, but it usually it's used at a lower temp. This time of year they are just not needed. Maybe why do don't get a light. Mine won't stay on more than 1 sec in the morning. Below 55* is when they start kicking in, I believe.
bucket truck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you check your book under instrument / gauge cluster, the pictogram indicating your grid heater is on, is a coil that will stay on if needed. If not needed, it will not lite.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Cummins 5.9 and 6.7, never had glow plugs. Too prone to failure. The grid heater is a better design.

-Chuck

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hemi

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,168 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
If your heated grid went out you would just have a little bit of trouble starting it in the cold.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
It would have to be around zero to have any no starting issues. Alot of guys on here pull them out.
kenny110482 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Grid heaters (intake manifold heaters) are much more reliable than glow plugs and rarely fail.

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket truck View Post
Cummins doesn't use glowplugs. They use an intake heater or grid heater. All 6 cyl. diesels big or small use this setup. Now V8's like Duramax and Powerstroke have glowplugs b/c of the layout of the V8. But all Cummins do have a heater, but it usually it's used at a lower temp. This time of year they are just not needed. Maybe why do don't get a light. Mine won't stay on more than 1 sec in the morning. Below 55* is when they start kicking in, I believe.
Is there a grid heater just for the fuel in addition to the one under the intake horn?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.olds4554 View Post
Is there a grid heater just for the fuel in addition to the one under the intake horn?
The grid heater is the one under the intake horn, and heats the intake air.
There is a fuel heater near the fuel filter to help prevent fuel gelling.
dr.olds4554 (05-24-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

To give you an idea of grid heater reliability, my old 2001 had 485 000km on it, living all it's life in frigid Alberta, using the grids except about 3 months of the year. I did put in a new set of relays back at around 450 000km, but the grid heaters have never failed on that truck. In the real cold the grids would fire for about 20 seconds. As a Ferd guy how many times he's replaced glow plugs
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dodgectd View Post
well im not positive but im pretty sure cummins have been glow plugless since 1989 so that would mean theses engines ignite on compression ignition. im sure someone will explain all of this much better than i can.
To correct you EVERY diesel is run off of compression ignition no matter what a glowplug simply warms the cylinder if its to cold out to help in compression ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket truck View Post
and another correction not EVERY 6cyl uses grid heaters most OTR trucks do not have them those are all inline 6cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.