Possible solution for EGR block code (P0401)?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Possible solution for EGR block code (P0401)??

In the duramax world (I just traded my dmax for a 2010 laramie 6.7) we had something called a finger stick that would trick the computer into thinking that the EGR system was still working. We would use a blocker plate and install this electronic finger stick and it would never set a code.

I think the computer knows that the EGR is working by seeing a reduction in flow on the MAF. (I am assuming the cummins has a MAF). I would assume the flow on the MAF is compared to a table in the ECU and the difference between measured flow and the flow indicated on a VE table would be seen as EGR flow.

The finger stick had 5 wires.

+12
GND
MAF signal IN
MAF modified signal OUT
EGR Motor signal IN

The EGR motor looks to be the same between the duramax and the cummins so I am hoping something similar is possible.

I would assume (im no EE, only a lowly computer programmer) that this finger stick would take a position signal from the EGR motor and use that signal to scale the signal from the MAF so the measured airflow through the MAF increases/decreases as the EGR motor opens and closes.

It may even be possible to use one of these finger sticks from a duramax but we would need some electrical engineer type to compare the MAF signals between the two engines and possibly compare the the EGR motor signal so we can determine if the scaling would be correct.

Fingerstick instructions if anyone is interested.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Fi...%20Install.pdf

It would be awesome if a similar device could be created for the cummins. If so we could block the cooler off at the manifold and leave the hardware in place, the blocking would be completly invisible to emissions techs and dealers.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It is an interesting theory though. I wonder what signal changes would have to be made to make the truck think everything is still working?

Do the Chevy trucks utilize the same/similar CAN BUS system that Dodge uses?

Would the system have to change inputs based on load and EGTs?

Anybody have access to a data logger that could be tapped into the required sensors to gain the required information?

Last edited by Flopster843; 02-24-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Flopster843 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopster843 View Post

It is an interesting theory though. I wonder what signal changes would have to be made to make the truck think everything is still working?
The stick would have to decrease the signal from the MAF to show flow from the EGR.

Quote:
Do the Chevy trucks utilize the same/similar CAN BUS system that Dodge uses?
Yes, i think everyone does now.

Quote:
:
Would the system have to change inputs based on load and EGTs?
I dont think it does, it just scales the output based in the input.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.