What is the point of front Dually wheels? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is the point of front Dually wheels?

I'm new to the Dually world, been driving SRW trucks most of my life. Can someone tell me what exactly is the point of having a massive offset on the FRONT wheels of a dually truck? I understand the rears are a two-pice/two-tire configuration with huge offset, but the fronts??!!

What is the point of having that huge offset slung way out in front of the wheel hub? Why are the front wheels only 6" wide?

The reason I'm asking is becuase I want to go with a staggered wheel configuration so the front tires don't look so puny in comparison with the rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Junkie

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,003 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
its so that all 6 tires are rotatable, look at the dually rims they are identical to the front rims with the same offset
'05 2WD -T4 66/73 over HP88/96 & JGS 500 gate, MPI Kit with T4 Steed Speed, TPP Blankets, Turbosmart eBoost2, BD Intercooler, ARP, Hamilton, 200 FASS, T&C 120% CP3/Wild Rail & 32k PRV, I.I. 48 lpm injectors, Fluid damper, UDC by Coffman, TS-MP8, 2 stage nitrous, Isspro Ev2's, Caltracs, Goerend trans, Grizzly Locker, Mag-Hytec
Taquache is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Taquache For This Useful Post:
bunga (01-12-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the wheels look the way theydo cause all 6 are interchangeable. Turn the front funny lookin wheels around backwards, and ta-da you got back wheels. The inside rear wheels face the same as the front, then the outers are the opp. and match up with the inners. IMO having staggered wheel/tire configurations would look funny, but to each his own. If the front wheels were mounted the same as the rears it would look funny. If the tires were staggered you couldnt rotate them all the way around, only the back 4 and then the front 2 with each other.
2005 3500, NV5600 4x4, K&N CAI, ATS Exhaust Manifold, Smarty S-06 POD, 2" leveling kit, CFM Intake Manifold, Silverline 4" TBE, Smoked Cab Lights, 35's MT, Valair Ceramic/Kevlar Clutch, DeBadged, CM Flatbed--Tipping the scale at 9,200LBS
jgage916 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Junkie

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,003 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
if its factory all the wheels and tires should be identical aswell so they are all the exact same width
'05 2WD -T4 66/73 over HP88/96 & JGS 500 gate, MPI Kit with T4 Steed Speed, TPP Blankets, Turbosmart eBoost2, BD Intercooler, ARP, Hamilton, 200 FASS, T&C 120% CP3/Wild Rail & 32k PRV, I.I. 48 lpm injectors, Fluid damper, UDC by Coffman, TS-MP8, 2 stage nitrous, Isspro Ev2's, Caltracs, Goerend trans, Grizzly Locker, Mag-Hytec
Taquache is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Maybe I'm thinking outside the box here, but I want to run 255/80R17's on the rear (4) wheels, with an overall diameter of 33.06".

Then i want to run 285/70R17's on the front with an overall diameter of 32.71". Even though all 6 are not rotatable, I can still rotate left to right.

The difference in overall diameter is 1/3", which is about a 1% difference. Even on a full-time AWD truck, as long as you're under 5% diameter difference, there should be no issue of drivetrain wear.

Will a 285 sereis tire even fit on a stock dually wheel?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have 285/70/17s on my stock dually wheels, all 6 of them, and have spacers between the rears. Some people claim that the spacers arent reliable when towing, but between this truck and my last i have over 150k miles of towing with duallys that run either 33s or 35s with spacers, and i have never had a problem...
2005 3500, NV5600 4x4, K&N CAI, ATS Exhaust Manifold, Smarty S-06 POD, 2" leveling kit, CFM Intake Manifold, Silverline 4" TBE, Smoked Cab Lights, 35's MT, Valair Ceramic/Kevlar Clutch, DeBadged, CM Flatbed--Tipping the scale at 9,200LBS
jgage916 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Don't forget the spare - if the fronts are different from the rears you'll need two spares.
bunga (01-12-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

if you're going to go to all that trouble, why don't you run super singles on the back?
07.5 2500 4x4 ccsb auto, edge j/a, deletes,diy sims, stock muffler and tailpipe,egr blocked, butterfly gone, foam intake thing gone, 35" BFG's on stock suspension. oem style fender flares painted to match, UWS tube steps, cab lights, aries bull bar.
chicknman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Will a 285 sereis tire even fit on a stock dually wheel?[/QUOTE]

yes they will! Look really good in my opinion. I am running a 2" spacer in between mine. Have a buddy runnin 285 bfg m/t s and he is running a 1/2" spacer and says they are fine. keeps pressure about 65 psi
Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

The only thing keeping me away from spacers and really thick back tires is the fact that the outboard tires protrude rather far outside the fender flare. There's the asthetic side to it, some people think it makes the dually look awesome, others like myself tend to think "overkill" when they see it. Then there's the functional side, in which mud and gravel get constnatly flung up onto the side of the fender, other crap goes flying upwards because there's no wheel-well to catch it.

To each their own, but I've decided I want rear wheels that FIT under the wheel well and prevent debris from being flung up. With this in mind, I'm limited to a 255 series tire in back with NO SPACER. But, what I was trying to accomplish is make the front tires look equally impressive by beefing them up to wider unit. The "staggered" dimensions I mentioned earlier I think will work and prevent the pizza-cutter look up front. Either a 285/70R17, or a 305/65R17 would work if it fits on the wheel. Both are close enough in overall diameter to function.

I'm not sold on the fact you'd have to carry two sizes of spare. The same size spare for the rear tire would probably work up front just fine. Sure, one tire would be 1" wider the other one with the spare on, but who cares? The diameter is almost identical.

**Geeks only beyond this point**

(You've been warned). Lets run the math. We've got an open axle up front which means the tires can easily turn at different rates (4x4 owners here). Using the simple formulate C=Pi*D, we can calulate the difference in rotational distance if a rear spare was used up front on the staggered design. That number is 1.11", meaning the 255/85 tire used up front would move 1.11 inches further forward per full rotation. Divide that number by the overall circumferece of 33.062", and we get roughly 30 rotations. This means that for every 30 full rotations of the taller tire, the spider gears would make one full rotation in the opposite direction, allowing the wheels to turn at different rates.

Pushing the math further... we know that at 60mph highway (limp home) speed, we are traveling at 1056 inches per second. And we know becuase of our tire circumference of 103.8", that means the tire is turning roughly 10 times per seond, or 10 RPM. We stated earlier that we need 30 revolutions to make one full turn of the spider gears due to different tire diameters in our theoretical situation. That means the spiders will make one full turn every 3 seconds, at 60mph, with a 255/80R17 on one front wheel, and a 285/70R17 on the other front wheel.

ONE TURN EVERY 3 SEONDS is NOT ENOUGH TO HEAT UP OR "BUZZ" THE SPIDER GEARS, HENCE, YOU'RE FINE TO DRIVE ON IT!

-This house is clear, I have exercised the demons!!!

All i'm saying is that "to get somewhere if you had to", you might not have to carry two size spares for staggered tires this close in diameter. The only advange to this is a front tire that is a 285 series vice a 255 series, 30mm difference = just over an Inch wider up front. If you wanted 2" winder up front for the "dump truck look", then go with the 305/65R17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.