68rfe lost 5th and 6th gear - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
68rfe lost 5th and 6th gear

It seems to be fine 1-4 then stays in 4th If I get it up to 2800+ rpms then shift it manually it will go to 5th and 6th for a split second,it kind of shuffle between them then goes back to 4th.I just dropped the pan the fluid looks and smells ok,no metal shavings just a fine mist on the magnet.Anyone ever have this problem or know what the fix is.Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
yep, new transmission. Usually when that happens the clutch packs either weld themselves together or wear themselves out depending on how much power you're making. Fluid may look clean but it only takes some heavy towing or a ton of power to slip those and take 'em out. If you are towing a 46 footer like your sig says I'd opt for a HD rebuild with a goerend converter and valve body if he's offering that yet.
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
rjp
WWW.SuncoastConverters.co

Thanked 1,066 Times in 836 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
May have just broke or unseated the snap rig that holds fith and sixth clutch pacs. Happened to me twice.
Hope that helps.
M3GA 68 Often Imitated but never Duplicated!! "Original Design" Tested Daily with high horsepower trucks!!

SUNCOAST CONVERTERS
rjp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've had the same issue with my 2007 3500. It's in the shop as we speak, for the 6th transmission rebuild. It keeps breaking the snap rings in 5th and 6th gear. I tow a 43' gooseneck everyday (when it's not in the shop!), and everytime it has done it, I was loaded with loads around 10,000 pounds or more. First time it did it, it wouldn't shift past 4th gear. I could pull over on the side of the road, shut the engine off and let it sit for a few seconds, and then restart it. It did fine for a few days after that, leading me to believe it was a computer issue. I went through this same scenario for about a month, because the dealership couldn't locate the problem. It finally broke the snap rings at about 93,000 miles, and the dealership diagnosed it. After 2 more broken snap rings, and Dodge paying to have the trans rebuilt, the next time it broke not only the snap rings, but the shaft between 5th and 6th gear. By then I was getting aggravated, and when I picked it up from the dealership last Thursday, they assured me that the issue was resolved. 3 days later, on Sunday, with about 19,000 lbs of drill pipe on the trailer, it did the same thing. Wouldn't shift past 4th gear after a hard shudder. Called the service department manager at home on Sunday night to voice my displeasure, and he said drop it at the shop and they'd look at it AGAIN! They still haven't diagnosed the problem, but they are putting an upgrade kit from Suncoast in the trans to "beef it up", and added that the next time it happens, it coming out of my back pocket. I need some help! It would be greatly appreciated. I have deleted the entire stock exhaust and dpf, with a dpf delete kit from BADP, as well as the egr bullcrap from under the hood (with a set of block-off plates from Shibbyutman). The only other modification to the truck is an S&B air filter and intake. Is it possible that removing the stock exhaust and dpf has generated more horsepower and torque than this transmission is capable of handling? Help!!!!
websterws28 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

WOW! you have a very understanding dealership!
Fixing the tranny(and upgrading you to suncoast) after you have done all the deletes is unheard of around here! Consider yourself lucky and don't give them too hard of a time lol
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I didn't know until Monday that the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty DID NOT include anything but the engine.... It helps that of the 16 trucks in our fleet, 12 of them were bought at that dealership, and it was explained to me that is why they are going the extra mile, so to speak, on my truck. After it was explained to me that way, I shut my mouth, considered myself VERY lucky, and thanked the man, several times, for his assistance.
websterws28 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by websterws28 View Post
Well, I didn't know until Monday that the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty DID NOT include anything but the engine.... It helps that of the 16 trucks in our fleet, 12 of them were bought at that dealership, and it was explained to me that is why they are going the extra mile, so to speak, on my truck. After it was explained to me that way, I shut my mouth, considered myself VERY lucky, and thanked the man, several times, for his assistance.
Very nice of them. Now I understand
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Transmission's not included in the 100K powertrain warranty???????????
2008 3500, SRW, QC, SB, 4X4 Laramie, Revmax 550 68RFE, Deleted, XRT (original), MP-8, 5" TBE, ARP 425's, Volant Power-Core CAI, Raptor 150, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs, Amsoil engine & transmission By-Pass, Lorenz Bilstein 5100 System
txpig is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpig View Post
Transmission's not included in the 100K powertrain warranty???????????
Not if you've modified the powertrain beyond its design parameters.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

modded or not....

doesn't matter, unless you bought an extended warranty, 100k only covers the engine. the rest of the drivetrain is 3/36. There are some "in-between" emission related 50,000 and 80,000 also.

of course mods could make all warranties end a lot sooner

jeff.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-kc9ftp View Post
doesn't matter, unless you bought an extended warranty, 100k only covers the engine. the rest of the drivetrain is 3/36. There are some "in-between" emission related 50,000 and 80,000 also.

jeff.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-kc9ftp View Post

jeff.
I must meet your dealer!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.