Replacing the Serpentine Belt Help - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Replacing the Serpentine Belt Help

Tore my belt this morning...does anyone know how to get the belt off???
2008 MegaCab 6.7L Silver 4x4 SXT; Banks CAI; RSD 5" TBE; XRT; Shibby Boost Tube and GHD; BOD Intake; AutoMeter Boost/Pyro/Trans; EPP; AmpResearch PowerSteps; 20" Moto Metal 956's; MT Baja MTZ 35x12.50;
Burnin'Bevo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
There should be a pre-tensioner pulley that applies constant tension to the Serpentine belt. This is shown in the belt diagram on the fan shroud. You put a 1.2 drive ratchet in the center square hole and turn to release the tension on the belt. Remove the belt and install the next one, also relieve tension on the pulley as you place the new belt on the other pulleys.
Hope this helps you.
2008 3/4T, Mega Cab SLT, 6.7L CTD 68RFE,Optix Gauges Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp A Piller mount, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan, Front & Rear Diff cover,Smarty, MBRP Exhaust, Silver, Westin Side Steps, Line-X Bed Liner, Bed Cover, Prodigy BC, 15K Reese hitch and pulling a 11K 5er
Jim W is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I had a couple of kittens take mine out almost exactly a year ago. Pain in the a$$. No diagram to show you how it goes back on. Had to have dealer fax me a diagram, what ever happened to the sticker under the hood?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

my cab and chassis also had no diagram I replaced the belt while i did the water pump and it took longer to figure the belt out than to install the pump.
Goat08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had to change out the alternator. No problem, however, I am having TROUBLE getting the drive belt back on!
richard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
You're wrong! Get over it

Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
I had to change out the alternator. No problem, however, I am having TROUBLE getting the drive belt back on!
You can get a tool similar to this one for taking the belts off/on at AutoZone for about $20. I wish I had bought one sooner.
Amazon.com: BELT TOOL SERPENTINE AND ACCESSORIES: Automotive
2008 QC-LB,2500,4X4,White/Kaki,Big-Horn,3.73 Auto, MyGig Nav unit, K&N no baffle,DPF quit working, GHD, Shibby stage 1 intake & boost tube, Smarty, PMT for gauges, Mag-Hytec Pan & Diff covers.Dad2bike-installs-some-shibby-goodies..... DIY Deletes How-To
SNAFU
dad2bike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Thanks for the input! Being this is my first time on the Forum, I hope this response gets out. Again, thanx! Job complete!
The Following User Says Thank You to richard1 For This Useful Post:
boostedcummins5.9 (07-16-2013)
Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Ok putting the belt on works best with 2 people. it can be done with one but its a pain. The back of the belt is going to have to go on the tensioner first. The tesnioner will have to be lossened first. It takes a 13mm socket or wrench. From there it goes around the crankshaft damper, around the fan pulley, around the powerteering pulley, around the pulley at the very top of the engine, down to the waterpump, up to the alternator pulley,down the the a/c compressor,then back to the tensioner. laptop battery dying pm me for details.
pricklypete is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up Thanx for the input everone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricklypete View Post
Ok putting the belt on works best with 2 people. it can be done with one but its a pain. The back of the belt is going to have to go on the tensioner first. The tesnioner will have to be lossened first. It takes a 13mm socket or wrench. From there it goes around the crankshaft damper, around the fan pulley, around the powerteering pulley, around the pulley at the very top of the engine, down to the waterpump, up to the alternator pulley,down the the a/c compressor,then back to the tensioner. laptop battery dying pm me for details.
Thanx, pricklypete, for your help. The main problem I was having was I did'nt know the belt tensioner was spring loaded. After that, it was possible to put a 3/8" drive ratchet in the hole to pull back the tensioner to enable the belt to be positioned. By the way, I drive a '97 excab 3500 dually that I use to pull a 5th wheel trailer with.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Sorry about that, I was giving belt info for the 6.7L I didn't realize we were talking 5.9
pricklypete is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Once person CAN (easily) release the tensioner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricklypete View Post
Ok putting the belt on works best with 2 people. it can be done with one but its a pain.
Just replaced my water pump on 2003 5.9 today, 135,500 miles. Engine had been running a little warmer the past few days, but there was no evidence of coolant weeping until this morning.

I'd like to add that once I understood how the tensioner worked with the 1/2" ratchet (hard to see between the fan the blades!), the whole replacement time took about 1 1/2 hrs.

I went from underneath the truck with the ratchet and used a ratchet strap wrapped around the 1/2" drive ratchet handle, tied to the bumper. Cinch up the ratchet, pulls the ratchet handle pulling the tensioner back. Left it in place until done, slid the belt back in place and release the ratchet strap, checking the belt is in place correctly. Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Serpintine or drive belt and speed sensor

Hi all new to this forum. My drive belt or serpentine belt frayed and I am replacing it. I am a female and love my truck. But there is a note in my owners manual that states I must check the engine speed sensor near the damper. Ok really confused now. Where are they and what do they look like. How do I check them? What do I look for. Also you stated two people to replace this belt. Oops only little ole me. Please, help.
reallyunique dodge lover is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.