Engine Ticking Like Loose Rocker !!! - Page 7 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
yes i agree.
moose2514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Ironically, mine just started making this noise today. Or at least I've never noticed it at idle until this afternoon. Today i drove with windows down so didn't notice it on way home, and didn't notice it all today going in to work, or when i started it this morning (idled for 5 minutes or so waiting on school bus to picks kids up).

Definitely sounds like metal tapping metal, not a consistent tap, and seems to sound more pronounced from under the truck, around the down pipe area. at times it seems to come from the driver side. Going to put it on stands here in a few and let it idle to see if i can narrow the area down more.

I have boost defuel set at 32, and engine coolant set at 120 * F, and I've never gone higher than the 60HP tune on the MM. I've done a few WOT starts (can count on one hand and one hand only ) when BIL and I are out with his F-250. Generally, it gets driven 'normally' so i don't kill a HG or 68RE. Point is i don't drag the truck and don't drive it like a space shuttle.
07.5 2500, MC, Auto, Rhino Liner, MM, Pyro, 5" TBE, 6" Tip, Muffler DPF EGR w/ cooler ALL Gone, Prodigy, LED Mirrors, EB Always On, S&B CAI, FTE 30", LED Chicken Lights '13 Chaparral 330FBH 5er SOLD '01 2500 Quad
cyauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #75 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

well thats just my point this tick happens to people who have tuners and beat the hell out of the truck and tow everyday to people who are all stock and drive it normal so this is def a problem that needs to be fixed and figured out quick. i drive mine normal, all deleted and i had it on 60hp tune and 175 hp tune and it doesnt make a difference its still there. on thing i did notice is that after drivin for 20 mins or so the noise lessens but its still there not as sparratic
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #76 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose2514 View Post
on thing i did notice is that after drivin for 20 mins or so the noise lessens but its still there not as sparratic
I agree. I put it on stands shortly after my post above and was unable to get it to generate the noise again. I played with high idle and that didn't do it either. So i went to Autozone to recycle 6 gl's of oil, and wouldn't you know the noise was there. I didn't, however, hear it in the cab (windows up, radio off); only with door open. turned in oil started truck, no tapping sound. Got home, tapping sound present, but went away after a few minutes. Nothing heard this morning.

I'm leaning towards this is a normal thing. I would think if this is a major problem, it would be present in a large number of trucks, and posts would be all over the place on here. I think maybe if i hadn't read this post, i probably never noticed it, but going to keep an eye (and ear) on it for a while.
07.5 2500, MC, Auto, Rhino Liner, MM, Pyro, 5" TBE, 6" Tip, Muffler DPF EGR w/ cooler ALL Gone, Prodigy, LED Mirrors, EB Always On, S&B CAI, FTE 30", LED Chicken Lights '13 Chaparral 330FBH 5er SOLD '01 2500 Quad
cyauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #77 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

it it was a normal thing i would think most ppl would be asking about it more often.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
it it was a normal thing i would think most ppl would be asking about it more often.
Not saying it is normal, but it's certainly possible for people to not notice it, IMO. Mine doesn't make the noise at idle, and I can only hear it while driving if I listen very closely with the window down - and then of course it's only at a very specific RPM range approx 1200-1500rpm. I'm very in tune to hearing anything and everything so I can imagine a lot of people simply never hearing it.

Either way I would certainly like to understand what the noise is! It stands out too much to just assume that it is indeed normal without any facts to back it up.
DieselWorkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #79 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm not sure if this ticking noise is normal or not, I have 22k on my truck & after I read this thread I went out & ran it on idle with the hood up looking at the engine & indeed there was a distinct tick, tick, tick. I could not tell where it was coming from though.

I never opened the hood before with the truck running & I'm a little hard of hearing, so I can not hear it with the hood closed with me standing in front of it or me in the cab. So it may have been doing this since day one.

I bought a stethascope & plan on checking it out further. If can can locate the "tick" I'll report back.

What ever the tick is, it has not cause any problems as far as the performance of the truck, it runs flawlessly.

SB
Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
Hey mine does it too. I dont hear it by the valve cover, I mainly hear it by the driver's side door. Like it on the bottom end or something. Dealer responded with a stupid answer I dont remember now. Where does it sound like it is coming from ..Is it louder by the doors or under the engine like mine?
Same with mine, drivers' side and bottom end it seems ; mechanic does not seem to worried about it at this time and he know is Sh_T !!!! The truck runs great and his diagnostics don't indicate anything wrong.
08' 2500 6.7 Quad Cab / White, Stock, EGR unplugged (2.5 MPG gain). Future plans: EGR Delete (H&S), DPF Delete, 5' Stainless Turbo Back Exhaust (H&S), Banks Ram Air Intake with Super Scoop, Banks Intercooler, Mini Maxx Tuning module (H&S)
Slick73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #81 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

ok in trying to narrow this down.. everyone who has this noise has the stock turbo correct? im thinking its something inside possibly with the vgt mechanism. the tick is verry sparatic with the exhaust brake on. i can hear it with the windows up with the brake applied!. but if someone has a aftermarket turbo that would throw that idear out the window?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #82 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
ok in trying to narrow this down.. everyone who has this noise has the stock turbo correct? im thinking its something inside possibly with the vgt mechanism. the tick is verry sparatic with the exhaust brake on. i can hear it with the windows up with the brake applied!. but if someone has a aftermarket turbo that would throw that idear out the window?
From my observation I don't believe my noise to be coming from the turbo. But at this point there's no telling where or what it is.

I can hear it occasionally on decel if there's a wall or car on the drivers side. Just like any other time for me its only at 1200-1600rpm. I've turned the EB on and off while it's making the noise and it had no effect.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #83 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i was probing around with a stethscope today and the noise was heard best when i had the scope on the oil pan. also it was heard on the adapter plate on the back of the engine (between engine and trans) who knows maybes its coming from the engine and transmitting back or vice versa. either way its not normal and its really pissin me off. i drove home from work it sat for about 15 to 20 mins then i went back out started it up and put it on high idle and did the whole stethscope thing, after about 5to 10 mins into testing the noise was gone and i couldnt get it to come back. watever it is its not good and i advise all to not just say well its normal and the truck runs fine.. well ya thats how it all starts you hear a noise its fine them BOOM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #84 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
i was probing around with a stethscope today and the noise was heard best when i had the scope on the oil pan. also it was heard on the adapter plate on the back of the engine (between engine and trans) who knows maybes its coming from the engine and transmitting back or vice versa.
That's also the area where I was leading to when I was under the truck. Too hard to say for sure, but it seemed to be low and toward the back of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.