6.7 cylinder head problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 6.7L Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
6.7 cylinder head problem

In june 2012 i installed a new cylinder head built by mountain high performance, couple weeks ago the telltale symptoms of a blown hd gasket appeared so removed head & head has 2 hairline cracks between valves of cylinder #5, can the cracks be repaired or is a new head in my future? thanks for any advice
T-Albie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

any pics of the cracks? id suggest getting it pressure tested if theres someone near you that can do it. it just depends on where the cracks are at.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Mine had about 20 cracks after this past season. I replaced my head with a used one. Don't know if you can see the crack from valve to valve in the pic
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blacks Diesel Performance

New head. There are places that repair them, but I wouldnt trust them. If a seat comes loos, its ugly.
ProStreet2wd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

thanks for the input, i talked to Bill at mountain high performance who built the head & he said the type of cracks in my head are very common & "normal " in almost all heavily modded 6.7's, he said the cracks like mine have to be a half inch deep before reach the water jacket, he said to have head pressure tested & that he's confident the head will test good & if not send him the head & they will fix the cracks, so i am having it pressure & go tested & will go from ther, the stock head i had before one im runningnow had over 12 visible cracks in all cylinders except one & tested no good of course but i have since added compound turbos & lowered my egts by over200 degs
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

does anyone sell a ported and polished head?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ednumerous places offer a ported&polished head, but usually takes least 2-3 weeks if not longer to get one
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have 156000 on my truck and I beat the hell out of everyday, I know I need studs but was thinking of replacing head, gaskets and installing studs. That way I know I'm safe. I will be upgrading the turbo and Arson III with 100hp injectors. If my head gasket holds out another 6 months I'll do everything at once.

Please recommend a shop that I can send my head to. Im in Louisiana if you know of any in my area.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

sorry, im in nebraska but maybe some one el closer to louisianna will recomend a reputable shop, this is my 2nd hd gasket with studs but first with head mountain high performance built for me, my cummins is a 08 4dr, ATS stage4 68rfe w5star torquecnvrtr& copilot,ATS compound turbo setup ( which i think is greatest thing since sliced bread) 125hp nozzles, airdog150, bunch of deletes,5in turbo back exhaust:,hiperformance head, autometer gauges, H&S minimax but goin to try EFI Live when get it back together
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bigger valves with some bowl blending will gain you more than a port job.

Last edited by JWH_03_Dodge; 05-01-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: NSV
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

prostreet2wd i agree, head i been running built by mountain high has oversized valves with bowls blended,, flow increase is substantial
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Have you driven one with a big single? If you like the ats compounds, youd LOVE one with a big single.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.