Exhaust Drone Fix - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -


Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 6.7L Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Drone Fix

After installing my new Flo Pro 5", turbo back exhaust, I ended up with the loudest drone you can imagine. Drone is different than exhaust sound. I love the sound of my 5" exhaust, but the drone drives everyone in the cab nuts. After talking to Flo Pro techies, I ordered their Twister Resonator. I installed as instructed, onto the down pipe and left the straight through muffler installed.

Result--absolutely no drone--none--nada--zip. We can talk normal in the cab again without feeling you are inside a bellows.
__________________
RAM 2012; 3500. All stock for now. The real Cummins engine is in there. You just have to dig it out!
Bill_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic
 
jwhjr1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 197
Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I wish I would have known that. I scrapped the muffler and installed a Donaldson to get rid of the drone.
__________________
2012 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab / Automatic / Smarty Jr ME / Shibby Engineering EGR, EGR Cooler, and Grid Heater Deletes / Flo-Pro 5" TBE / AMP Research Steps / Weather Tech Vent Visors / Weatherguard Tool Box
jwhjr1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Mega10Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 274
Thanked 180 Times in 127 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mine drones real bad at 1100 rpms and 2200rpms, but I also have a straight pipe. eventually I'll get a resonator but for now I enjoy hearing my exhaust finally.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the resonator run you?
__________________
2010 2500 4x4 Big Horn, Smarty, MP8, Deleted, 5" Flo Pro, GDP Open Breather, Silencer Ring MIA, leveled, bilstein, Timbrens, 20s/33s, Carli Low-mount, Tint, Laramie Flares.
Mega10Cab is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y.
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
5" MBRP SS turbo back with there muffler you see the twisted dimples on the inside of the muffler there is no drone to this system.
RSRains is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega10Cab View Post
Mine drones real bad at 1100 rpms and 2200rpms, but I also have a straight pipe. eventually I'll get a resonator but for now I enjoy hearing my exhaust finally.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the resonator run you?

$70.00, plus shipping.
__________________
RAM 2012; 3500. All stock for now. The real Cummins engine is in there. You just have to dig it out!
Bill_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
wixthedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 1,532
Thanks: 85
Thanked 314 Times in 211 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Was your part number 51600? I assume a 51299 would be for the 4" set up? I hate the drone but I love the exhaust note. The higher RPM's from the G56 make it worse since it hits from 2000-2200 or so.

Have a pic of the install?
__________________
2014 2500 SRW Mega 4x4 6.7 CTD 68RFE 3.42 True Blue Pearl
295/70/18 Nitto TG MT's, 2" Tuff Country Level, Amp Steps
wixthedog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wixthedog View Post
Was your part number 51600? I assume a 51299 would be for the 4" set up? I hate the drone but I love the exhaust note. The higher RPM's from the G56 make it worse since it hits from 2000-2200 or so.

Have a pic of the install?
Part number is Flo Pro Twister 51600. I didn't take any pics as the install was so easy and fast. The outside diameter of the resonator is 5", same as the exhaust system. I removed the exhaust system from the down pipe to the muffler. Then using the resonator as a measuring tool I marked the intermediate pipe (make sure you don't cut off the muffler end of the pipe), you need to shorten that pipe to fit in the resonator. I marked the full length of the resonator then added 3.25" that you need to slip into the outlet of the resonator(to make that clearer, measure the length of the resonator, subtract 3.25" and you have the length of pipe to cut off). The resonator fits exactly as the system was before. It is recommended to fit the resonator to the down pipe. I'm happy, dogs are happy, wife is super happy.
__________________
RAM 2012; 3500. All stock for now. The real Cummins engine is in there. You just have to dig it out!
Bill_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,896
Thanks: 103
Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,446 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhjr1971 View Post
I wish I would have known that. I scrapped the muffler and installed a Donaldson to get rid of the drone.
if it makes you feel any better, your exhaust has less backpressure :p
drunk on diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
if it makes you feel any better, your exhaust has less backpressure :p
I don't know how much back pressure is added with the Twister resonator. I would think it to be very small. When you look into the resonator the centre is a 1" or 1.5" straight thru pipe, didn't measure it. This centre pipe is held in place with a double spiral tunnel( I think close to a double spin, front to back), this is probably where they get the name Twister. As I understand it, the drone comes from the exhaust pulses leaving the turbo. If you like, compare it to a person blowing smoke rings. The exhaust comes out in 'puffs'. With the original exhaust system these pulses first hit the cat converter, then the nox thing, then it enters the DPF, then it enters the muffler and finally out the tail pipe. At this point the pulses are all blended together, giving a smooth exhaust outlet. Getting rid of all this junk allows the pulse to travel from the turbo right out the tail pipe. The Twister puts a spin into the exhaust gas, blends the pulses and gets rid of the drone.

This is as I understand it. Makes sense to me.
__________________
RAM 2012; 3500. All stock for now. The real Cummins engine is in there. You just have to dig it out!
Bill_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,896
Thanks: 103
Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,446 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I didn't say it was a lot, but it does induce some vs. straight pipe or that donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
I don't know how much back pressure is added with the Twister resonator. I would think it to be very small. When you look into the resonator the centre is a 1" or 1.5" straight thru pipe, didn't measure it. This centre pipe is held in place with a double spiral tunnel( I think close to a double spin, front to back), this is probably where they get the name Twister. As I understand it, the drone comes from the exhaust pulses leaving the turbo. If you like, compare it to a person blowing smoke rings. The exhaust comes out in 'puffs'. With the original exhaust system these pulses first hit the cat converter, then the nox thing, then it enters the DPF, then it enters the muffler and finally out the tail pipe. At this point the pulses are all blended together, giving a smooth exhaust outlet. Getting rid of all this junk allows the pulse to travel from the turbo right out the tail pipe. The Twister puts a spin into the exhaust gas, blends the pulses and gets rid of the drone.

This is as I understand it. Makes sense to me.
drunk on diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I didn't say it was a lot, but it does induce some vs. straight pipe or that donaldson
I Agree, 100% over the straight pipe, I don't know anything about the Donaldson.
__________________
RAM 2012; 3500. All stock for now. The real Cummins engine is in there. You just have to dig it out!
Bill_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Whereever we park our RV
Posts: 1,886
Thanks: 122
Thanked 228 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2000 rpm is our drone sweet spot. I have the cat in place in the downpipe, the bulges are hollow and the muffler is in place.
__________________
2007 2500 Mega 6.7L EFI Live, ATS Stage 2 68RFE w/ CoPilot, MHP/B&G TCM Mod Tune, 2 WD w/ NV271 Manual Transfer Case, Edge JWA Gauges, Nitto Terra Grappler 285 70 17, Fixed the DPF, NOX and EGR, much better now, AFE Stage 2 Pro Dry, Shibby Stage one intake, BM EWG, Autometer 7504/7505/7506 Boost gauges, Maxxbrake controller, Rancho 9000XL with MyRide, Hellwig air bags, A wealth of stealth.
2500MegaDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2