C.E.L. code U2579 ?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 6.7L Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
C.E.L. code U2579 ??

what is code U2579??

Thanks
37'' toyos / 4:10's / g56 / double disk south bend / some other stuff
BIG ISLAND 6.7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember Bentley telling me that some times you will get "U" even though it is actualy a "P". Which is turbo speed sensor.

I would say clear it and see if it returns.

Call H&S, let me know if I am right about the U - P thing.
- 07.5 2500 Laramie 4x4 QCSB 6.7L, 68RFE, 3.73, stock tires,Black Maxx, 5" TBE,All deletes,GDP Arctic Air-Boss & Maximizer kit,ARP 2000's,GDP Pro-Gate,XDI intake,Isspro BP DP FP, H&S TCM,DIY CP3 mod. 14.07 @ 96.35 Call Rich @ Glacier Diesel Power
ksseabrd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The seabird is right.... most "U" prefixed faults are can network based faults than sometimes correlate back to an engine fault code & are usually labeled as implausibility or rationality faults. Did you happen to retrieve this fault from the dash using the key cycles or via your XRT? The turbocharger speed sensor is a variable reluctance speed sensor. It consists of a coil of wire and an iron core. The target on the turbocharger shaft is a ground flat in the center of the shaft. As the flat on the turbocharger shaft spins past the speed sensor, a signal is generated. The ECM interprets this signal and converts it to a turbocharger speed reading. The ECM will light the MIL lamp immediately after this diagnostic runs and fails. The MIL lamp will turn off once the diagnostic runs and passes in four consecutive drive cycles.

When Monitored:
Engine running, turbo speed estimate is greater than a calibrated threshold

Set Condition:
The ECM calculates an estimated turbo speed. The fault is activated when the difference of speed from the Turbo Speed Sensor and the turbo speed estimate is greater than a calibrated value. The fault is also activated if the turbo speed sensor reading goes above a calibrated limit.

Diagnostics:

1) Use the accelerator pedal to accelerate the engine speed to a high idle (100%) and hold the engine speed at high idle for at least 20 seconds....Does (U)/P2579 come active?
Yes >> Go To 2
No >> Double check turbocharger speed sensor wiring/connectors for chaffing, abrasions, pinch points, oxidation, bent, spread or mis-seated terminals... If OK, diagnostics complete...perform road test/repair verification.

2) Turn Ignition off. Disconnect the Turbocharger Speed Sensor harness connector.
NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Measure the resistance of the Turbo Speed Sensor by probing (K540) Turbo Speed Signal circuit and the (K541) Turbo Speed Sensor ground circuit at the turbocharger speed sensor. Is the resistance between 600 and 1600 ohms?
Yes >> Go To 3
No >> Replace the turbocharger speed sensor & perform test 1 again.

3) Measure the resistance between ground and the (K541) Turbo Speed Sensor ground circuit in the sensor harness
connector of the ecm. (terminal 43). Is the resistance greater than 100k ohms?
Yes >> Go To 4
No >> Repair the short to ground in the (K541) Turbo Speed Sensor ground circuit.

4) Reconnect the turbocharger speed sensor harness connector. Disconnect the ECM harness connector.
NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Measure the resistance between the (K540) (terminal 42 of ecm sensor harness connector) Turbo Speed Signal circuit and (K541) (terminal 43 of the ecm sensor harness connctor) Turbo Speed Sensor ground circuit at the ECM harness connector. NOTE: The resistance of the turbocharger speed sensor circuit must not be more than 10 ohms greater than the resistance of the turbocharger speed sensor. The turbocharger speed sensor resistance was read in step 2. Is the resistance within 10 ohms of sensor resistance?
Yes >> Go To 5
No >> There is high resistance or an open circuit in the engine
harness. Otherwise there is a low resistance (short) across
the sensor circuits. Repair/replace engine harness.

5) Measure the resistance between ground and the (K540) (terminal 42 of the ecm sensor harness connector) Turbo Speed Signal circuit at the ECM harness connector. Is the resistance greater than 100k ohms?
Yes >> Go To 6
No >> There is a short to ground in the (K540) Turbo Speed Signal
circuit.

6) Measure the resistance between the (K540) (terminal 42 of the ecm sensor harness connector)
Turbo Speed Signal circuit all other circuits in the ECM harness connector except the turbocharger speed (K541) (terminal 43) Turbo Speed Sensor ground circuit. Is the resistance greater than 100k ohms?
Yes >> Go To 7
No >> There is a short between circuits of the ECM harness.
Repair or replace the engine harness.

7) Reconnect the ECM harness connector. Start the engine. Use the accelerator pedal again to accelerate the engine speed to a high idle (100%) and hold the engine speed at high idle for at least 20 seconds. Does DTC (U)/P2579 become active during engine operation?
Yes >> Replace the ECM.
No >> The problem may exist in the turbocharger speed sensor circuit or it may exist with other vehicle electronic
components. The problem may have been corrected when the harness connections were re-connected.
Be certain that the ECM and chassis grounds are in good condition. Hope this may help if the fault is reoccurring or is presently active. Cheers!

Last edited by contentlynumb; 03-24-2010 at 06:43 AM.
contentlynumb is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to contentlynumb For This Useful Post:
magram (04-11-2010)
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Also been dealing with this code on the newest HD175 after I updated my XRT. It doesn't seem to affect power or mileage so I've just let the light blaze for now.
Cody@LoveFab is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
H&S Performance

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Ken is correct, the U code can often be crossed to a P. I have just finished going through the code for the XRT files for HOT DAMN, NO Turbo Tuning. There was a software error in that code for the 2579 dtc. That error has been corrected and a new file has been uploaded to the H&S website for download. So if you guys were running the HOT DAMN NO TURBO TUNING, go update and it will take care of your issue.

If you are running a tune other than the one above AND getting a 2579 code, please let me know! I need to know which tune you are running and the year and transmission of your truck so i can get it fixed! Thanks!

Bentley
Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Here's a link i saved a while back for future needs. Hope it will help you next time

6.7 dtcs
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.