Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2nd gen swap turbo options!!

17K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  DMan1198 
#1 ·
Bout to purchase 2nd gen kit, probably from source or rollinsmokes bmd kit. Just wanted some reasurance/last minute opinions on turbo options.

Truck is a daily driver, I dont tow, haul or get on it. I just want to get rid of the vgt and make the truck more reliable and last longer. Dont plan on any fuel upgrades. That being said.. What size should I go with. I drive about 80miles a day. Highway and city

S463,464,465??? Somethin for a good street daily driver

I see people recomend a s467 but then hear about how they are laggy and people downsizing

#2 ·
If your 100% sure you'll never plan to upgrade the fuel system or want any more power down the road, the listed sizes are what your looking for. Just go with the stainless diesel 464 kit and have fun!!!

#3 ·
Yeah if i did fuel upgrades it wouldnt be till next year or even later on. Between the 63,64, and 65... Is there a noticeable difference between the 3 that would be felt!??

#4 ·
My vote is for neither one. Go for the s467 with .90 ar housing and the right tuning and youll be fine. Plus you have a lot to grow with if you want it. I'd rather overdo it than vise versa.

#29 ·
You can piece it together and safe some money. Also going with a 3pc style (T4 used from classifieds) manifold will save you some cash as well. Going with a higher end stainless diesel or steed is gonna cost a good bit more.. I've ran both and there is no difference or gain between the two..(you may see slight gains on a dyno but you will not feel it on the streets at all).

#6 ·
I think it's funny that Dirty in his initial post says no more upgrades or fuel upgrades. Then in his 2nd post he's willing to do fuel upgrades next year. Bro. Get the 467. Watch YouTube and you'll see they do just fine towing and just daily driving. That turbo is very capable of 800rwhp with the right upgrades to fuel. Then you have room to upgrade with fuel mods as your finances allow. These damn things are like a drug addiction. The more HP you get. The more you want. LOL...

Neachas, you should do the same. 467 2nd gen kit. Look into which manifold you want. Steed speed or Stainless Diesel. Stainless diesel offers a full kit to change over to. Check out the vendors. They offer 2nd gen swap kits with the manifolds mentioned as upgrades

#7 ·
I pieced together my own kit with the S-467.7 FMW Turbo and have been amazed at the results, drive it everyday, I have tried both the .90 and the 1.10 turbine housings, the .90 is best if towing constantly other-wise, the 1.10 housing gives a little more up top and I presently run the 1.10 for the top end rush, LOL. Really didn't notice much difference in the low end spool,
but I really notice the difference from mid range on up with the 1.10 Exhaust Housing.

#9 ·
Pulled the trigger and went with Source Automotives 2nd gen kit with s465 after talking with their techs. They were extremely helpful on answeing questions and makin the best turbo choise!!

I mean good lord, when i say future fuel mods I dont mean for atleast a year or two down the road.Def other things that need to come first haha. So until then it can wait. I gotta have a reliable dd that isnt too laggy. Just got the the turbo today!! Waitin on the rest of the kit to get here Wednesday!!

#10 ·
Glad your getting the size that best suits your needs. I did something similar. When I called Hamilton. I thought for sure they'd recommend the 188/220 cam. They recommend the 178/208 cam for my style of driving even with my fuel mods. So sometimes when your really able to get into a deep conversation about your driving style and future mods. The distributor is your best source.

Reactions: Hazmatic
#11 ·
You will not be disappointed. I just did a borg warner s466/83mm .90 and could not be happier. I got my kit used for a really good deal and have no complaints with the swap. Look at my sig for mods.

#12 ·
I cant wait! Parts should be here tomorrow. Got everything tore down.

But got a couple questions.. I just reuse my old turbo flange bolts correct?? Does the manifold have new studs in it?? Also what is the size of the hose on the hard coolant line behind the alternator.. Mine was dry rotted and ripped all to hell

#13 ·
It all depends on your kit. Like I said my kit was used but had all the parts. I reused all my factory exhaust bolts but had to buy 2 1.25" bolts for #3-4 because the runners on the manifold(pdi) sat up too high for the factory bolts to go in. As far as coolant lines I'm not sure of the factory size that runs to motor buy my s466 is oil only so I had to plug my other coolant lines. Hope that helps a little

#14 ·
Was able to find some heater hose that fit!!

Need some help with this now! The turbo to mani studs!? How the hell can i get those out to reuse. I tried to get them off with vice grips. Didnt budge. I soacked them lastnight in pb blaster and will try again later after work.called around an no one has m10x1.5 studs(thats the correct size right)

#15 ·
Sorry I was talking about the manifold to block bolts. Your kit should have hardware to connect the turbo to manifold. Was easier for me to attach the turbo to mani then install

#19 ·
Truck is all done and running. Just put 4.10 gears in too!!0:)

As for the install i did run into some problems. Kit did come with bolts for manifold to turbo hook up. Oil inlet line was too short and had to get a custom made one from napa. The exhaust was a huge pita trying to get everything to line up and to get the downpipe to mount flush with turbo. Also had to work on it alittle with a hammer to clear some trans lines. Yes the ccv can bent to atmosphere. Mine is just rerouted down firewall along the frame and dumped.

Original efi live tunes didnt work and the new custom new wasnt running right either. After going back and forth Anarchy sent another tune that seems to work. Other than that truck is good, little slow to spool which is expected from s465.Truck isnt some tire shredder but runs good. Definitely needs some injectors to wake her up!!!

Reactions: RAMBUNCTIOUS
#20 ·
Dirty24,

what are the exact turbo dimensions? I re read the post and didn't see the specs.

I am talking with Stainless and am looking at buying their kit s467/83 1.0
you mentioned a little laggy, is your truck auto or manual?

#21 ·
Its a s465 65/83/.9. I hear ya! Mine is a an auto. I mean it is slower to spool. Stock fuel with efi turned up a bit can only do so much, you definitely dont get the gull potential

#23 ·
This is true! But it wont ever spool like the factory vgt could unless you have injectors or a ton of low boost fueling. Everybody is different but nice easy daily drivin its just slower spool.A 4th gen with mcc would be nice haha.

I have a quetsion though, what would you guys recommend injector wise for my setup. S465. I want to keep the factory cp3 without goin to a bigger pump

#24 ·
Low boost fuelling does not spool a turbo faster. Literally any time there's any smoke it's going to take longer to spool your turbo

#25 ·
Hmm i didnt even think about it that way! My tunes now are super clean. Sometimes I wonder if the tunes are even pushing the turbo and im gettin what I paid for hahaha!

What would be a good injector to run with my setup now!? On a stock cp3

#26 ·
60-75% overs would be my suggestion. Should be good for about 650whp with good tuning.

I have a good amount of personal experience with flooding out turbos; you can lose 2-400rpm of spoolup with too much fuel under the charger.

Reactions: dirty24
#27 ·
Im all ears!! This is the info i wanna hear! Really? 60-70% I thought anything over 100hp injectors is too much on a stock cp3?

And since my truck only has 92,000 miles... could i do nozzles intead of a new injectors. Im coming from a 5.9 where thery were cheap for a whole set hahah

#28 ·
The way I look at it being able to deliver the same amount of fuel the stock injectors can at 3100us (what's considered max safe duration, or we sometimes call it strung out) at around 2000us (which is right around stock duration) will make for a lot more efficient setup; meaning even though it isn't really more fuel it is getting it in in a space where it can do more work, and not send as much energy out the exhaust.

With that mileage I'd suggest sending your current injectors out to exergy, or s&s, and have them checked out, and if they're good then have them punched out to where they'll flow the same as stock at 3100us/26,100psi at 2000us/26,100psi; then if you ever do decide to add more pump you've got some room to grow.

#30 ·
I gotcha! Im slowy tryin to understand tuning cause I eventually want to make my own tunes. So basically i could go to a decent size injector but have the duration and timing down so i dont outflow the stock cp3?

#31 ·
Yeah, exactly.

#32 ·
I head ya! Now im just excited to buy injectors and really see what this thing can do! 100s or alittle bigger should do the trick. What would that put me at horsepower wise?

And yes.. lift pump and studs would go in too

#35 ·
600-650whp is a reasonable expectation of a stock pump. There are some unicorns that've done over 700, but those are pretty rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.