Lumbar support broke...help - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Non-Powertrain
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lumbar support broke...help

Anyone know where to get lumbar support pieces for the front drivers seat? the damn lumbar support broke today when I hit a bump....quality stuff.....where can i find a part for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I thought the seats came with a 5 year warranty
07.5 QCSB 4X4,CumminsForum leveling kit, Synergy,Anarchy,H&S O/D TCM,GDP S-3,boost tube,and ccv delete,Full Shibby egr deletes,S&B,DashHawk,B&W,Prodigy P3,AirLift,CD box brace,Borgeson,5-5100 Bilsteins,Maxx Links, 17x9 XD Hoss and Toyo AT2's.
seanth468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ya i dont know....its possible....i took the seat apart earlier and can fix it pretty quick as long as i can get the part
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mine broke as well (turned the knob too hard). It was covered by warranty and fixed by the dealer. I believe they had the part in inventory.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
If you don't have a warranty left (it just falls under the 3yr/36k mile), the dealer will try to sell you the entire seat back at the tune of $400. They will tell you that they can't get the lumbar strip by itself. This is wrong. The part number for the replacement lumbar strip is is1-05166079aa. Hope this helps.

'15 Granite Crystal Hellcat Challenger 6MT: On order

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." -Ayn Rand
BroncoHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

awesome! thanks for the help guys! ill see what they try and slide by me this week!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Is this the part number for the manual lumbar? I bought a front seat to replace my torn and foam crumbling drivers seat....how difficult would it be to put my power lumbar back on the seat I just bought w/ manual lumbar?.....as for fixing the manual lumbar, the knob just spins easily , what needs replacing to fix this?

03-2500 Flame Red QC SB 4X4 HO SLT 48RE-Alpine-stock alum rims wrapped w/ 285/75 Nitto Duras-Rotella and Wix- looking to add Edge or Smarty....87 Furd F250 4x2 6.9 NATURAL..
HIGHRISK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHRISK View Post
Is this the part number for the manual lumbar? I bought a front seat to replace my torn and foam crumbling drivers seat....how difficult would it be to put my power lumbar back on the seat I just bought w/ manual lumbar?.....as for fixing the manual lumbar, the knob just spins easily , what needs replacing to fix this?
Yes, it's for the manual lumbar. I have no idea how involved converting manual to power would be, but i would imagine it couldn't be THAT complicated. Why couldn't you just transfer the cushions and seat covers from the replacement seat to your existing frame with power lumbar?

As for fixing the manual lumbar, free spinning adjustment wheel probably means the little white plastic housing of the retention pin is busted; terrible design flaw to make the housing plastic since it bears all the twisting forces when turning the knob if you ask me. When the one in my father's '05 broke, I ended up replacing the manual lumbar assembly which is the part number i referenced earlier. Over on DTR just yesterday, however, a new member posted a $0.99 fix that reads like it might just do the trick and make the lumbar much less prone to failure again down the road. Here is a copy of his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGuider on DTR
It looks like it's been over a year since someone has updated this thread, so i'll go ahead and add my two cents for a quick $0.99 cent repair to probably the most frequent issue for breaking manual lumbar supports.

I hopped up into my 2005 Dodge Ram last night and felt my manual lumbar support give way. The problem was that the white plastic spinner inside the black housing broke at the point where it surrounds the tension pin (you'll understand exactly where all these points are once you see them).

I did an online search for repair and the best option i found was to hand over $40.00 for a new lumbar mechanism. My wife is a checkbook Nazi so i knew i was on a tight budget -- which most times forces creativity.

This problem can be fixed simply with an eye bolt and nut... more specifically: a $0.99 pack from Home Depot: #8-32 x 1-5/8" eye bolt.

Basically, for those that already know more than i did about the mechanism, all you're doing is creating a new hole for the tension pin with the eye bolt.

If you're not much of a fix-it guru (i'm certainly not), don't be shy when disassembling the lumbar mechanism because it's not a difficult fix. Here's how i did it on my 2005 Ram (and i don't know technical jargon, so forgive the simple language):

-Remove the adjustment knob. Mine just pulled off.
-Remove the black trim under the knob (2 screws).
-Carefully remove the white housing (2 screws; this will be under the seat fabric, so carefully remove).
-Twist the white, plastic tension screw. This is actually a two-piece mechanism. If it twists freely until it comes out, then you've found your problem; you'll see the end of this plastic hardware broken and missing half the housing that surrounds the tension pin.
-HERE'S WHERE YOU USE THE EYE BOLT: Unscrew the two white plastic screws. In the middle of the groove where the tension pin rests, drill a hole (large enough for the bolt) straight through the broken plastic screw. Insert the eye bolt until the eye portion rests along the groove in the screw. Place and tighten the nut on the other end of the eye bolt that's protruding from the end of the plastic screw. Reconnect the two plastic screws.
-Tilt the seat as far forward as you can. Under the back portion of the seat you'll find an access point to the seat guts. Carefully pull the the locking strip apart and fold the fabric up until you can clearly see the lumbar mechanism on the backside.
-From the side of the seat where you've removed the adjustment mechanism, push the release tab and twist the black cylindrical mechanism so that you now can access this part from the back of the seat.
-Push the tension pin out of one side of the lumbar strap and fully out of the black housing.
-Insert the plastic screw mechanism with new eye bolt into the black housing (eye bolt first)... you see where i'm headed with this now, don't you?
-Push the tension pin back through the black housing, MAKING SURE IT FINDS ITS WAY THROUGH ITS NEW, METAL RIGID HOME, and back through the lumbar strap.
-Push and twist the black mechanism back into the seat housing.
-Fold the seat fabric down and reconnect strips.
-Replace white housing, making sure to carefully push it under the fabric.
-Replace black trim.
-Replace knob.
-Enjoy a beer (or two) and give your wife some flowers with the money you've saved.
Here is the link to the original post on DTR: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...t-t198615.html

'15 Granite Crystal Hellcat Challenger 6MT: On order

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." -Ayn Rand
BroncoHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BroncoHound For This Useful Post:
deankats (08-10-2013), jamesr (07-04-2011), UNDER-PRESSURE (12-02-2011), white.lightnin' (07-07-2011)
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

that does make the most sense.....transfer the lower seat cushion and cover...I could add the memory foam base mod at that time....still want to fix the manual lumbar....thanks for the directions....this place beats TDR hands down....TDR is over rated......

03-2500 Flame Red QC SB 4X4 HO SLT 48RE-Alpine-stock alum rims wrapped w/ 285/75 Nitto Duras-Rotella and Wix- looking to add Edge or Smarty....87 Furd F250 4x2 6.9 NATURAL..
HIGHRISK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHound View Post
Yes, it's for the manual lumbar. I have no idea how involved converting manual to power would be, but i would imagine it couldn't be THAT complicated. Why couldn't you just transfer the cushions and seat covers from the replacement seat to your existing frame with power lumbar?

As for fixing the manual lumbar, free spinning adjustment wheel probably means the little white plastic housing of the retention pin is busted; terrible design flaw to make the housing plastic since it bears all the twisting forces when turning the knob if you ask me. When the one in my father's '05 broke, I ended up replacing the manual lumbar assembly which is the part number i referenced earlier. Over on DTR just yesterday, however, a new member posted a $0.99 fix that reads like it might just do the trick and make the lumbar much less prone to failure again down the road. Here is a copy of his post:

Here is the link to the original post on DTR: http://www.truckresource.com/dev/dri...t-t198615.html
I just tried that fix with an eye bolt.....easy and a permanent fix, no way it can break now an 100 times stronger than the stock POS. only took a couple hours and less than $2.00 at a hrdware store.
My back thanks you for that link.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

This quick fix works, I just did mine yesterday. $0.33 part, less than 30 min and I now have my lumbar back. There is a post that has pictures of the assembly but the link shown above gives you the information needed to do this little fix. I found that the eye bolt nut was a little too big to allow the plastic screw to move to its fullest position so I simply ground down the nut on the eye bolt until it seated to my satisfaction. Sure glad to find such a cheap fix that is likely 100% better than the factory part that keeps breaking.
mikebollinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

I did the eye bolt repair, but I wrapped a washcloth around the lumbar band to increase the amount of lumbar support. Much more comfy.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.