Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Ram 4500 Fuel Mileage

34K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Ramrod3350 
#1 ·
Hey guys, heres the thing I need to get better fuel mileage outta my truck. Its a 08 4500 c&c towtruck, its 84 ca and it weighs 13000 empty. I'm getting anywhere from 8-10 mpg. It always changes depending on how much im out or what im hauling. Now the question is i dont wanna void any warrentys i have on this thing being that it is a commerical vehicle. I need something that is non tracible. I would be willing to do the turbo back straight pipe exhaust because i can always put the stock one back on. Now as far as a programer i dont know what one to go with, i dont need one that is super radical, but one that would give me more power if needed and deffinently more mpg. Any way you guys can lead me in the right direction would be great thanks, brian.

#2 ·
Well if you do a turbo back exhaust on these trucks you will void the warranty. Same with a programmer. Now you can put that parts back to stock but if the dealer looks hard enough they can find out that you screwed with it. So you either need to except that your going to void your warranty or the most your going to be able to do is an air intake and unplug your egr.

#11 ·
X2. Just unplug your egr and do the air intake. You should gain 2-3 mpg. With a dually your going to loose 20% from the single axle.

#3 ·
There really are no options that will make much of a difference in fuel economy that will not void your warranty......sorry , but that's the reality of of driving a 4500 diesel in 2011.

#4 ·
I just drove my truck from Calgary to Vancouver ... NO TRAILER.... with new 22.5 wheels that give a 4.09 dif ratio and i did one way trip with full tank... speed av was 115km/h and cound't make faster because my power steering was bad. so that make 1000km whit 180L in the rockies

#7 ·
I am confused. What is a 351??

Its just the 2 piece pdi exhaust manifold and stock turbo. Turbo and exhaust and ect moves forward about 1".

#12 ·
unplugging the EGR made no difference to my truck. 10k lb empty and the best MPG to date was 14 mpg empty with 8.5-9.5 grossing 26k with a windsail for a load.

#14 ·
Same trailer. Severly overloaded trucks.
95 12v 11.5 MPG running 60 MPH
04.5 srw 1 ton 10.5 MPG 70 MPH
The 5500 fits the bill for this much better with a large safety margin. This one is still breaking in at 25k miles and avg 11.5MPG empty. All trucks were in the 400-500HP range at the time.

#15 ·
As far as the warrenty from dodge, its bull sh** anyways. No mods done at all, been into dealers more then 50 times and could solve problem and still havent. Then to top it off dodge canada told me there is no fix for the problem and red flagged it to all dealers. So i was forced to chip it, fixed most of the problems but mileage and power fluctuations. Everyday i drive a different truck. Was wondering about different mileage improving tricks, exhaust, intake? What is the best one out there? But also looking for feedback on propane injection? Good? Bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.