oil change ......... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
oil change .........

Hi,

My 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine will soon be due for it's first oil change. Is it recommended to use conventional motor oil or full synthetic motor oil? Also, I know what the owner's manual recommends regarding oil weight, but are there different/better recommendations regarding oil weight?

Thanks,
Jim
jbach is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Weight according to your climate. The recommended weight takes care of most climate types, but if youre in miami you probably dont need to do the colder stuff

Synthetic or conventional is personal preference and your ability to pay the extra money synthetic costs. Im not sure at this point which one I will use
oaklandopen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I always ran synthetic in my gas engines for the added protection and extended oil change intervals (6000 is what I did). But since cummins recommends 7500 intervals, I may use conventional oil and change it every 6000 or 7000 miles. What do you guys do?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

- Bob is the Oil Guy is a huge source of information on oil and after reading a ton on there you can make an informed decision what oil is best for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Before I was deleted my Ram wanted an oil change (according to the EVIC) every 2,000 miles due to the frequent regens. The oil was filthy too. I'm not sure synthetic makes much sense if you're changing that often. If you can get the 7,500 between changes it might.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 G56 3.73 SB3250 Carli Pintop/Sway bar/Track bar/Full leafs 295/70/18s on Hostages, 35w Retroshop HID Projectors and fogs, a bunch of other stuff, oh and some other stuff fell off.
Ram2012 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I switched to Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40 at around 10k miles.

I also use a Donaldson ELF7349 so now I can extend the drain intervals to 10-15k. YMMV.
2008 Brilliant Black 3500 QC Laramie 4x4 | 285/70/17 Toyo AT2's | Anarchy EFI Live | DPF Delete | HBS Steering Brace | Thuren 2" Soft-Ride Coils | Thuren Overland Shocks | Thuren Track Bar | Sulastic Shackles
radjxf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,178 Posts
Due to the fuel contamination that occurs and The EXTREME variations in use, my suggestion is: Use convential oil as fuel will dilute syn oil just as quickly. change it based on the oil change indicator as it keeps track of the variables that occur.
one may need change at 3000 miles due to fuel dilution and number of regens required. Another may need change at 6000 miles. On my unit the message arrived at near 8000 miles. For these shorter change intervals, it is hard to justify the added cost of synthetic. On my 2000, I changed at up to 17500 miles and used syn oil with EOA perfromed appropiatelly.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Is anyone just running a delo 400? Its all I put in my 04 I get it for free from my work so was hoping I could put it in my 2012 bighorn

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You can start running synthetic after your first oil change.

I started running Rotella T6 at about 50,000 miles. According to my last UOA from Blackstone Labs they stated everything looks good & to take a sample at 15,000 miles this time.

My truck is deleted, running the H&S XRT PRO on "No Power" & grossing 22,000 LBS - 34,XXX LBS almost daily. No oil bypass filter as of yet. I may order one in the next couple weeks.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
Due to the fuel contamination that occurs and The EXTREME variations in use, my suggestion is: Use convential oil as fuel will dilute syn oil just as quickly. change it based on the oil change indicator as it keeps track of the variables that occur.
one may need change at 3000 miles due to fuel dilution and number of regens required. Another may need change at 6000 miles. On my unit the message arrived at near 8000 miles. For these shorter change intervals, it is hard to justify the added cost of synthetic. On my 2000, I changed at up to 17500 miles and used syn oil with EOA perfromed appropiatelly.
I agree, when the truck goes into regeneration mode (dpf equipped) it causes fuel dilution there are several threads on here (why is my truck making oil) if u want to research.
After putting synthetic oil in my brand new hemi many moons ago at only ~500 miles it slowly burnt about 1.5qts an oil change at 5k a change. After that I've learned to wait for an engine to break in before adding slippery oils (full synthetics). I've read on this forum to wait 20k-30k miles.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.