Bio Diesel in a 2012? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bio Diesel in a 2012?

Can I run any flavor of bio diesel in my 2012? B5? B20? or is it just stick to good ol' regular diesel?

Joe

2012 DRV Select Suites 38TKSB3 fifth wheel
Joezilla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

B5 unless you're deleted then run what ever you want.

In a stock 6.7 truck don't exceed 5%.

and here is why

Last edited by cory1337; 06-20-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added link
cory1337 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The HPCR fuel system is compatible with B20 biodiesel blends, conforming to industry-approved standards.
  • Cummins’ 6.7 liter turbo diesel engine for the Dodge Ram pickup was the first engine to be certified to meet the EPA’s 2010 standards for nitrogen oxides emissions – three years ahead of the deadline.
  • Cummins Diesel Recon recycles and reuses more than 50 million pounds of engine-related materials a year.
  • Cummins’ new on- and off-highway engines are certified to run effectively on a 20 percent blend of biodiesel fuel.
Cummins.com > Investors And Media > Press Releases > 2009

from cummins
Snofarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snofarmer View Post
The HPCR fuel system is compatible with B20 biodiesel blends, conforming to industry-approved standards.
  • Cummins’ 6.7 liter turbo diesel engine for the Dodge Ram pickup was the first engine to be certified to meet the EPA’s 2010 standards for nitrogen oxides emissions – three years ahead of the deadline.
  • Cummins Diesel Recon recycles and reuses more than 50 million pounds of engine-related materials a year.
  • Cummins’ new on- and off-highway engines are certified to run effectively on a 20 percent blend of biodiesel fuel.
Cummins.com > Investors And Media > Press Releases > 2009

from cummins
Dodge still says B5 in non urea trucks.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

So, what does one do in certain states. I just drove from Indiana through Illinois. Indiana all I could find was B15, same in Illinois. Can't find B5 there.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
So, what does one do in certain states. I just drove from Indiana through Illinois. Indiana all I could find was B15, same in Illinois. Can't find B5 there.
A tank or two of b15 or even b20 isn't going to hurt too much, I would avoid running it all the time. If you had to run b15 all the time you might want to increase your oil change frequency or have oil analysis done.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1337 View Post
Dodge still says B5 in non urea trucks.
Where do they say that?

Other wise I'll stand by cummins's info as I can read the info from the horses mouth.

And the reasons you state in that link are just your opinion and most of then are not as correct as they should be.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Where do they say that?

Other wise I'll stand by cummins's info as I can read the info from the horses mouth.

And the reasons you state in that link are just your opinion and most of then are not as correct as they should be.
Dodge Diesel Suppliment Manual Please read page 66.

From a "I'm here to learn" standpoint what part of my "opinions" am I "not as correct as they should be"?

Cory
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I don't have a "dodge engine" I have a cummins. cummins says b20 is fine. I'll listen to the folks who make the engine.

The hysteria in that other post over Bio fuels, is some old info. No matter the fuel if it is old or not stored properly will deterate and cause proublems.
Algae will grow in straight diesel fuel also.
It all comes back to how it is stored and how old the fuel is.

A ? for you. what happens when you go to a state or live in one that has by law over 5%bio in the fuel?

When I did have a DPF I had no choice but to run bio.

Now my state is going to mandate B20, so regardless of dodges position you would not have a choice.

And even if I and you did use def fluid (urea) we would still have a DPF. It is the DPF that is limiting your use of Bio fuel as the DPF needs the heat from burning the diesel fuel to burn off the soot in the dpf. Bio fuels are lower in BTU's and this is the concern. because it will not burn off the soot completely if to much bio is used.
But cummins says b20 is fine to use.
Biodiesel Blend Mandate

Diesel fuel sold or offered for sale in the state for use in internal combustion engines must contain at least 5% biodiesel (B5). Beginning May 1, 2012 or when certain conditions have been met, during the months of April through October, diesel fuel must contain at least 10% biodiesel (B10). By May 1, 2015, diesel fuel must contain 20% biodiesel (B20) during these months. Diesel fuel sold during the remainder of the year must be B5. The Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, and the Pollution Control Agency, in consultation with the Biodiesel Task Force and other technical experts, may allow the higher specified biodiesel blend levels to be effective year round if determined that an ASTM specification or equivalent federal standard exists for the specified biodiesel blend level that adequately addresses technical issues associated with Minnesota's cold weather and publish a notice in the State Register to that effect. Additional exceptions may apply.

It does say B5 on p66 and in MN we already have been using B10, so now what?

Last edited by Snofarmer; 06-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'd stick with diesel fuel.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I'd stick with diesel fuel.
What diesel fuel?

I'd stick with #2 diesel fuel, Ie fuel oil if we had a choice in mn and many other states

but
You may not have a choice. Even if the pump is not labeled "BIO" in MN it still has bio in it even if the pump says #2.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
I don't have a "dodge engine" I have a cummins. cummins says b20 is fine. I'll listen to the folks who make the engine.

The hysteria in that other post over Bio fuels, is some old info. No matter the fuel if it is old or not stored properly will deterate and cause proublems.
Algae will grow in straight diesel fuel also.
It all comes back to how it is stored and how old the fuel is........
You're right the engine is manufactured by cummins but the size of the fuel filter is decided by dodge. Also are you sure that article is not referring to trucks with urea and or better filtration that is found on more industrial applications?

I wasn't talking about algae growth or "old" fuel I was talking about how biodiesel leaches water out of the air. The filtration on our trucks was not designed with B20 in mind.

Quote:
..........And even if I and you did use def fluid (urea) we would still have a DPF. It is the DPF that is limiting your use of Bio fuel as the DPF needs the heat from burning the diesel fuel to burn off the soot in the dpf. Bio fuels are lower in BTU's and this is the concern. because it will not burn off the soot completely if to much bio is used.
But cummins says b20 is fine to use.
Biodiesel Blend Mandate

Diesel fuel sold or offered for sale in the state for use in internal combustion engines must contain at least 5% biodiesel (B5). Beginning May 1, 2012 or when certain conditions have been met, during the months of April through October, diesel fuel must contain at least 10% biodiesel (B10). By May 1, 2015, diesel fuel must contain 20% biodiesel (B20) during these months. Diesel fuel sold during the remainder of the year must be B5. The Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, and the Pollution Control Agency, in consultation with the Biodiesel Task Force and other technical experts, may allow the higher specified biodiesel blend levels to be effective year round if determined that an ASTM specification or equivalent federal standard exists for the specified biodiesel blend level that adequately addresses technical issues associated with Minnesota's cold weather and publish a notice in the State Register to that effect. Additional exceptions may apply.

It does say B5 on p66 and in MN we already have been using B10, so now what?
With urea and less EGR the engine produces less soot thus needing less regens. This means that less fuel will get into the oil. B20 is less of a problem at that point because you are regening much less often.

In a state that has B11-B20 then you should get oil analysis and change your oil accordingly. I would also add extra filtration for both water and "dirt" (bio is a cleaner you know).

Have a happy summer day!
Cory
The Following User Says Thank You to cory1337 For This Useful Post:
confused7638 (10-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.