truck overheating no cab heat - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
truck overheating no cab heat

i have 60,000 miles on my truck and i cant keep the radiator full. it keeps pushing into the overflow. i havent spent much time on it yet been busy with work but now its getting cold and i need heat in the cab. where should i start. i tested cap and only held 13 psi so i replaced, quick and easy but not the answer.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

Sounds like you may have a head gasket issue? Did you remove the EGR cooler entirely? If not that could be cracked and air locking your heater core supply.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

i only unplugged egr
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Choot 'em Clay, Choot 'em

Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,161 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Could also be a water pump. Good friend of mine was having the same issue. One shop said oh its head studs the shop changed the water pump and hes been trouble free since.

Rambeaux67 is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rambeaux67 For This Useful Post:
Sandman76 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeaux67 View Post
Could also be a water pump. Good friend of mine was having the same issue. One shop said oh its head studs the shop changed the water pump and hes been trouble free since.
This happend to me with my 2004 i was told it was the head gasket. got the head gasket done, got it back and it continued to happen. in the end it was the water pump. so i'd start there cause it's way cheaper of a fix 800$ vs 2000$
The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatious For This Useful Post:
Sandman76 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatious View Post
This happend to me with my 2004 i was told it was the head gasket. got the head gasket done, got it back and it continued to happen. in the end it was the water pump. so i'd start there cause it's way cheaper of a fix 800$ vs 2000$
Water pump is not $800. In fact you can buy an aftermarket one yourself for about $60 and install it yourself. But as he is an '08 it should still be covered under the 100k powertrain warrantee. My '07.5 was a couple months ago.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
diesel addict

I had the same exact problems when I popped my head gaskett last winter. Truck would blow ice cold "heat" into cab, coolant kept puking from over flow, and lots of pressure was forming in the coolant system, which is what causes your coolant to not circulate. I'd find a way to plug into your coolant system with a PSI gauge of some sort. With normal temps and operating cooling pressure, you should't see more then 5-8psi. If your getting more than that, cylinder pressure is entering you coolant system pressuring it up and not letting the coolant circulate around. This is something I would diagnose soon, as I have seen blown head gastkets and overheating require machining of the head/block which can get expensive.
'11 White Laramie 2500 ATS 68RFE CCSB, 5" Flo-Pro, GDP Intake Horn/CC Breather/GH Delete, Isspro Boost/Drive/Rail/Lift, Black Maxx, 18x9 Novakanes, 305/70R18 ATZs, Thuren/Carli/Bilstein, HIDs, APR 625s, Billett S366 on Steedspeed, II 120% CP3, 60% Exergy Nozzles, Airdog 200, dual fuelers waiting.....
highdrum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjesson View Post
Water pump is not $800. In fact you can buy an aftermarket one yourself for about $60 and install it yourself. But as he is an '08 it should still be covered under the 100k powertrain warrantee. My '07.5 was a couple months ago.
As a rule in the states get your parts for much cheaper then we normally do north of the border. 800$ was high, the shop did some other work for me I forgot about. I dug out my work order, the water pump cheapest one i could get my hands on was 140$. after labour and what not i was looking at about 350$ installed for the water pump. but not everyone has the time, place or tools to do all there own repairs. i hate having mechanics do my work that normally i'd do myself, but some times its just not in the cards to do your own repairs. he is also running deleted if its the truck in his Sig, so his warranty voided unless he is lucky enough to have a dealer thats willing to look past that.

Last edited by Ignatious; 12-11-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Ignatious is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

K, there's a lot being thrown around here. Here's the order of business:

1) Buy a few feet of heater hose and re-route the coolant AROUND the EGR cooler to see if the problem goes away after fully bleeding the coolant system. If it goes away, EGR cooler is cracked and you won't need that under the hood any longer.
2) Water pump.
3) Head Gasket.

That is the exact order I would go with.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
zin
Cummins Nut

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you can get your truck up to operating temp and pop the cap off the radiator and spit it it to see if the water is being pushed (pumped) and flowing. That will tell you if your water pump is working.

2010 CC, LB, laramie, SRW fully deleted, 4" TBE w/muffler, S&B CAI, H&S mm w/ TT, nav unlock
Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

could also be low coolent
7492 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Choot 'em Clay, Choot 'em

Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,161 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman76 View Post
K, there's a lot being thrown around here. Here's the order of business:

1) Buy a few feet of heater hose and re-route the coolant AROUND the EGR cooler to see if the problem goes away after fully bleeding the coolant system. If it goes away, EGR cooler is cracked and you won't need that under the hood any longer.
2) Water pump.
3) Head Gasket.

That is the exact order I would go with.
I agree all the way!! This is where i would start out too. Dont fix whats not broke to find out you still dont have it fixed. I would be pissed if i did head studs to find out i coulda changed a $60 water pump!!

Rambeaux67 is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rambeaux67 For This Useful Post:
ctolb (02-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.