Buyin tires really soon.. Cant decide Toyo MT or Cooper SST?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Buyin tires really soon.. Cant decide Toyo MT or Cooper SST??

I have read countless reviews and opinions on here and on tire dealers... I have come to the decide between Toyo Open Country MT and Cooper Discover SST Tek3.

I am running 275 70R 18 XD rockstars.. I currently have on Mickey Thompson ATZ and they really suprised me in life span, Nearly 50k, but I just want and need a little more aggresive off road tire sometimes.. Mainly winter.. But I am not switching up during the summer.. So these will be on year round, but for a MT tire I have heard many good and very few if negatives on each one.. I need tires like 2 months ago, but I have bit the bullet now long enough and found a sell on coopers but just hesitant on going thru with buying them yet. Toyo's everywhere I have seen are about $100-$200 more for the entire set, but for a potential better tire I dont mind $200..

Whats the veridct??
07.5' 2500 Auto 6-Spd Quad Cab Inferno Red Big Horn Edition 4wd. Kelly safari on 18" Chrome Rockstars, Black Maxx w/ OD Software AFE Stage II CAI, 5" TBE FloPro , Egr and cooler has been deleted and not plug... Smoke switch
dodgethebullet88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Toyo MT....my cooper sst did not last me 30,000
Matt G. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Same here i run toyo mt or nitto terra grappler. The nittos last a liitle longer actually.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Another vote for the Toyos...that's all I run on my trucks. The Cooper is made of a softer rubber therefore life span is shorter.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Im on nittos great traction six speed manual barely break them loose on wet pavement in a third gear punch but my truck is all stock
stljeeper1019 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Work to sled

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Toyo MT SUCK in winter. Snow and ice are brutal. But I guess what can you expect from a mud tire??? I got 20,000 miles out of my set of Toyo's and I would not buy them again. A mall cruiser in the desert sure, they are a good looking tire. For my needs they did not fit the bill. Terrible snow & ice handling, terrible heavy towing.
B&W/AMP Research/Transfer Flow/Bakflip/Rigid
-lenny- is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Toyo MT SUCK in winter. Snow and ice are brutal. But I guess what can you expect from a mud tire??? I got 20,000 miles out of my set of Toyo's and I would not buy them again. A mall cruiser in the desert sure, they are a good looking tire. For my needs they did not fit the bill. Terrible snow & ice handling, terrible heavy towing.
I've got these on my truck right now, and I'm no too impressed with there snow handling. I had them sipped, and they do ok on the road. Something else to consider, is that when I put these on, I lost about 1 1/2 -2 Miles per gallon. Just something else to throw out there
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Love my toyo's. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
2010 2500CC 68RFE 4x4 "reliable edition" 6 inch procomp BMF SOTA 20x9 Toyo MT 37x13.50x20 Carli Low Mount Stabilizer Backwoods Bumpers Front and Rear Deluxe Baja Bumpers Rigid Industries 40" LED Lightbar
Speciulboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Only 20k miles?? I consistently get 45 to 50k out of mine and I do quite a bit of towing...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I like my Toyo's so far, just wondering, have you guys noticed a right pull with the Toyo MT's? Im trying to figure out if it is my steering or the tires that are making my truck pull to the right.
raymondd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

@Raymond

Yes. I picked up some used tires (35 toyo MT) from my local go to shop to get me by for a couple of months and they were fairly worn, but good enough for non-ice/snow conditions on the streets and highways. I had just put in a new track bar, ball joints, rotors and hubs and brake pads (standard 2nd gen stuff!) The tires seemed to pull the right and as they continued to wear, the drift got worse. I then rotated them and it was good for a while with a slight drift and getting worse as the were wearing.

I was about to go pick up some Kelly TSR (Have had good luck with them before) and the guys at the shop said they had a set of the same tires that had been returned (as they did not fit the wheel wells).. These Toyo MTs were about 1 day old and they sold them to me for $260 a piece.

I noticed that my truck runs straight but occasionally I notice a rightward drift. I hope it doesn't get worse. Any opinions on this would be helpful. (I though it was just the 2nd gen issue!)
-97 12v 4K gov springs, 4" exhaust, #10 fuel plate, 16.5* timing, built trans, KDP gone
-02 Chevy D-max dually, Fass 150 Pump, Suncoast stage 4 w/ velocity tc
stonedog406 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
I have always siped my tires on all my trucks. It makes A HUGE difference, especially on ice. But if you run on a lot off road or gravel, they will wear down sooner.
-97 12v 4K gov springs, 4" exhaust, #10 fuel plate, 16.5* timing, built trans, KDP gone
-02 Chevy D-max dually, Fass 150 Pump, Suncoast stage 4 w/ velocity tc
stonedog406 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.