Smell burning rubber, smoke from wheel well - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smell burning rubber, smoke from wheel well

its an 08 2500 QC SB with 2600 miles. Smetimes after i back into the garage and shut it off, i smell burning rubber. i looked at the under carriage and didnt see anything. looked in the passenger side front wheel well and there was smoke coming out. not much, but enough to concern me. looks like it could be coming from the turbo, but not sure. smoke was gone when i popped the hood.

no problems, no cel, and it doesnt feel like anything is wrong. anyone have a similar problem?
ms2428 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

was your belt squeaking at all? maybe the belt is just slipping enough to cause some smoke. check it for wear or cracks. I know its a new truck but who knows. my buddy has an 07 and the AC compressor seizes sometimes and it really cranks when you turn the AC on to get it goin. maybe you have a bad ground somewhere that is shorting something out and causing a wire to melt. Its a new truck so its hard to tell
94 12valve 5 speed.5" single stack,AFE intake,Holset H1E, bosch 370s, TST #6, Schied Diesel DVs, HD valve springs, FASS150 A-meter Pyro and boost, boost elbow, KPD killed,16.5*, 550hp clutch on the way, leveling kit, 35s
Bomaster238 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Mine stinks to all hell when I turn it off during a regen however it's more of a 'really hot metal' (thinking welding) smell than a burning rubber smell I'm told the stench is normal up to about 5000 miles but I don't have any smoke to go with it.

Check for any hoses or wires that might be too close to the exhaust system.
slagburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

did you possibly just get an oil change done?

maybe if its still super new then there is stuff burning out of the or off of the exhaust somewhere.

why not go get it checked out at the dealership
Old 12-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

im bringing it in this week. but i have to drive 400 miles tomorrow and am a little worried about breaking down. hopefully itll be ok
Old 12-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

mine does it as well, from what i've personally noticed a pyrometer gauge is one of the best purchases you can make for your truck. There's a good chance it's in regen when you're shutting it off, I've caught mine 800-950 degrees (stopped) even after idling around a parking lot until I find a spot. Every time I get the rubber smell it's in regen.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'd agree it's probably just in regen. I have found that if I drive mine around in a parkng lot or just sit and idle then the EGT's drop to about 650 and I don't get the smell. If I shut it down at an 800-900 degree EGT than I defedently get the "melting" smell. If your EGT sensors down by your dpf and NOx trap get to somthing like 570 then the truck will come out of regen and you won't shut if off during a burn cycle. Somthing we all have to deal with. Oh well, I still love this truck. It's way more comfortable than my 1st gen.

Last edited by atc250r18; 12-24-2007 at 07:38 PM.
atc250r18 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I thought this was going to be a post about the power these 6.7s have. Figured it was tire smoke and burning rubber.

I never smell burning rubber up front, but I also smell the hot metal/welding smell sometimes and I figure it was probably in regen when I shut it off.
2012 Laramie - 6.7 - CCSRW4X4 - 6-Speed Auto - 4:10 - Edge CTS - Mag Hytec - 2" Hellbent Leveling - BD Adjustable Track Bar - Ride Rites - PullRite 5th Wheel Auto Slider
Flattman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

i thought that when it was in regen the overhead console indicated so..??

anyway, yeah the power is great. i love this truck. i traded an 06 QC SB Laramie 5.9 for this one and im very happy i did. the 6 spd auto is the main reason i traded. the 6.7 and jake brake are awesome too. it also feels like it rides much smoother and tighter. just wish we could have it without the dpf. thinking of getting the delete, but i dont want to jeopardize my warranty.

merry christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms2428 View Post
i thought that when it was in regen the overhead console indicated so..??
The overhead indicates when the catalyst is full however it doesn't tell you when the truck is going through a regen cycle; some say that they can tell because the mileage drops off suddenly but I haven't found that to be 100% accurate where I live since I can seldom maintain a steady speed for any length of time and don't really drive many truly flat roads.

Best bet is to either have a programmer that can monitor the EGT / regen process or install gauges.
slagburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
its an 08 2500 QC SB with 2600 miles. Smetimes after i back into the garage and shut it off, i smell burning rubber. i looked at the under carriage and didnt see anything. looked in the passenger side front wheel well and there was smoke coming out. not much, but enough to concern me. looks like it could be coming from the turbo, but not sure. smoke was gone when i popped the hood.

no problems, no cel, and it doesnt feel like anything is wrong. anyone have a similar problem?
Thats why they call it new ,not even worry ,take it back you paid for them to look .

Thats why they call it new .Not even a wreyie
Rollin 'on an 08' 4x4 6.7L Dodge Dually, 6 Speed Auto,3.73 Custom Front/Rear Bumpers, NFab Running Boards, B&W Goose Neck Trailer Hitch. Powered by Bay Area Diesel Performance 5'' tbe 6''tip [size does matter] edge w and juice attitude
dodgetuff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
its an 08 2500 QC SB with 2600 miles. Smetimes after i back into the garage and shut it off, i smell burning rubber.

Yeah, I got that burning rubber smell too. I noticed it when I pulled in to the driveway. Truck was still idling and the exhaust was extremely hot. It must have been in regen when I stopped. The smell was coming from the rear of the truck. I think the exhaust hangers are getting hot and the smell is coming from the rubber isolater.
JASE4X4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.