Better fuel economy - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Better fuel economy

I have a 2008 dodge ram 3500 4x4 6.7 cummins with a6 speed automatic and the best MPG I can get is 14. which chip is best for 6.7 dodge cummins diesel to improve fuel economy?
rhuff02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

there is nothing that will really help until you do the deletes. If you are able there are a few routes to acomplish this. If you are willing to give up any warranty left and don't live in the comunist state of Kalifornia then you should start in on your research because there is no real magic bullet here but alot of really good ways to acomplish it.

Chris
drtnsnw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

My 07.5 same set-up gets 17-18 but it's deleted with a smarty.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

At least unplug your egr and live with the cel and see how you do.Heck I get 14mpg pulling 15,000lbs on level ground.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanaman View Post
At least unplug your egr and live with the cel and see how you do.Heck I get 14mpg pulling 15,000lbs on level ground.

i gained about 1 full MPG just by doing this and leaving everything else stock. wat really killed mine was the addition of 20s and 33in MTs. i was in the 15s now im in the high 13s. i didnt unplug the EGR untill after the tire/wheel swap so i couldnt tell you how much itd help with a completely stock truck.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel1988 View Post

i gained about 1 full MPG just by doing this and leaving everything else stock. wat really killed mine was the addition of 20s and 33in MTs. i was in the 15s now im in the high 13s. i didnt unplug the EGR untill after the tire/wheel swap so i couldnt tell you how much itd help with a completely stock truck.
Completely stock truck with EGR unplugged and setup as shown in my sig about 1-2 mpg gain. No issues, seems to run better with more turbo noise and better EB. Maybe a little HP loss but if it is I can hardly tell. I will do full deletes in the near future though to try to up that some more and get rid of a lot of useless weight.
2010 2500 Ram 4x4 Laramie CCSB, TRX4, 3.42 LSD, 68RFE, Diamondback HD, Recon Blue high/low;yellow fogs, Mag Hytec Diffs, MM/OD, FloPro TBE 5" to 4" Duals, H&S, Glacier CCV Mod, Banks CAI, Bilstein 5160s, Amsoil BMK-21, Toyo AT2
mopartruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

well do what im about to do flow pro straight pipe egr/coller delete and a smarty tuner is what all the guys here are telling me is best for fuel economy
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

What is the collar delete. I searched egr collar delete and got nothing.
f419sr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by f419sr1 View Post
What is the collar delete. I searched egr collar delete and got nothing.
look up sinister egr/cooler delete good site is rolling smoke diesel
The Following User Says Thank You to 09cummin For This Useful Post:
f419sr1 (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartruck View Post
Completely stock truck with EGR unplugged and setup as shown in my sig about 1-2 mpg gain. No issues, seems to run better with more turbo noise and better EB. Maybe a little HP loss but if it is I can hardly tell. I will do full deletes in the near future though to try to up that some more and get rid of a lot of useless weight.
my butt-o-meter registered a slight gain in HP when i unpluged the EGR. the majority of the gain i got was in the low-mid range power band. with the EGR plugged in on my truck it had days when it would seem like it just ran better than others, now that the EGR is unplugged it seems to stay as abetter running truck. if that makes any sense.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

The best thing I would say is to get rid of all emissions after your warranty and get a smarty box and the best I've got is 24 but When actually calculated is about 22.5 but if you keep playing around you could possibly get better and I have six inch exhaust. I've gotten it to 27.5 but when said and done when at the pump the best is gonna be between 22-23. Also the box gives you everything you can add 190hp not sure how much torque. Can change timing of turbo psi of tires and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Last edited by 12DodgeRam; 06-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.
12DodgeRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My mileage didn't change much after deletes, as I did get around 20 both ways; the difference is how steady it stays. Without deletes my mileage dropped like a rock when in regen. After, no problem and steady on the road; trying to top steady 25 mpg. Didn't see where you live, and it's not really talked about much, but a better quality fuel definetly plays a part. I used to run fuel from a local station; though they went through a lot, it wasn't that great. After switching to one of the Top Tier certified brands (BP in my case) I saw smoother operation and a bit better economy, and I try to run at least a tank a month. Another thing someone suggested is getting your fuel system serviced by the dealer; going to get that done when I get back. Apparently, it flushes a ton of crap out of the system. Microbiological contamination is also an issue, and running a good additive can prevent it. Hope any of this rambling helps.
CSP5/AutoCal,tuned by Ryan; Overdrive; Bully Dog 40402; Autometer trans temp; Sinister EGR/cooler delete; CCV breather; Shibby delete plugs; Fumoto; 5100's; Custom Diesel box brace; Diesel Max tank vent kit; Putco in-channel vent visors; Husky floor liners; dash cover; shimmed FRV; EBC Ultimax with 7100 green pads; modded S300SX3-S366 ; Flo-Pro HX40 downpipe; ATS 3rd gen mani with stainless studs; AFE Stage 2 XP CAI; fully welded exhaust; used SS muffler;
norfla71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.