Exhaust System - Exhaust Filter 80% Full Regneration Required - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust System - Exhaust Filter 80% Full Regneration Required

Earlier this morning I got in my truck to go to the neighboring pasture. When I started it I noticed two lights were on, the CEL and the lightning bolt sign (I forgot what that meant). When I arrived I heard a ding and looked at the overhead console and saw "Exhaust System- Exhaust Filter 80% Full Regeneration Required".. Do I need to take the truck in and get it cleaned out? And should I not drive it til it's fixed? Except to get it to the dealer
Laguna Grande is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
You need to drive it as stated in your owners manual. In other words drive until it regens on its own.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

So no need to take it to the dealer? And I really want to do deletes on this thing but i'm not mechanic and would probably mess something up o.O
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Take it out on the highway and run it hard.....it will clean itself out. Check your air filter and see how dirty it is or check to see if your battery cables are loose.....which may be causing the lighting bolt.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would take it on the hwy and leave it in 5th gear, that will get the EGT's up quick too and help it burn off quicker.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Well I did that.. And now it's up to 90% full?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Grande View Post
Well I did that.. And now it's up to 90% full?
You're not supposed to stop until it says regen complete. How long did you drive?

You're looking at at least 45 minutes of driving at highway speed without stopping, probably more. You need to get to the nearest highway on ramp and drive! You need to get the exhaust temps up fast and not let them go down, meaning do not do any stop and go if you can help it. When it hits 100% it'll go into reduced power mode, and you'll most likely have to go to the dealer. Page 65 of my manual has all this info.
DieselWorkin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaName View Post
You're not supposed to stop until it says regen complete. How long did you drive?

You're looking at at least 45 minutes of driving at highway speed without stopping, probably more. You need to get to the nearest highway on ramp and drive! You need to get the exhaust temps up fast and not let them go down, meaning do not do any stop and go if you can help it. When it hits 100% it'll go into reduced power mode, and you'll most likely have to go to the dealer. Page 65 of my manual has all this info.
Page 65 of my manual is something about seat restraints.. Anyways, the nearest on ramp is in houston.. an hour and 30 minutes from here of stop and go back roads
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Out There, Savin' Lives

You might try hooking a heavy trailer to the truck and find a loop that you can drive while towing in 5th gear to do the regen.
O.O., 01.5, 2500, H.O.(245/505), 6 Speed/NV5600, 3.55's, 4x4, QCLB, Sport, 105k, currently stock engine, K&N Air Filter, 285/75R16s, Glow Shift Gauges: FP, Boost, EGT, Oil Temp, SMARTY@1, lift pump 19@idle, 14@WOT, Propane, IAT Fooler = More MPG, 2 Stroke!!
Toys:
'79 CJ5, 258ci, 3" lift, 33x12.50x15, Stock Engine and 3 Speed Tranny, '05 GSX1300R Hayabusa
stodg73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Grande View Post
Page 65 of my manual is something about seat restraints.. Anyways, the nearest on ramp is in houston.. an hour and 30 minutes from here of stop and go back roads
Ok, I was just giving you the page so you could see the info first hand.

Well, a highway isn't absolute required, the point is you just need to drive it - and drive it hard at this point. Driving on the highway lets the the regeneration cycle do it's thing most efficiently, but you can still clean it out if you can maintain decent speeds. One thing is certain, don't idle the truck or putt around at all until you get the regen complete or the % full goes away. I would take the truck out and drive until either happens. Put the pedal to the floor every straight away. Good luck, thank the EPA.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodg73 View Post
You might try hooking a heavy trailer to the truck and find a loop that you can drive while towing in 5th gear to do the regen.
That's a good idea too. Hook up some weight and you'll be building up heat easier, especially if it's slow going back roads.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Why are you guys telling him to go out and drive his truck like he stole it? You just need to get out on the hwy and keep your speed up above 50mph or so and the regen will start around 5 min after you have maintained that speed. After regen has started your OHD will say "regeneration in process". The percentage will go down but if it's like mine after it gets to 70% it'll ding at you then say the regen is complete. Mine just did this last night and it prolly started with in 2 miles of maintaining 50mph and only took 4-5 mile to complete the process. I suppose every truck can be different but that has been my experience with the regen process.
tanzuki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.