DPF deletes / fuel mileage / performance - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DPF deletes / fuel mileage / performance

Ok so lets hear some honest answers from the guys who have done deletes on their trucks. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L engine with 3.73 rear end.

I am looking to see what is the best DPF delete kit out there, the cost etc.

I would also like to know how the mileage was affected before and after the delete was installed and same for performance. And exactly what performance gains you got.

I am seriously considering a DPF delete kit, but I am unsure which one to get and what problems if any I will have once I install it. Knock on wood, over 20,000 miles on my truck now and no problems thus far.

Also, is it better to go with stacks or a cat back exhaust ? I would like to see if there would actually be a difference.

Thanks in advance.
DieselDog208 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have 2008 6.7 w/3.73 rear. Did deletes get 18 mpg. No problems. Did have problems before deletes around 30K, the dpf clogged up w/soot, and O2 sensor. Truck runs 100% better w/deletes. I used HS performance XRT.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

All of the numbers are hand calculated. Just did the deletes, i pieced together my deletes, bought a used smarty and delete pipe. I used a $2 freeze plug to block off my egr. I was getting 18 mpg going up into the rockies and back, now im getting 21.1 and 21.2 on two tanks. On the 21.2 tank i did about an hour of 5-10 miles per hour. It was snowing so i went slow up the mountain which saved some fuel.

Generally on the highway i was getting 21 mpg on a tank of 100% freeway (i drive 65). The highest i ever got stock was 23.1 driving across nevada with no wind and cruising at 60 mph. Havent had a chance to get a full tank off highway in yet but im expecting something like 23 or so.

edit: you really dont need a kit, its much cheaper to find some used parts. There is no difference between a new programmer and used one, except the price!

Last edited by Offroadjunkie; 10-30-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Offroadjunkie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I always do +5 over the limit so 80 on the freeways out here, 4x4, 285 tires. I rarely see under 18mpg now. 17.9-18.8. I used to get 15.8-16.8. I rarely saw above 17.5.
Edit: SW5 setting btw

Last edited by jomobco; 10-31-2010 at 10:24 AM.
jomobco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I agree. Get a delete pipe and a used Smarty. I would suggest a 5" turbo back with muffler.
I'm getting 18 mpg hand calculated. My truck will smoke the rear tires if I want it to and im on "economy" mode. Runs much better than ever.
Soilsample is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Is it a pain to Put all the stock stuff on for emissions tests?

Sorry Newb here.
timberrr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Not really, it will probably take you an hour to put the dpf back on. My egr delete is a stealth delete so i dont have to worry about putting that back on.
jseidell (11-02-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Truck per sig. Bought it used with 23K miles, did deletes almost immediate after purchase. Overhead was saying 14.5 mpg on winter fuel before deletes. Now with all highway I get over 19 mpg, usually about 16 mpg with daily driving which is mixed city/hwy. I do notice LOTS more power after deletes and mods. Also I know the engine will last much longer without all that soot going thru the intake.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I did the Deletes and use an XRT didn't delete the ERG just turned it off and unhooked it.
I get 19-21 around the city and 23-24 on the highway. i normally run 70-77 on the highway.
truck has been deleted for about 6 months
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Silver Bullet

I bought my truck brand new and right at 10,000 miles the truck went into limp mode. Drove it to the dealer and they had it for three weeks, cleaned out egr, and turbo. Made it another 15,000 miles and did the same thing. Before deletes the truck got 21 mpg cruising 60 mph. I did a 8 inch lift and 37s the mpg droped to 16.5 cruising 60. I put a hypertech on stage 3 and mpg went up to about 19-20. I did a 11 inch lift and 40s and it droped to about 15-16 mpg. Then i did a egr delete and a 5in turbo back straight exhaust, with the xrt on the 175 tune with mild fuel and extreme turbo. My mpg went to about 19 highway and 15-16 town, not bad for 40 inch tires and stock gears. Now im going to about 10inches of lift with 38 inch tires, ill let you know what the milage goes too. The only reason why i did the deletes was because my truck was spending more time at the dealer and i still had a 720 dollar a month payment for a truck i was not able to drive. Not one problem after all deletes, runs perfect.

Last edited by trevorpschield; 11-01-2010 at 10:40 PM.
trevorpschield is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

DPF, EGR deletes

this may be a dumb question but doing these deletes voids dodges 100k mile warranty right? i have 60k on my 6.7 no problems but i am seeking more fuel mileage and more longevity with a side of power of course...it will be a long time before i reach 100k miles and ive been through a couple turbos already that the dealer paid for because of the warranty, and i doubt i could afford to void that warranty..
theberserker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The reason your turbos are dying is because of soot going through the turbo from the emissions junk. If you delete while you have a clean turbo, you shouldn't have those problems again.
Soilsample is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.