Cummins DPF Issues - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cummins DPF Issues

I'm researching 3500 diesel trucks to pull 5th Wheel that's yet to be purchased. I'm long time Dodge owner/fan but very concerned about DPF issues with the 6.7L. Don't see many complaints posted on this forum in contrast to other forums favoring Duramax engines that paint negative picture of Cummins. Just want unbiased feedback if that's really possible.

I'm fast getting impression the Cummins 6.7L is not a fit for my needs - predominately light load highway driving with intermittent heavy towing.

Love the 2010 3500 Mega but unless/until Dodge/Cummins addresses emissions issues (that become real safety issues) am I just asking for trouble?
Hobo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

If you are buying new then there isn't any issue. The vast majority of the problems occurred in the 7.5 and 08 model years. By 09 they had it pretty much sorted.

I have an 09 with 15k on it. No problems. Not even a hint of one. I have yet to tow with my truck but have no fear at all that the 6.7L can handle anything I can throw at it. The only people that tend to run into problems are the ones who use the truck as a 4 ton grocery getter and don't drive their truck at highway speeds for any period of time on a regular basis.

The keys to not having problems with your truck if you are leaving it stock are fairly simple. Don't baby it. Drive it at 55 mph+ often. Keep to the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Changing oil sooner than 7.5k is probably a good idea. I do mine every 5k. Run the exhaust brake a couple times a week minimum. Keeping it on all the time (excepting conditions where doing so is unsafe...) is also not a bad idea.

If you don't care about the warranty on the engine and have even a smidgeon of wrench skill you can add a tuner and do the deletes and forget about all of the emissions related troubles you can get with improper use of the vehicle.

In short, the Dmax guys don't know a damn thing about the cummins and they just like to hype their overpriced road princess 'maxis. Even if they are pretty nice trucks...
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
...predominately light load highway driving with intermittent heavy towing.
I haven't had mine for long (going on 2 months,) but from what I've seen, your driving conditions are a pretty good match for the CTD. What you DON'T want to be doing is driving 4 miles to work, park it, 4 miles home. If you're running a lot of highway (empty or loaded) you aren't likely to see any probs with the emissions systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to netomh For This Useful Post:
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your input. Dodge Salesman also told me DPF issues have" all but disappeared". Not sure this squares up with the "DPF Delete" traffic at my rural after-market performance shop averaging 1-3 deletes a week and have six (6) 2010 Dodges on the waiting list. This shop favors Duramax and may be biased - but why spin something like this?

Last edited by Hobo; 08-30-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Accuracy in statements
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I'm not trying to spin it the other way, but are all those deletes at that shop being done because the owners had problems? I'd be willing to bet (at least a dime) that most are either looking for more power or mileage, or they're worried about potential problems in the future.

Oh, and I wouldn't believe the Dodge salesman either. In this case, I hope he's right - but in general, if he told me my hair was on fire, I'd first try to figure out how he was planning to make more money off of my flaming follicles...then I'd sniff for smoke...feel for heat...THEN I'd believe him.
The Following User Says Thank You to netomh For This Useful Post:
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The spin is pretty easy to explain. Everyone has their favorites.

The delete traffic is easy to explain as well. In terms of what you gain in increased drivability, longevity, fuel economy (as much as 25% on some trucks) and all around peace of mind it is certainly worth it.

Some advice, do more reading and take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Personally, I spent almost a year researching the new truck before I bought it and talked to alot of folks about their rigs before I made my decision. Go to a couple of local RV parks/state parks and talk to owners and see what they think of their trucks. Be sure to ask them about what they don't like about their truck or what they wish they would have done.

The salesman is likely the worst place to get your info.
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Would never want to bash the DMax guys (all diesels are good) but, I have an 05 DMax and an 08 Cummins and will only pull with the Cummins.
Black 2008, DRW, 4x4, QC, automatic, 4:10's.
Dark gray 05, 2500, 4X4, QC, 5 speed automatic, LLY, Duramax, stock.
prospo is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to prospo For This Useful Post:
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

We are really happy with our 2008. It's completely stock, has the latest ECM re-flash and is just shy of 35000 kms (about 22000 miles). Only engine warranty item so far was an oxygen sensor. We do pull heavy trailers quite often with this truck so it probably works harder than most other daily drivers.
Hobo (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have had my 2010 6.7L Cummins in my truck with zero issue. I average 19.8 MPG combined and pulled a buddy's 7000 lb boat effortlessly! I did a great deal of research ahead of the purchase and to date am very please with my truck. Oh ya, with over 11,000 KM I have never had the DP Regen code mode kick in.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have an 07.5 3500 cummins and 90% of its driving is 5-6 miles to work and back. It had 60k when I bought it and I've put over 10k on it and haven't had any problems. I plan on the deletes just for mileage and power but thats it. A lot of people bash the 07.5's and its just unfounded. Of course the Dmax guys are going to bash cummins because they're envious.

Bottom line the 6.7 Cummins is the only engine of the 3 that is used in medium duty trucks. Also when ford gets up to F-550 + they use a 6.7 cummins. Coincidence? I think not. If you want to work or pull something then the Cummins is your choice. If you want a pretty race truck then by all means get a Powerstroke or a Duramax.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL6Power View Post
I have had my 2010 6.7L Cummins in my truck with zero issue. I average 19.8 MPG combined and pulled a buddy's 7000 lb boat effortlessly! I did a great deal of research ahead of the purchase and to date am very please with my truck. Oh ya, with over 11,000 KM I have never had the DP Regen code mode kick in.
Impressed with your mpg's. I'm in the LoneStar state - Maybe the 6.7L likes the cooler weather?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I just came from an 06 duramax. That was supposedly the year to have. The cummins pulls much nicer. I had performance parts on my duramax, so it was faster off the line. However it can only be a fair comparison when I have a equal amount done to the new truck. Keep in mind that the new powerstrokes and duramaxs have that urea system. The stuff is as high as $18 gallon and must be added every oil change. Just food for thought, I think there the ones with problems now. Ps iv owned all three brands and the dodge is the best so far. Also I bought my truck from a die-hard Ford guy, he just switched dealerships because of how far Ford has fallen.
kevinb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.