Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7, delete, SMARTY JR, black smoke

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Homebrewer6.7 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a new member, and new to the diesel community. I just purchased an 2008 with a 6.7 and it smokes more than I would like (prefer as little as possible). When I test drove the truck the previous owner just did a DPF delete since his DPF was getting clogged. That day, I do not recall any smoke when driving the truck. We agreed that he would finish the job and tune with SMARTY JR. which he did, and I got the truck a week later.

When I took the truck home it smoked a great deal, and was tuned with the 40HP setting. I really do not want to increase power on tuning, I am just looking for it to run well (no CEL) and stock setting. I did research and set the SMARTY at (0 standard). My understanding is back to stock tuning except deletes still in place?

So, trying to find out what is causing the black smoke when I accelerate? It did appear to get better on the stock tune, but still too smokey. Can you run a DPF delete and not have smoke? Do I have to get the DPF back in to get rid of the smoke? I read that maybe an injector issue causing me to run to rich, or just not enough air. And SMARTY version is 6.05. Oh, and I checked my intake sensors MAF and IAT and they are both clean...no soot.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

See less See more
#2 ·
What was your timing (TM) set at? (You can't change it on the "0" setting)
Is your Egr valve plunger removed and actuator plugged in? (If you don't know try unplugging the egr valve actuator and see if the soot clears up)
Are the TCV and egr cooler servos unplugged?
Check your air cleaner.

I'm running the 70 HP tune with TM on 3 and have very little soot from the exhaust.

Check your MAP sensor. It's the one that gets gunked up.

Reactions: N1NJ4ON3R
#3 ·
Thanks for the response Rider. I have not touched the timing, so you think I am better off going back to the 40HP tune and then doing tweaks?

As for the EGR, with the SMARTY delete, I left the EGR plugged in. From what a read, it sounded like you can leave plugged in or unplug. I will try an un-plug and see how it runs.

I have also not touched the TCV or EGR cooler servos. Should I? I do not have any CEL, so everything has been left as it, besides the delete pipe for the DPF.

I checked the air box, and the air filter looks brand new. My oil was black and I have no receipts to see when the last service was done, so I did an oil change today.

I will check the MAP sensor tomorrow and see how it looks.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response Rider. I have not touched the timing, so you think I am better off going back to the 40HP tune and then doing tweaks?
don't change it until you get the egr stuff sorted. Afterwards go ahead back to the 40hp tune and default TM timing and see how it looks
As for the EGR, with the SMARTY delete, I left the EGR plugged in. From what a read, it sounded like you can leave plugged in or unplug. I will try an un-plug and see how it runs.
There are certain steps you need to do with the egr connections when you delete with a Smarty tuner. You can download the delete instructions from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kywi3odf...eview=Mads+3rd+Gen+ME+Delete+Instructions.pdf
Follow them and see if the exhaust clears up
I have also not touched the TCV or EGR cooler servos. Should I? I do not have any CEL, so everything has been left as it, besides the delete pipe for the DPF.
follow the delete instructions
I checked the air box, and the air filter looks brand new. My oil was black and I have no receipts to see when the last service was done, so I did an oil change today.
your oil will turn black in just a couple of hundred miles after changing the oil. Once the egr system is disabled it will take 2 or 3 oil changes to clean all the soot out of the engine.
It's one of the wonderful benefits of having a working egr system.
I will check the MAP sensor tomorrow and see how it looks.
Since you don't have any history on it I would do the basic maintenance like changing the fuel filter and air filter (if you have any doubts about it) and start off fresh

#7 ·
Block off plates are not needed, and definitely not recommend on a Commiefornia truck. The plates are only used to "clean up" the engine bay so it looks less cluttered.

Reactions: Homebrewer6.7
#8 ·
#9 ·
Did the EGR valve plunger, EGR Cooler sensor, and throttle valve sensor this morning. Two test drives thus far, smoke has basically disappeared!!! My EGR plunger deffinitely did not look as clean as the one in the instructions. I forgot to check my MAP sensor, I will go back later and clean it though. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.