block heater cord - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
block heater cord

i bought a mopar heater cord. plugged into block by oil filter an ran cord to front bumper. cord had another plug on it. didn't see where it would plug in. any ideas?
hayhaulercummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Work to sled

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
That is for battery blankets, which would be extra.
B&W/AMP Research/Transfer Flow/Bakflip/Rigid
-lenny- is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to -lenny- For This Useful Post:
hayhaulercummins (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

okay thanks for the help. how warm shoud the truck be after being plugged in for the night at 28 degrees
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Im not sure exactly degree wise but my dads truck in just a little warm but not too hot to touch. All I know is it starts right up on a 10 degree night...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Work to sled

28 degrees you don't really need to be plugged in. At that temp your grid heater probably won't even cycle (assuming the truck was plugged in). I don't plug my truck in till the temp is in the mid teens. This past week was right around -40* here, and I have my truck on a timer so the power does not turn on till 4 AM, and I leave at 7:30. It won't get warm enough to show temp on the gauge, but the truck starts just fine. Having it plugged in for a long time won't hurt anything, it just wastes electricity.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

ya that is a battery plug there are 2 cords from mopar that one is for extreme cold weather trucks mostly Alaska and Canada. the first one i seen i sent back because i didn't know what it was..
gimp5561 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah i have a timer for 330-530 and i know it will start fine at low temps without the heater but its a lot better for the motor when the block is warm. correct? i didnt notice it registering on the gauge at startup like you said but it def reached 190 quicker once it started
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
28 degrees you don't really need to be plugged in. At that temp your grid heater probably won't even cycle (assuming the truck was plugged in). I don't plug my truck in till the temp is in the mid teens. This past week was right around -40* here, and I have my truck on a timer so the power does not turn on till 4 AM, and I leave at 7:30. It won't get warm enough to show temp on the gauge, but the truck starts just fine. Having it plugged in for a long time won't hurt anything, it just wastes electricity.
dont the glow plugs cycle at any temp anyways granted you wait for them to cycle even when it is warm
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Work to sled

The grid heater will not cycle at all in warmer temps, somewhere around 55* or so. I have had my truck plugged in when it didn't get very cold, but still below freezing, and the truck was warm enought that the grid heater did not come on at all. It has its own indicator light.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Mexico Chapter Vice President

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
no glow plugs on our trucks..only grid heater..and theres a sensor that only kicks it on below a certain temp
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

okay. i new the wait to start light wont come on when block is warm but i didnt know there was a sensor that kept them from cycling when it was warm. i always heard u should always wait for a few seconds to start regardless of temp, is there no truth to this. have i been wasting time
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Work to sled

I usually wait till the water in fuel light goes off. Gives the fuel system time to charge up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.