2008 Towing (Ram 2500) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2008 Towing (Ram 2500)

Did paperwork (haven't yet completed or exchanged checks yet) on a new 2010 Roadwarrior 395 Toy Hauler.

Specs for towing are:

Toy-Hauler Weight:

Hitch Weight 3,191 lbs
Dry Weight 13,272 lbs
Gross Weight 18,000 lbs
Axle Weight 18,000 lbs

Dodge Ram 2500 Capability:

Towing capacity: 13,600 pounds[1]
Payload capacity: 3,350 pounds[1]
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): 20,000 pounds[1]

I've been quoted the 5th wheel hitch, 3 axle brake system and the Dodge mounting kit. Dealer says my truck should be able to tow no issue.

Looking at the numbers above, fully loaded, I'd be WELL over the GCWR of the truck by at least 5000 pounds (if the truck weighs 7500 pounds).

What's the real deal? Anybody have any insight? I don't have airbags and my 6.7L is stock.
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i (with everything!)

UtahBruteForce is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The truck will pull the load, but are you in a zone of safety with that much excess weight. Probably not. You have too much trailer or too little of a truck. I pull 10k fully loaded and is really a joke. The truck can pull waaaaay more weight that that. You might have issues with breaking or control in cross winds. I could not really say, but I trust the specs to a certain degree and you just might be corssing the line. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pure Diesel Power

Truck will tow it without issues. Be sure to get air bags or timbrens to keep the truck level while towing. It would be nicer with a dually but you'll do fine.
2008 Dodge 3500 6.7L Cummins G56
1999 Dodge 3500 5.9L Auto 2.6 Puller
1998 Dodge 2500 12V CTD 3.0 Puller
1998 Dodge 3500 12V CTD DD
1997 Dodge 2500 CTD DD
1996 Dodge 2500 CTD DD
Bobcat698 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I tow a 40' open road 4 slideout 5er that goes 13,000 empty. No sweat for my 2500 but my pin wieght is 1900lbs so no airbags are needed.You will need some with your pin wieght. With my deletes and programmer I get 14mpg towing on the interstate at 65mph.(no hills in florida)
Hail chaser (07-05-2013)
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I agree with others, the pulling won't be the issue. I have a 38' 5er weighing right at 13k dry, truck is at 8200 with fuel. I added air bags and she rides smooth and level. With the wind out here in West Texas, I crave a dually when pulling the trailer. I also have a 74 gallon auxillary tank in the bed with a B&W set up, lots of added weight when you throw in the Ranch Hand front bumper and added fuel. I average right at 11 hand calculated running 65 up and down our hills out here on BFG KM2 285's while in tow.

KE5TXK
CheddarWedge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you like you can send me PM with your email address and Ill shoot you a towing demonstrator. Its written in excel and all you have to do is put in the weights and it will show you if your truck is capable or not.

Also, go to the site Trailer Life Magazine: Follow the Road to Adventure. On the main page down on the right had side you will see tow rating pdfs. You can open or download and look up your truck.

And ... take your truck to a CAT scale at a truck stop. I use one close to the house cost me 8 bucks to find out the exact weight of my truck.
09 6.7l QC ST 4x4 3:73 68RFE
sumncguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I tow basically the same trailer with mine with airbags no problem. I have a 3912 Cyclone, and my friend has a 2008 3500 and tows a 4012 cyclone. You won't even know they are back there, just make sure you have some 10 ply e rated tires. I have a gooseneck adapter and have driven through a 60 mph crosswind through Texas and didn't even feel it except for my MPG tanked. For the guy below me the crosswind isn't a factor at all on a fifth wheel. It's completely different from a bumper pull. The COG is low compared to a bumper pull.

My boss just bought a Road Warrior and tows it with an 06 PSD. He was constantly overheating it but it was a PSD. I have no problems with my truck. Nice trailer but look it over very carefully and make a list of stuff immediately that needs to be fixed. His microwave fell through the cabinet, it had a water leak, and the hot water heater wasn't assembled properly.

Last edited by Suprcynic; 10-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Suprcynic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

You may have already done this but check out the trailer info sticker for water tank size, fuel station capacity, I know you have at least one big heavy ATV...man when you add it all up! My 26' rampage weighs 7000 dry and goes well over 9000 to 10000 loaded depending on if the rino is in there or not. I know 5'ers (wish I would have gone that route sometimes) pull a bit different but I can certainly tell when mine is back there, but on the other hand I can still pull Daniels summit at 65 with the AC blasting away! I find the biggest issue I have is with wind, these Toy haulers are so tall they really get pushed around! I would just be carfull with your decision, and it may be perfectly fine....I myself wish I had a 3500 with my smaller TH....not so much the weight but the stability! But its probably nothing a set of airbags couldnt solve! Sounds like a very nice TH....there is nothing better in the world!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

great info on the tires. 10 plys are a must.

I tow at 26 to 28k often with a gooseneck and 18 to 20k with a tag a long. As long as your truck is set up and your respect the load (no pun intended) you'll be all good.

When you are towing heavy the big things to remember are being patient and prep work.

Having a good tool kit, floor jack, two spares for the trailer, etc makes towing tons more fun.

Air up your tires to take the weight including the trailer. Air bags make everything better!

One other trick with the toy haulers or big rv's is to wait until you get close to were you are going to fill your water tank and aux fuel tank for the fuel station/generator. That extra water and fuel weighs a lot.

Side Note: Most people forget that the shackles, bushings, and bolts in the trailer suspension are wear items. Something to check every year. It will tow a lot better with them in good shape. Plus it sucks when you are at 60 and one gives out (fun fix on the side of the road in the rain).

The parts are really cheap too.
04.5 QdCB 4X4 AT, Spr "B" Special, 'Pusher' int horn, PacBrake, Edge w/Att, S&B Cool air, FASS + 2 micron, 4" MBRP, 35 Toyo MT's, air bags, spr hitch, B&W hitch, BD Trani parts, 1 pc Alum DL, guages, lock up switch, smk switch, hrn blstrs
crazycatman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
wcg

towing demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumncguy View Post
If you like you can send me PM with your email address and Ill shoot you a towing demonstrator. Its written in excel and all you have to do is put in the weights and it will show you if your truck is capable or not.

Also, go to the site Trailer Life Magazine: Follow the Road to Adventure. On the main page down on the right had side you will see tow rating pdfs. You can open or download and look up your truck.

And ... take your truck to a CAT scale at a truck stop. I use one close to the house cost me 8 bucks to find out the exact weight of my truck.
please send the Excel towing demonstrator, my email is wcguerra@net. THANKS
Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yeah no prob .. but your email addy doesnt look quite right

"wcguerra@net" ... at any rate .... lets see iffn me .zip attachment made it.

If not .. or you cant open .zip ... you need to give me a good email address.

Best Regards
Chris

Last edited by sumncguy; 11-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Whoaaa man !!! Hold the fort.

I was just looking over your numbers again ... I am no expert ... but the Hitch weight looks way out of proportion.

If the dry weight of the TH is 13,272 lbs, then the hitch weight will be 10-15% of that so

either 1,327 or 1,991 .... not 3,191 ... typo maybe ?

Toy-Hauler Weight:

Hitch Weight 3,191 lbs
Dry Weight 13,272 lbs
Gross Weight 18,000 lbs
Axle Weight 18,000 lbs

In ref to tires ... Another thing that is not often known

Pay attention to the DOT numbers on the sidewall.
4503 = manufacture date of 45th week of 2003
0209 = manufacture date of 2nd week of 2009.
Three years is max according to "industry standards" .. what ever that means.

There is another tag used .. think its CTOG sumtin like dat .. go to Discounttire.com and read up on tires .. and

yes with that kind of weight .. do go with 10 plys. Passengers may be able to do the pull ... but they really arent desiged to tow the kind of weight your talking about. My personal preference is .. "My wife and kids, dog, cat, duck, horse, cow and anything else they can through in is / are on that rig. I dont want to take the chance of hurting them. I love ducks ! :P"

Just my 2 cents !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.