P0402-egr Flow Excessive Detected??? Now what - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question P0402-egr Flow Excessive Detected??? Now what

Well, I threw this code tonight and have read a couple of posts on this and I was wondering if there is any new developments on fixing this other than the dealership or deletes. I run exhaust brake on all the time and my insight shows my soot to be at 3.7% making me think that my truck is pretty clean. I'm wondering if I could drive the piss out of it and see if the EGR Valve shall unstick itself or if I need to take it to the dealer. Let me know what ya'll think. 11500 miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
You're wrong! Get over it

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,425 Posts
The code should clear over time. Mine stuck, I guess, to throw the CEL and code. Then a few key cycles later and it was gone.
2008 QC-LB,2500,4X4,White/Kaki,Big-Horn,3.73 Auto, MyGig Nav unit, K&N no baffle,DPF quit working, GHD, Shibby stage 1 intake & boost tube, Smarty, PMT for gauges, Mag-Hytec Pan & Diff covers.Dad2bike-installs-some-shibby-goodies..... DIY Deletes How-To
SNAFU
dad2bike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Mine used to throw that code every couple thousand miles or so.
07.5 QCSB 4X4,CumminsForum leveling kit, Synergy,Anarchy,H&S O/D TCM,GDP S-3,boost tube,and ccv delete,Full Shibby egr deletes,S&B,DashHawk,B&W,Prodigy P3,AirLift,CD box brace,Borgeson,5-5100 Bilsteins,Maxx Links, 17x9 XD Hoss and Toyo AT2's.
seanth468 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Well, I may call the stealership and see what the recommend and then do nothing! One things for sure, I DO NOT want a new flash. I'll keep driving it though. From my earlier readings people said it was fine to keep driving. More incentive to do the deletes.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

If you decide to take your rig to the dealership, let us know the outcome..thx

Nye.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

its from ur intake... i used to get it with my S&B and boost fooler.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke101 View Post
its from ur intake... i used to get it with my S&B and boost fooler.
And did you do anything to fix it?

Nye, I'll let you know. But I am doing everything within my power to stay away from the dealership. It's amazing that so many goobers work at one location instead of spread out over many locations.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine throws that code every once in a while but will clear itself after a few restarts. If it sticks around more than a few restarts, then I would take it in.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalman7 View Post
And did you do anything to fix it?

Nye, I'll let you know. But I am doing everything within my power to stay away from the dealership. It's amazing that so many goobers work at one location instead of spread out over many locations.
smarty lol. no i blocked off my egr and just get that one code for egr
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Dealership mechanic is doing everything he can to help out. I told them that I would have to have a comparable truck that could tow 15000+ since I was in the middle of hauling hay. The mechanic said that this was something I would have to get used to (soot on my EGR Valve) and that this would become a routine thing for us 6.7 guys. He said I probably needed the newest flash and I told him there would be no way he would flash my truck and he said "you guys must be forming a pact because you aren't the first guy to say that." He asked if I was concerned with them locking my ECM which I was. He then told me that he could send me home with a cleaned EGR and I could fix the problem myself if I wanted to (he was serious and nice about it so I didn't think he was just being a ) to save me some time. I might take him up on that offer if I don't do the deletes before I have a problem. He said that I would probably be driving down the road some day and the truck would just fall on its face because the DPF was sooted up completely. I am seriously considering the deletes now because I shouldn't have to have a "routine" cleaning on my EGR just to keep my truck functional. It's like driving these trucks is becoming a privilege and work all at the same time. Let me know what y'all recommend on the deletes and what is necessary as far as egr delete do I have to delete the cooler etc...

Once again thanks in advance,

Jim
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Hi
As others have already chimed in, p0402 can be an erroneous code and not necessarily related to a real fault condition. The TSB 18-024-09 that I posted was abbreviated and I took another look and found the post did not contain the portion.
__________________________________________________ ______________
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customers may experience:
a. An erroneous MIL illumination for P2262 - Turbocharger Boost Pressure Not
Detected - Mechanical.
b. Improved diagnostics for P2299 - Brake Pedal Position / Accelerator Pedal Position
Incompatible.
c. An erroneous MIL illumination for P0402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow
Excessive Detected.
d. An erroneous MIL illumination for P040B - EGR Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit
Performance.
e. An erroneous MIL illumination for P0405 - EGR Position Sensor Circuit Low.
__________________________________________________ ______________

The flash BD/AV contains a number of functional improverments and is highly recommended .
It could prevent several failures from occuring and save you many bucks in the long run.
It does NOT contain any stealth programs that will lock up your ecm.
Just my 2 cents.
Charlie
RegenerationCompleted is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RegenerationCompleted For This Useful Post:
skoalman7 (09-10-2009), willym (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Regeneration Complete,

Do you recommend doing the deletes? EGR/DPF??? If you do, what TBE do you recommend I want to go with a 4" but do you have a preference on brands? Let me know what you think. Or anyone else who wants to chime in!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.