Knocking noise from motor - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Knocking noise from motor

Hi guys...recently I've noticed some knocking/ticking noise coming from the motor ( about 2 fill ups ago ). It is most significant when I'm in 6th gear (auto) just a lil above 1000rpm and i slowly start to accelerate...i hear this knocking noise coming from the motor...and it kinda goes away when I'm closer to the 2000rpm range then after that i just hear the turbo spool...and then past that I don't really hear the knocking noise...And once the truck is warmed up...if i roll up to a stop light doing less than 20km/hr at almost idle speed...every now and then i hear this louder knocking noise..and the rpm kinda bogs down maybe by a tiny bit..it is not consistent...it kinda comes and goes...but this knocking is louder than the knocking when accelerating and is annoying

So the question is...would it be just some bad fuel??? or maybe the fuel filter is clogged? I drained the fuel filter with the little drain plug and also put in some injection cleaner...it seemed to help A BIT...the truck has 26600kms and only has the egr unplugged...The airfilter is kinda dirty but it is still acceptable...I'm gonna change the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that helps...any ideas???? pleeease and thank you! thanks for reading

-Boris
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

32 views and no reply??? anyone? please....
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
mine does th exact same thing, there was another thread on it and nobody can seem to figure it out. just my 2cents
Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kansas Cummins Crew

I would lean more to bad fuel. I would smell the fuel, and drain your fuel/water seperator into a mason jar so you can see what you got. If all those things pass inspection, then I'd add some red top power service. Let us know....
2008 Crew Cab, Debadged, G56/3.42's, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Exhaust, Intake Baffle Removed, 5.9 Air Filter, High Idle (pto) Feature, Valair Nodular Dual Disc, Cobra 29 WX, Ramsey 8000#Ind. Winch, 2.5" Spacers Front, 2" Rear Blocks,and ProComp 35/12.50/17's
Proud U.S. Army Soldier-21E
moparpower1985 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW86 View Post
Hi guys...recently I've noticed some knocking/ticking noise coming from the motor ( about 2 fill ups ago ). It is most significant when I'm in 6th gear (auto) just a lil above 1000rpm and i slowly start to accelerate...i hear this knocking noise coming from the motor...and it kinda goes away when I'm closer to the 2000rpm range then after that i just hear the turbo spool...and then past that I don't really hear the knocking noise...And once the truck is warmed up...if i roll up to a stop light doing less than 20km/hr at almost idle speed...every now and then i hear this louder knocking noise..and the rpm kinda bogs down maybe by a tiny bit..it is not consistent...it kinda comes and goes...but this knocking is louder than the knocking when accelerating and is annoying

So the question is...would it be just some bad fuel??? or maybe the fuel filter is clogged? I drained the fuel filter with the little drain plug and also put in some injection cleaner...it seemed to help A BIT...the truck has 26600kms and only has the egr unplugged...The airfilter is kinda dirty but it is still acceptable...I'm gonna change the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that helps...any ideas???? pleeease and thank you! thanks for reading

-Boris
I'm not sure if this is what it is, but I could hear a knocking noise as well when the truck went into regeneration. I only correlated the two when I installed my Edge Juice and was alerted when I was in regen. Everytime it happened, I'd hear the knock.

When it wasn't in regen, the knock was gone.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparpower1985 View Post
I would lean more to bad fuel. I would smell the fuel, and drain your fuel/water seperator into a mason jar so you can see what you got. If all those things pass inspection, then I'd add some red top power service. Let us know....
Red top power service is what i used as what I said as the injection cleaner...i've put abt 250ml in there on my last fill up...it seemed to have helped a bit...

-Boris
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Could it be the turbo actuator cycling????? You know the exh. brake sliding vein not having the end points adjusted properly????
Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Well...I just got home from a 150km drive...when i turned onto my street...i was doing abt 30km/hr and the engine was almost at idle speed...and i was just coasting in whatever gear slowing down...i heard that knock...it just went...knock knock knock knock knock knock.......knock....knock knock knock...I really dunno what it is...I'm gonna be changing the fuel filter tonight...since it hasn't been changed since i got the truck and it's go almost 27000km on it...and i know that if I bring the truck into the dealer and get them to hear the motor...nothing will happen...siiigh
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kansas Cummins Crew

Yeah, it definatly wouldn't hurt to change the filter. But if that doesn't work you should atleast try taking it to the dealer. Your signature says your stock, so they should help you.
2008 Crew Cab, Debadged, G56/3.42's, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Exhaust, Intake Baffle Removed, 5.9 Air Filter, High Idle (pto) Feature, Valair Nodular Dual Disc, Cobra 29 WX, Ramsey 8000#Ind. Winch, 2.5" Spacers Front, 2" Rear Blocks,and ProComp 35/12.50/17's
Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Fuel filter has been changed as of tonight...still knocking/ticking noise coming from motor under light acceleration in the low rpm range (maybe is normal?)...but i haven't heard of the louder knocking when rolling to a stop...hopefully the knocking won't come back...I'll drive the truck for a few days...if the knocking comes back I'll just take the truck to the dealer...then it will be dpf and egr delete...thanks for all you guys' help...I really appreciate it!

-Boris
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kansas Cummins Crew

Huh? Keep us updated...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My truck made some knocking sounds a while back. I went through the whole thing to figure it out. So I finnaly took off the Edge and was gong to take the truck to the dealer. After I took off the Edge the truck was fine. I sent in the Edge and the curcuit board had fried. Just a thought to someone else whoe whrote about the knocking sound as well, because I know that PNW86 is stock already.
Quadman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.