Water Separator Drain--How Often? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 07.5 - 09 6.7 Liter Cummins > 07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Water Separator Drain--How Often?

How often is it required to drain the water separator part of these 6.7 trucks?
krazymatt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I usually just do it when I'm under there for an oil change. Doesn't take much time once your under. Sometimes only a few drops, sometimes a bit more.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
it would depend on how confident you are on the fuel you buy. i drain about 5,000 mi. intervals only because ive checked regularly and have never found any signs of water. i buy all my fuel at local truck stop.

i add an extension hose and drain into a clear clean bottle to visually inspect whats been drained. i only drain after trucks been sitting overnight so everything settles
Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
I've owned a diesel for many years and have yet to find any significant amount of water in the filter/separator. Just in case, I drain mine at each oil change and change the filter out at each second oil change.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I haven't looked at the part yet, but I'm assuming there is a valve there. Do I open the valve and just see what comes out or do I have to put the truck in the "on" position to get the fuel pump on? Thanks.
krazymatt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
I haven't looked at the part yet, but I'm assuming there is a valve there. Do I open the valve and just see what comes out or do I have to put the truck in the "on" position to get the fuel pump on? Thanks.
Before you do anything, buy about 4' of 3/8" ID clear tubing. This is to replace OEM tube and cut to desired length to reach your container.

To drain, I go in over driver's side front tire and loosen the bottom of the filter a couple turns or so. Mine doesn't really drop anything out at this point, so I briefly turn the key to on (no start). This spits enough fuel out IMO to get rid of any water.

I got some watered down fuel one time at a station in Wyoming. Took several filter changes to get rid of the water in fuel light.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

The only truck I know of that ever had much water in there was my ma's '93 after the local body shop replaced the box and pinched/cut the fuel filler hose. The tire would throw water on it and got a fair amount of dirt and water in the tank over several months. The tractor tends to collect water too, but I doubt it will burn more than 20 gallons all winter. Unless you leave it outside and take two months to run a tank of fuel through, or get a bad tank, you shouldn't have to mess with it.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I've found water (or some other sort of non diesel electrically conductive liquid) in my aftermarket separator, not much of it but something more than I would want going through the injection system.

I have yet to see any water separation efficiency numbers on the stock 6.7L filter so I really don't trust it for anything other than a secondary unit.

slagburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Slag - Are you running those Cat/Fleetguard filters in-line with the stock filter?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Is the water sep the same thing as the fuel filter?
2007 6.7, QCSB, 4x4,68RFE, 3:73, Insight, Amsoil bypass, 35x12.50x17 DC FCII on XD Misfit, 2" coil spacers Smarty 18ME, 5"TBE, Smoke Switch, B&G Modified Tune, Baffle gone

Last edited by Low Budget; 04-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Low Budget is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i just open the valve on mine with the truck running, and it will poor some diesel out and then i close it back after about 3 seconds, i know i am loosing some fuel, but it really isnt that much, and this way i know i am flushing it out.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
***The Radio Flyer***

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,050 Posts
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
I generally allow the Blue Bus to mark its territory about every 2nd fillup.

Greg
2014 RAM 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 385 hp 850 torque and AISIN 6 speed automatic in Flame Red, Snow Plow Prep Group (Protection Group & 220A Alternator), Popular Equipment Group, Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Appearance Group, Single Disc CD, LT235/80R17 General AmeriTrac TR OWL tires, Trailer Brake Control, 3.73 axle ratio, SIRIUS satellite radio, ParkSense Park Assist, Parkview Rear Backup Camera, B&W GNKR 1314 Gooseneck Hitch. Purchased new February 20th, 2014. Currently : 46,414 miles and 863 trouble-free hours as of November 18th, 2014. (Average Miles Per Hour = 53.8)
gsbrockman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.